PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Carcassonne

After 60 plus hours, I just finished the Instant Durable model of Carcassonne. This is the largest model that I have made, measuring 36" X 22". It is much larger than my Domus model of St. Peter's Rome, Domus of San Marco- Venice and the ID's Papal Place in Avignon, which until now have been my largest. There are over 400 parts. Even though it is a large model, there are many buildings as small as Hancocp's resent model of the cathedral in Florence. There are a number of very tiny chimneys and stair cases.

The area around the Chateau is somewhat square but then the model tapers down to the point where the Tower of Inquisition is located. This leaves a large area with empty area if the model is mounted on a rectangular sheet of plywood as I have done. I am in the process of building a table for this model as it is too large to put on the shelves with my other models.

This model has been around for 26 years, so I am sure that some of you have made it. I know that Adolf Pirling and Mike Stamper have. I can't remember how Mike mounted his, but Adolf cut his board to the shape of the model. I would love to know how others have used this space. I wish there was more to the model as there are interesting buildings in this area. I recently wrote Alain de Bussac of Instant Durable suggesting an addition to the model. He wrote back " As for the display of our Carcassonne model after building, some people prefer to cut a base following the edges of the model and hang it on the wall of their room, other, like you, prefer to wait for the continuation of the whole city...!" Have any of you, who have built Carcassonne, done anything interesting with this space?

We will soon be visiting Carcassonne on our upcoming "cathedral quest" to Southern France. We will be spending one night in the old city and have reservations at the Best Western Le Donjon Les Remparts at 2 Rue Du Comte Roger which is just to the left and across the street from the Barbican (the large semi-circular areas at the entrance on the model). The hotel just missed being on the model. We also have reservations for dinner at the Restaurant Comte Roger just down the street from the hotel. Carcassonne and the whole Languedoc area have a fascinating history. I have recently read several books about the Cathar Heresy, the battles and slaughters that took place. Carcassonne played an important part in these tragic events.

As usual I always enjoy building the model before seeing it in person. I am anxious to visit some of the more difficult parts in person. In preparation for this upcoming 25 day trip, I have already made models of Cluny (what it looked like before it was torn down), Papal Palace in Avignon, Hospice de Beaune, Chateau du close de Vougeot. Today I will make the postcard of the Cathedral in Clermont-Ferrand - I have enlarged it to a full sheet. Next I am going to build Le Puy followed by Fontenay Abbey and Paray -le-Monial. I doubt that I will get them all done before we start our trip -( for security reasons I am not revealing the dates).

Paper modeling is such great fun. I am looking forward to finding some models in books store on our trip. I know there is one of the cathedral in Toulouse in the bookstore.
Attached Thumbnails
Carcassonne-dsc00277.jpg   Carcassonne-dsc00286.jpg   Carcassonne-dsc00278.jpg   Carcassonne-dsc00288.jpg   Carcassonne-dsc00282.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.93 MB
Hello Thomas!

It is a big joy to see this wonderful model built again.
You have mastered the model very well.
For Your trip I wish good weather and many nice impressions.

Adolf
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Thomas,

Another good build.

Take photos of your model to Carcassonne, it is quite different from the model.

I made a base of MDF that follows roughly the shape of the kit. I also covered the "sides below ground" in brown paper to cover up the white of the kit.

I must admit that from my point of view, Theres a lot of effort making this model for not much return. The real buildings are much more rugged and look like a castle. The kit's colours are much too bland.

anyway it's a pleasure to see your version.

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I generally take photos of my models to compare with the real thing. I had a funny experience at Sagrada Familia in Barcelonia. I had taken photos of the model to compare with what had been completed. Of course, the model was complete. Several people who were standing around when I held up the photos of the finished building next to the unfinished couldn't understand how I had taken those photos....just magic. The photos were very realistic.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The Cathars may have been far closer to Original Truth than current received History admits.
That said: any model that reflects upon these serious topics is well worth the effort expended in building it.
The region is one of vast significance, dealing as it does with elements now almost lost to history.

Your model, Thomas my friend, shows well that some things do remain remembered.
It is a fine execution of a model that is not easy to render in any medium..
Congratulations on a finely executed work of the Modellers' Art.

I hope and Pray you enjoy your tour/trip, and that you and your wife come away from it with deeper understanding of those long lost eras.

Kind and Respectful Regards Thomas my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense