PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Rome Circa 200AD

Here is an interesting paper model. A fellow by the name of Andre Caron has built the city of Roma out of paper. He has hundreds and hundreds of buildings, columns, statues and roads. All built to scale and he even has the buildings at the correct height related to each other by building all of it on a terrain correct model. He has been working on this for years and I had the pleasure to meet him when he visited my Virtual Reality Rome. Anyway, here is what a serious paper head can do when he puts his mind to it
Attached Thumbnails
Rome Circa 200AD-paper-rome-andre-caron.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Here is my Virtual Reality verson of Rome. It is life size and one can walk thru the buildings. I only have the central part of Rome built. Looking at the paper Rome you will see the Colosseum and the large Temple of Rome directly above it. In my VR version this photo is taken on the side of the Temple of Rome and looking at the Colosseum.
Attached Thumbnails
Rome Circa 200AD-temple-roma.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Beautiful, I can make out the Via Appia, the Tiber, The Arena and circus maximus. The Vaticanus and Jupiters temple. Great research. How big is this???? I can just imagine Julius marching in triumph to the Senatus.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGurkin View Post
Here is my Virtual Reality verson of Rome. It is life size and one can walk thru the buildings. I only have the central part of Rome built. Looking at the paper Rome you will see the Colosseum and the large Temple of Rome directly above it. In my VR version this photo is taken on the side of the Temple of Rome and looking at the Colosseum.
Bob, you remind me of the game SPQR, back in the days of Windows 3.1. It impressed me very much at the time, especially moving through the Basilica. The thing that sticks in memory about that game, besides the great visuals, was the Roman calendar. It was a mess, compared to our modern calendar, but you had to learn it in order to understand the game. If you could find a copy in the 50-cent box at Goodwill, it might be a nice reference for your current work.

Other suggestions for virtual reality are Neuschwanstein Castle and the chateaux of the Loire. I'd love to be able to walk through the main entrance, then wander around from room to room, just as if I were a real tourist.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Here's Rome's "architect's" URL.
Google Adsense
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A superb job! Any ideas on the scale and time taken?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpirate View Post
Here's Rome's "architect's" URL.
"Ave Grimpirate, te salute." Thanks for that link, very instructive and a well done piece of historical information.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
a magnificent model

how big (or small is it)?

it must have taken a lot of time

ultra stone
Old 12-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Ah! You got the link in before I could. Andre has been working on this since 96 or 97. An awfully long time. I started on my Rome around 2000. I must admit that for a long time there were so many changes and upgrades to the programs that I had to rebuild it 7 times. Then health prevented me from working on it for some time. Nowdays I will go in and putter around a bit, but nothing serious anymore. I finally realized that I will never live long enough to complete. I turned the rights over to ActiveWorlds and they can finish or leave it as it is. I still can go in and make additions or detractons as I please. It was a lot of fun to build, but I will not do any more major builds. I also have the VR world America and it is huge compared to Rome. People are still building in there every day and grows daily. Anyway, my original intention was to bring a real paper head to this site and his website is probably worth a link or at least an honorable mention. You can explore his paper Rome for weeks and still find points of interest.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:54 PM

According to the website it's 180cm x 180cm
Google Adsense