PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Basilique Paray-le-Monial

The only model that I did not finish before our resent Cathedral Quest to Southern France was the Basilique Paray-Le-Monial. I finished it shortly after returning home but have not had time to put it on a thread.

Paray-Le-Monial is located 33 miles west of Cluny. The original church dates back to 973. There is a close relationship between this church and the abbey at Cluny (destroyed during the revolution). A new church was consecrated in Paray in 1004. Of this construction, all that remains is the south tower (right side), the narthex and the base of the north tower.

In 1090 Hugues de Semur oversaw the building of both the abbey church at Cluny (Cluny III) and a new church at Paray-le-Monial. ( my model of Cluny can be seen on the second page of church models on my webpage -www.cathedralquest.com ) Semur died before he finished Paray. The nave was to have at least two extra bays. The church is out of line with the front towers and the narthex (porch). This is very obvious on the model as well as my photo of the west front. The Basilica of Paray is an outstanding example of Burgundian Romanesque design and Cluniac architecture. It is situated close to the bank of a beautiful little river - complete with ducks.

The chevet (the east exterior) is one of the most beautiful in France. It has three radiating apsidioles chapels, a seven windowed ambulatory and an apse with nine windows. The steeple was erected in the 12 C and altered in the 14 C. It was destroyed during the revolution and rebuilt in 1810 and finished in 1860. The lovely interior was very light with yellow columns and arches and white walls. I have attached a photo.

The L'Instant Durable model is 1/250 scale and measures 10 1/2 X 7 inches. There are a total of 120 parts complete with costumed figures that can be attached to represent a procession. It is a beautiful model, and captures all of the details of the "real thing". There are a minimum of buttresses and almost no tiny parts - unlike the Rupert Chicken model of Canterbury that I have been working on for weeks.

I would highly recommend a visit to this lovely church plus building this fun model.
Attached Thumbnails
Basilique Paray-le-Monial-frenchmodels2-006.jpg   Basilique Paray-le-Monial-frenchmodels2-001.jpg   Basilique Paray-le-Monial-frenchmodels2-004.jpg   Basilique Paray-le-Monial-frenchmodels2-007.jpg   Basilique Paray-le-Monial-day-9-062.jpg  

Basilique Paray-le-Monial-day-9-046.jpg   Basilique Paray-le-Monial-day-9-034.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Nice model Thomas.

Your rendition of the interior is spectacular ;-)

Having seen it, you can stop worrying about St Sernin, Paray looks almost the same, although the ID kit is much better.

Cheers
Mike
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Mike for your comments. It is always nice to hear from someone especially you. I was feeling pretty lonely out there with a lot of "looker" but no responders. I alway like to hear from folks - good, bad or indifferent.

Yes, the east end of Paray and St. Sernin are very similiar - both wonderful. The tower is much taller at St. Sernin and the west facade is very different. There are no towers on the front. I really liked Paray better.

As far is your comments about the interior. I am glad your liked my rendition. The walls weren't too difficult to make but it sure was time consuming and difficult to make all of those little chairs...the legs are so tiny.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
As the old saying goes "It keeps you off the street"

good luck with the next model.

Mike