PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
This is great Kevin...loving it so far! Will watch with great interest!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
OK - continuing with the idea of making buildings for the top-most plaza, I decided to carry on with the church building that goes on top.

The first picture below showns the church tower, and the 2 wings that go either side.

The second picture - the church tower base made up and one of the wings. The wings are quite tricky to make - three pieces and a bit of juggling to get it together.

Third picture shows the inside of a finished wing. Quite complex!

Picture Four. At this stage it was apparent that the wing I had built was badly out in terms of being square. Was it meant to be like this? Did not think so, but I decided to check.

Pictures Five and Six. Phew - the piece was NOT meant to be square as these two pictures of the base show! Glad all was OK!
Attached Thumbnails
Mont-Saint-Michel-p1.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-p2.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-p3.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-p4.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-p5.jpg  

Mont-Saint-Michel-p6.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Eternal Member

Picture 1 - and the other wing - this one IS square!

Picture 2 - both wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont-Saint-Michel-20.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-21.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Kevin,
I have always admired "Mont-Saint-Michel" in pictures and when I have seen it featured on television. It is a beautiful site no matter which direction you see it from. So I had to break away from the shipbuilding forum long enough to come over here and have a look. Nice work, and good luck with it.
Mike
Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A formidable project!

Looks great so far. One of the most beautiful of all cathedrals, in my opinion.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Eternal Member

Well onwards a bit more.........!

Incidentally do not expect things to happen too fast here - I only have a few hours a week for modelling (and also if other things do not call for attention)!

Right - here are a couple of buildings that go on the top along with part of the church.

First pic shows the components.

Second pic - the buildings made up. One is still not glued up - this clearly needs part of one of the big retaining walls for one side, so will have to wait for later.

I mentioned at the begining of this thread that I initally copied the book and reduced this model as I wanted something smaller.

I then carried out a size trial to see if what I had was buildable. The answer was no, so I tried reducing a little less and then retested. Seemed OK so I went ahead.

Third and fourth pictures. Hopefully I will not run into trouble later as some of the components are now pushing the limits a little. This picture shows one of the smaller buildings (in real life not as shoddy as it looks - it is now really magnified).

It is 7mm high, just 4mm long and 3mm wide. Any smaller and it would be problem to make, except using very fine paper!
Attached Thumbnails
Mont-Saint-Michel-24.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-25.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-25a.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-26.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Eternal Member

A bit more work on the buildings that go on top.

Pics 1 and 2 show a couple more of the buildings.

Pic 3 shows most of the buildings that will go onto the top plaza (which is in this photo in the top left).
Attached Thumbnails
Mont-Saint-Michel-26.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-27.jpg   Mont-Saint-Michel-28.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Coming along very well, Kevin. I love these architectural miniatures.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
Hey Kevin...that is great...3x4mm...outstanding! If I may, by how much did you shrink this bad boy? It is coming along great...enjoying this build thread very, very much...

I have a question...when you see that something is out of square...how do you go about fixing it? I worry about causing problems in other areas, so I'm reluctant to go trimming away at things to make them square...do you trim away the tabs and just trim edges or do you build up other areas?

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
This is coming along very nicely. I have built a couple of l' Instant Durable's chateau/castle models and they really are top shelf. I've been intrigued with their Mont St Michel (sp?) kit, but I could never think of where to display it. The size and shape of the model is just not conducive to display. I was lucky to visit the Chateau Chambord 10 years or so ago, and bought the l'ID model of the castle directly from their gift shop. when I unfolded the base, I realized I would need an area the size of a card table to display the model on! Needless to say, I never even started the model, and reluctantly sold it on eBay a few years back. If I lived in a castle, I'd have the room to show off castle models, but since I don't, I only buy/build small, or long narrow castles now.
Google Adsense