PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral

Today I finished the Instant Durable model of Le Puy Cathedral, which we will visit on our upcoming "cathedralquest" to Southern France.

Le Puy -en-Velay is located in the Auvergne region of south-central France- between Clermont- Ferrand and Avignon. Since the Middle Ages , the cathedral has been has been the main starting point in France for pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, and a major stop on routes from Budapest and Munich. The town has an interesting landscape which consists of three tall volcanic pinnacles. The Cathedral, which was originally built in 415, sits on top of one of them. There are 134 steps leading to the entrance (we hope, us old folks, with bad knees, can make it!).

Also in Le Puy is the Chapel of St. Michael d'Aiguilhe, which is on another pinnacle and has 268 steps leading to its entrance (that may be more difficult for us!).

The Instant Durable model is excellent - as are all the ID models. Unlike most models there is a detailed interior to be completed - columns, arches, aisles, the main altar, stairways and statues (the Black Virgin). There is a two sided front panel that is removeable so the interior can be viewed. I soon realized that after the roof was attached, it would be almost impossible to see inside without a flash light. I decided that I need to electrify it, so I purchased flash light bulb sockets and installed three bulbs in the interior. The entire model sits on a high base, representing the pinnacle, so there was space in the base to put a compartment for the battery holder. I reinforced the interior of the back wall with plywood to allow for a small door (in case I need to change the batteries) plus give strength to support a toggle switch. I only glued down only one side of the dome of the tower so I could have access to the bulb in the tower should it burn out. I also cut a hole on the mounting board so I could have access to the bulb in the crypt. I just hope the one in the middle of the nave doesn't burn out - there is no way to replace it.

I have three other Instant Durable models which have finished interiors - the Paris Opera House, Sainte- Chapelle in Paris and the Baptistery of the Florence Cathedral. I wish I had electrified Sainte-Chapelle as it is one of my favorite churches interiors.

I now have eleven completed models of churches and castles that we will visit on our approaching 3 1/2 weeks in Southern France - the Paris Opera and Abelard and Eloise's Tomb in Le Pere Lachaise (also have models of Sainte-Chapelle and Notre Dame which we have visited twice but will not see again as we are only in Paris one day this time), the Hospice in Beaune, Chateau du clos de Vougeot near Beaune, Cluny (the model is of the original abbey which no longer exists), the Cathedral and Notre Dame du Port in Clermont-Ferrand, Le Puy Cathedral, Palace of Popes in Avignon, Temple of Fortuna Virile in Nimes , and the fortress in Carcassonne. I have begun work on Abbaye Fontenay, which I hope to finish before we leave. I also have the Cathedral in Paray but won't get to it.

I hope that I will be able to find other models of churches and castles that we will visit along the way. I know that you can only get the model of St. Serin, Toulouse by Piroux in the cathedral's bookstore.
Attached Thumbnails
Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00535.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00543.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00538.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00529.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00544.jpg  

Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00515.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00532.jpg   Le Puy-en-Velay Cathedral-dsc00541.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is excellent, Thomas! Your models get better and better. I look forward to seeing this one in October, and hearing about your upcoming trip.

Don
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Wow! Looks incredible! Awesome that there is an interior. Great work!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.35 GB
Wow! I wish my fingers could work that well!
Great job
Old 08-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice!
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.43 MB
Very impressive. The interior shots are amazing.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM

Really nice model, and great assembly work, including the lighting! The detailed interior is wonderful!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM

I like the idea of lighting up the inside of a paper model so may I ask what bulbs you used?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Eternal Member

I thank all those who have written such kind remarks about my latest model. I always love hearing from folks.

MALC - I went to Radio Shack and bought a several standard flash light (you may say "torch") bulbs - 2.47 volts, small threaded sockets, a battery holder for 2 D batteries and a small toggle switch. This did the trick - "let there be light and so it was".
Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 AM

Thanks for that answer Thomas, I'll give it a try.