PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
It's been a while since I updated the thread - partly because I caught what the UK call the "vomit bug" - it arrived on Christmas eve and carried on for almost a week - my Christmas lunch was a small glass of water. The other reason is that I've been trying to complete the entrance.

For a while I gave up and tried something much easier. Now I'm back and decided the the roof of the panorama looked like a bad "dog's breakfast" so I decided to start again. Luckily I had taken copies of the roof parts- I was never convinced from the start that the roof would work - see note above.

This time round I connected each part with masking tape - It's more temporary than glued tabs. Once complete I decided to glue it over the existing roof, but found that the supports were the wrong shape. I therefore removed the 15 and a quarter roof sections and took heavy scissors to the 1mm supports - they are now about half the thickness and the roof almost fits. I had to remove the lantern and cut off more of the supports. I added a piece of card to the hole at the top and glued it to the disc at the end of the supports. As you will see, it also covers the light grey ring on the top of the walls!

The next step is to add the small pillars to the top of the walls - shown as white oblongs in the picture - that's only 98 pieces to add, before I start on the side niches and the busts ;-((

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0095.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0096.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0097.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0098.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0099.jpg  

Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
That is bad i some thing simmler a couple of yaers a go nice meal xmas eve. xmas morning erly looking into the tolet bole not nice.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Here's a few pictures - the one with the box of bits are the tops of the pillars - over 80 pieces to make this lot.

I've realised that there is a series of "teeth" that sit on the overhang at the top of the building. I've decided to leave the pillars till later in case they get in the way of the "teeth" (just over another 100 pieces) The pieces I will be adding are cut from the 1mm card, The kit includes paper overlays to add to the 1mm parts - I've decided to paint the card parts and forget the paper overlays - that will save me about 30 parts !!

The parts 98 in the other picture are the "teeth". Red Ridinghood wouldn't worry about the size ..... but I am

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0001.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0002.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mike, you are doing an excellent job with a very challenging model!

Do those "teeth" support the cornice? If so, they are probably "modillions". Simple box-shaped ones are known as "block modillions"

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I applaud your persistence, Mike. Sounds like you had the norovirus, scourge of the seas. I heard it was going like wildfire through England. So as I was recently encouraged from behind, while trying to figure out why my week pass card was not being recognized by the reader device on a Dublin bus, "Press On, my friend".
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Great build Mike, you are definitely a master craftsman.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM

You may be surprised that I'm still fighting the model.

The parts in the earlier post have not been added because I have to add "frames" to the 13 alcoves that will house the busts. And I'm afraid they will be knocked off because I have to put the building on it's side to attach the frames.

Here are a few pictures. So far I have made most of the parts for the frames. Each one consists of 18 pieces and there are still 52 pieces to be added !

The final picture shows the pieces that go at both ends of the pillars. BTW the ruler is in CMs not inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0080.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0082.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0083.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0084.jpg  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'm afraid that I would have set this one aside by now. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 AM

I couldn't give up when I've got so far!

Anyway I have nothing better to do in the evening - perhaps I should get out a bit more often ;-) But with the weather we have at the moment, a warm work room and good music seems to be a good place to be.

The next step is to make 13 busts - I haven't yet worked out how many pieces make up each figure, but I'm sure it's more than 8.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM

I'm now part way though making the busts - and I need a break !

As with the rest of the model there are 13 figures. Apart from the base -3 pieces each - each figure is different, therefore it's going to be fun making sure matching numbers are used.

I've decided to cut out the pieces for one figure at a time. I've written the number on the back of each base. This way I'll get the right figure in the right niche - I know ! It's quite mad, because on one will know -you'd need a magnifying glass to see the faces - but it's got to be done ;-)

I'm attaching a few pictures to give you an idea. I'm also attaching a part of the instructions - hopefully this will explain it all :-) Each figure is taking about 20 minutes, so it may be a while before I send any more pictures.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0085.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0086.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0087.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0091.jpg   Panorama of Defense of Sevastopol-img_0093.jpg  

Google Adsense