PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450

I had this model (as a large hardcover book) lying around for some time, and all the time it slightly intimidated but mostly fascinated me. I never had the space to build it before, but now in Nigeria I do. Betexa calls it "The biggest paper model of the biggest castle complex in the world", and as the kit consists of 248 sheets I will take their word for it. This should keep me busy for a while!

(photos from Betexa - Pra?ský hrad - po?kozený vn?j?í obal | BETEXA.cz)
Attached Thumbnails
Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-b.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-c.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-d.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-g.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-f.jpg  

Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-e.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-prazsky-hrad-210-h.jpg  
St. Peter's & Vatican - 1:3900 - Micromodels
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 AM

I will be starting with the crown piece of this complex, the St. Vitus Cathedral. I reckon this will already make a very nice stand-alone model by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1560.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1562.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1564.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1565.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1567.jpg  

Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1568.jpg   Prague Castle - Betexa - 1:450-img_1569.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I have that model too. I built the smaller (was it published by Albatros?) version years ago and it's still hanging on our wall. The castle itself is wonderfull and I have visited it several times. I will be watching this with great interest.

You certainly are not shy about big projects.

Tappi
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 502.39 MB
This looks to be a fascinating project!

Wyvern
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 AM

I'll have a very good reason to go to Prague on one of my leave trips now (not that I really need one - it's a fantastic city!). I visited Prague a few years ago, but didn't really take good pictures of the Castle.
Since the SD-14 I kinda like the big models, and at least in my Nigerian apartment I have the space that I don't have in the Netherlands!
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Betexa has a stand alone version of the cathedral in 1/350 scale. That makes a nice model too and gives plenty of opportunities to detail it further. I kinda got tempted to start either one of those when I saw this thread. Mabe I just follow for awhile and for starters. ;-)
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 AM

I don't have the 1:350 stand-alone cathedral, but from what I can see on the Betexa website the extra detail is especially in the more elaborate construction of the flying buttresses, and also some of the windows are done in bas-relief. Still, with the smaller 1:450 version I am quite impressed how much detail they reach with a limited number of parts (which fit very nicely, by the way).
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Good luck with the model ! I made it a few years ago and it took about 6 months !

There are many problems with it - the one you will find at the end is space ! There is one point where a logical break occures. I built two big bases and can slide the two pieces together.They live in a box about 4feet by 4 feet and 1.5 feet tall.

Another is the size of some of the pieces - it includes the courtyard areas and some of the walls. For some time I've been keeping courier envelopes and these make excelent reinforcement. I use photo mount because it's not water based so doesn't affect the paper. Placement is critical because once the bits are glued it's difficult - or almost impossible to separate them.

Although there are instrutions and drawings, some pieces are very difficult to place because the areas are not show properly.

This kit is miles better than the Albatross kit. The card is a better thickness, the fit is excelent (mostly) and the printing is "clean" - on the Albatross all the flying buttresses are different colours.

The most obviouse difference is the chimneys. The Betexa kit has 3D chimneys that slid into the roof, which makes lining up the stacks easy - If that word can be applied to some parts where one building has about 40 chimnies.

I think my other problem was that there is no identification for "vally" or "hill" folds. But after a time I got used to checking twice before I scorred any lines, although this wouldn't be a problem if you press the fold rather than score (ie cut partway through) the lines.

Don't let these comments put you off, there are problems but all can be solved and because it's so detailed it's easy to follow the paths where we've walked on our trips to the Castle.

Please let me know if you have any questions as you go along. It's a great subject and it's the only model where friends have been rendered dumb by it WOW factor !

I would have thought Nigeria was the last place to make paper models - unless you are in the dryer areas like Kano ?

I'll follow your build with interest

Cheers
Mike
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 AM

Hi Mike,

I was not expecting this to be an easy project! On the contrary, rather...

I am in Lagos, and with models printed on relatively lightweight paper (say 160 grams) I do have some climatic problems. Good-quality heavier paper tends not to be a big problem, and so far the cathedral has given me no problems. One problem is that most models I make will never leave Nigeria, but I'll probably donate them to schools. And it's good to have an evening hobby in this place...

Have you got any photos up of your build?

Cheers,
Marco
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Nice and... big project !!!
Google Adsense