PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Jim, I use self clamping tweezers for long joints (some small ones, too.) I put together a castle from FG for my granddaughter that had extremely long joints, and they seemed to work very well.

Garland
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Very nice Jim - love the Videos mate. The tip for the edge gluing from Bernie is a great tip. I use nothing but glue sticks - One of the newer ones has a longer drying time, but seems not to wrinkle the edges {depends on card stock thickness} If push comes to shove - Try this... Get some double sided adhesive tape {you can get this in various widths} and it is REALLY strong and pliable. Once you are happy with the positioning of the LONG joint press it down firmly - i have used this method and it tends to do the trick. I also put a band of card over the back of the long joint after the line up is done {using your standard white tacky glue} This joint is then well and truly stuck - and STRONG. Look forward to the next up-date mate.
Wonderful! Thanks Peter. This was one thing I could not figure out on my own. Appreciate the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshinn View Post
Jim, I use self clamping tweezers for long joints (some small ones, too.) I put together a castle from FG for my granddaughter that had extremely long joints, and they seemed to work very well.

Garland
Hi Garland. Long tweezers is something I don't have. I have one small pair of clamping tweezers so that is not helping.
I need to site down and take on board everyones very helpful tips and see what works for me. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers
Jim
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a picture of a set of squeeze to open tweezers I use.
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-tweezers01.jpg

I also have a 1/4" acrylic seam guide used by quilters that is around 12" long to help in reaching inside and holding down long glue joints.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM

This made my day

I just have to share this news with all of you. I just got this message from RAY KEIM - the GREAT MAN HIMSELF no less.

"Jim, this is FANTASTIC! Not only are your tutorials and tips very good, your on-air style is relaxed and fun! I wish everyone who builds my Phantom manor would watch these first! Thank you!"

Wow! This has really made this build something special to me. I am just so pleased that Ray has said these kind words on this thread. It has pleased me more than I can say. Thanks Ray. OK I may be getting over excited but why the heck not.

He also put this up on his face book page:
‎"Bagpiper" Jim, from papermodelers.com is creating a fantastic tutorial on the building of my Phantom Manor paper model! He is combining video and photos of his construction process and it is full of thoughtful tips. If you are planning to build the Phantom Manor, please follow this tutorial! This is just one video ...<Ray links to YouTUBE here>

I just had to share this with everyone here.

Cheers
Jim (Am I smiling too much?)

Last edited by bagpiper; 12-27-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Here is a picture of a set of squeeze to open tweezers I use.
Attachment 71637

I also have a 1/4" acrylic seam guide used by quilters that is around 12" long to help in reaching inside and holding down long glue joints.
Nice. Sorry I was typing at the same time you were. Sounds like some more trips to the local hobby store are in order real soon.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Hi Jim,
Further to my previous suggestion, I also use a piece of square ABS stock for getting into the inside of the joint. This has the added advantage of lining everything up square and applying pressure to the joint too. I've supplied a couple of pics to illustrate, hope they say it better.
Bernie
Attached Thumbnails
The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dscf3465.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dscf3466.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dscf3467.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dscf3468.jpg   The Phantom Manor - Ray Keim-dscf3469.jpg  

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardist View Post
Hi Jim,
Further to my previous suggestion, I also use a piece of square ABS stock for getting into the inside of the joint. This has the added advantage of lining everything up square and applying pressure to the joint too. I've supplied a couple of pics to illustrate, hope they say it better.
Bernie
Wow! You guys and girls are just fantastic with the tips. Shopping trip here we go. Thanks Bernie. I know that yours and the rest of the teams tips will come in handy for many people and not just me. Wonderful stuff. Can this day get any better I ask myself.

Cheers
Jim

p.s Bernie. My Brother pinged me on facebook because I was mixing a single malt Whisky (without the E) with diet soda. I think I am becoming Americanised with my drinking. Robert Burns will be turning in his grave. lol
Old 12-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
[QUOTE=bagpiper;184413
p.s Bernie. My Brother pinged me on facebook because I was mixing a single malt Whisky (without the E) with diet soda. I think I am becoming Americanised with my drinking. Robert Burns will be turning in his grave. lol[/QUOTE]

Shame on you Jim! Tut,tut. Its all right to dilute the American stuff (with an 'e'), in fact I think it tastes better with soda!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Looking great, Jim...and some great tips here...adding a little 3D has such a great effect!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
And I thought it was sacrilege when someone put some ice cubes in a glass with a 15 year old Laphroaig single malt. But diet soda with a whisky??!!!

Hang in there, bud, you'll get over it.
Google Adsense