PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hi Jim,
Good to see work progressing on this. Excellent tip on the use of a 'Light Box' by the way. Its one of those "why didn't I think of that before" moments. I shall certainly use this technique whenever it is called for as I have several of these at work.
Cheers mate and happy modelling,
Bernie
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hey Jim... Good to see you back in action. Great ideas and you just gotta love the light box - me gonna make one of these someday It's looking great my friend. When i read any of your up-dates, i read them with your voice inside my head - Your videos did this Look forward to seeing and hearing you again Sir Jim.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardist View Post
Hi Jim,
Good to see work progressing on this. Excellent tip on the use of a 'Light Box' by the way. Its one of those "why didn't I think of that before" moments. I shall certainly use this technique whenever it is called for as I have several of these at work.
Cheers mate and happy modelling,
Bernie
Thanks mate. I have to admit that the score lines are very easy to create using the light box thingy. Also the lines are very crisp due to the glass plate at the back. It has a completely different feel to scoring on my cutting mat and something I need to practice with. The other big plus is there is no guessing where the score line ends - you can see it very clearly indeed. I think this is going to help me get my score lines more precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Hey Jim... Good to see you back in action. Great ideas and you just gotta love the light box - me gonna make one of these someday It's looking great my friend. When i read any of your up-dates, i read them with your voice inside my head - Your videos did this Look forward to seeing and hearing you again Sir Jim.
Cheers Peter. I think I am going to have to get more a a Sean Connery sound though. lol.

Take care guys and thanks as always for you support.

Jim
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Looking good Jim. I have been waiting to see if you used the transparency option since I am considering using this material for windows in an upcoming build. What did you use for glue between the paper and transparency parts? Did you have much trouble with "fogging" where you used the CA to attach the brass rod?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 10b, Part 10C, Part 15A, Part 15B and Part 15C

Not going into too much detail here as it has already been covered. This is just more of the same kind of stuff. Only thing that was a little tricky was the gluing of the steps. Some turned out better than others. The gaps seem to look so much worse in the pictures but they are very small indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01656.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01657.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01658.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01659.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01662.jpg  

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01663.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim - Part 14B - Transparency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeaux View Post
Looking good Jim. I have been waiting to see if you used the transparency option since I am considering using this material for windows in an upcoming build. What did you use for glue between the paper and transparency parts? Did you have much trouble with "fogging" where you used the CA to attach the brass rod?
Thanks for your kind words and the question. The glue I used is the liqued cement as shown in the last two pictures. I did not even try the CA glue but it might be worth a go on a piece of scrap to see what happens. I used the liqued cement to attach the transparency to the card and to the brass rod and it seems to hold just fine.

The other pictures are just random shots of part 14B (transparency). I took these to give you a close look at how it looks. I think you'll agree that there is no clouding at all. Most of what you see that is reflections and shadows as well as the flash gun. Anyhoo I hope this allows you to see that clouding is not a problem with this glue. I cannot comment on any other.

Thanks for asking and hope this helps.

Cheers
Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01660.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01661.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01664.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01667.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01668.jpg  

The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01669.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01670.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01671.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01665.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dsc01666.jpg  

Last edited by bagpiper; 01-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
This is looking mighty fine mate - The steps and rails really look the business
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Whoops! I saw the word cement and just assumed it was CA. We all know what one makes of himself when he assumes. (Insert embarrased smiley here.) Thanks for the great info and pics Jim. Looking forward to seeing the big finish.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeaux View Post
Whoops! I saw the word cement and just assumed it was CA. We all know what one makes of himself when he assumes. (Insert embarrased smiley here.) Thanks for the great info and pics Jim. Looking forward to seeing the big finish.
No worries. To be honest every question helps more than just the asker. I am really enjoying this build as I have learned a huge amount from many people. I think the one thing I have not covered at all is how to glue the edges of the parts of each section. So far all I have used is the tabs but next piece I am going to give the double sided tape a go. When I say next piece I mean anthing that is attached with tabs and is longer than an inch or so. I am still learning myself. But this is a lot of fun building.

I think the next major part will be the roof pieces. until now it is just more of the same. But the roof has compound curves so that is going to be interesting.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you to ask a question or just drop in a wee comment.

Cheers
Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Jim,

Don't worry about the roofs next. I've done several house models
with the "Mansard roof " which is named after a French architect.

As long as the top flooring is firmly glued, it is a matter of following
the formers to give the concave shape. Might have to use tape or
straight pins or map pins until the glue dries.

The super glue or CA / Cyanoacrylate would be faster...but hard
to adjust the fit if the roof part moves out of position. Unless
you hold the part in correct position while someone else drips
the super glue from the back sides.

Picture is a 1/12 scale wooden house. I reviewed your video
to be sure you were talking about the Mansard roof. Used Aileens
"tacky glue" and lots of masking tape. I remember that
one of the roof panels "popped" away from the former too.
Had to use a coupe of small nails to hold it in the correct curve.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-pics-020.jpg  
Google Adsense