PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Battlestar Fast-Attack Cutter

Namaste all.

Here is a model I have just finished. It's a kitbash of a, well... as the title says, a fast-attack cutter.
This ship is called Argo.

It's small--compared to a destroyer--and quick. It's shuttlebay is located in one of the notched sections. It carries a no fighters but has fifteen shuttlecraft. Ten of which are armed for ground assault and support of Colonial Marines.

On to the pics;
Bottom
Bow
Aft
Port
Starboard
Upper Port
Upper Starboard
Starboard Bow
Port Aft
Starboard Aft
Shuttlebay

This ship may or may not be a part of my fan-fiction. I haven't decided yet. So far I have a surviving Battlestar, light battlestar, a destroyer and a corvette.
I am not certain if I should have another small fast military vessel survive along with my 125 civilian ships.

Please enjoy.
:D
Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
What about it being a salvaged 'Ugly'? As in the mixed fighters from the Star Wars universe?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I like it! great concept!

Wyvern
Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Cool!

I second that motion, BSG (ha! I get it now!)
Looks like what a Battlestar might be if it "ejected" the rest of the ship (ala Star Trek 'saucer separation'.) So, what size is your model (2 inches, 3?) Very clean construction.

One quip: how are the engine 'tubes' constructed? I've been toying with the idea of using a method similar to the tubes you see in paper towels, toilet paper, etc. where the tupe is wrapped/glued diagonally around a mandrel, then a second layer added on the counter angle. Should make for a very strong and rigid tube. Trick is locating a mandrel (pipe, rod, wire, dowel, etc.) of the proper diameter, sufficient length and stiffness to do the trick. Hmm!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 06-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks gang.

The ship is built using the beautiful 'Gearz Battlestar kit'. The scale is 1/3999. All of the parts came from that kit with the exception of the engines.

The engines are the exhausts from a paper X-wing model. Which is approximately 1/60.

The entire length of the model is 7.75".

Neat idea about the ship being a version of 'lifeboat system' similar to ST. I had thought of something like that many years ago (although forgotten about until you mentioned it).
I may do a version of that in a future build. Similar in design to the 'Argo' yet with shorter engines in slightly different locations (They gotta fit inside the rest of the neck area. Plus have room for the rest of the interior like crew quarters, and such).

Thanks for the comments.
I enjoy receiving them.

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Making (up) history

Perhaps then that is the rational for your Argo, being that almost any spaceship design is of necessity modular in nature - in true 'ugly' fashion, say, took the 'ops' module of a BS and added bigger engines to make it 'free running' ship. Chop-chop, bob's your uncle, eh?:D
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale