PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Alternate Dimensions

Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Uss peleliu

This is an interesting ship
Attached Thumbnails
Uss peleliu-dsc03999.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04000.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04001.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04002.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04003.jpg  

Uss peleliu-dsc04004.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04005.jpg   Uss peleliu-dsc04006.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Hi Mchale, is this the smallest one you have done so far? I love star trek myself too. Nice job Mchale. Do you think you will ever try glue or do you just prefer tape for your models. I think you do a good job with the tape myself. It works well for you.

Good job Mchale.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks jim i have used glue and i don't like it it is messy and it moves to much
with tape i don't have that problem
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
:D.. I know exactly what you mean about it moving around. As I said tape works for you and you like using it. That means you will continue to enjoy building models and having fun. I am sure if you used glue it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks again for showing us your models. Keep up the good work Mchale.

Cheers
Jim
Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Great job on such a small model!

Glue takes some getting use to. The key is to use as little as possible. I'm glad you at least tried it. As Jim said, tape works for you and you do a very good job with it. I hope you are willing to give glue another chance in the future but for now keep doing it how YOU enjoy it and keep posting the photos.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM

thanks stephen
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.20 MB
mchale 3m and other brands some even in dollar stores sell double stick tape in scotch, masking, packaging, and foam! for taping the inside. this helps when i have a hard to reach spot, and i leave it there even after the glue drys!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Mchale, here is an idea. have you thought about puting the tape on the inside? Instead of using the glue tabs (cut the glue tabs off), just cut the tape to fit where you need it on th inside of the model and fit i together that way (just thought though).
You do good work just the way it is now though.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 140.78 MB
Glue doesn't have to move around.

Try these two ideas:

1) Take an old paintbrush and use it to apply a really thin layer of glue. Then when you hold the parts together, wait about ten-twenty seconds or so. It'll be a rock-solid bond that will hold up for a long time.

2) Use gel-type superglue. It's an instant bond that will also last forever. I use it on models all the time when I want a small part to glue.

Personally, I prefer a bit of permanency in my models (yes, even the ones I blow up! Can't wait till the Fouth! :D ), so I refrain from using tape. I find that tape will last maybe three years or so before it starts to come up. If it doesn't come up, it'll at least start curling around the edges. Plus I find that glue leaves a much better finish and doesn't allow anywhere *near* the amount of play in the joints that tape does.

However, if you want to continue using it, I don't see why you can't. Just consider trying to learn glue techniques sometime. I promise, you'll be glad you did.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
You seem to be a kitbash fan! I'm more into "canon" designs but nevertheless a nice idea.

The problem with this clear tape you're using is that it will get brownish over the years.

But I know what you mean about "messy" glue. Especially solvent-free glue will dry very slowly.
The best-known glue in Germany is UHU which I always use. One day my wife bought the solvent-free version of it by mistake. I tried it for exactly two minutes. Then I gave it to my daughter for use in school and bought the "good" one containing solvents.

Besides of that, the most important thing is that you apply the glue thin as Milleniumfalsehood already wrote.
Google Adsense