PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
12 lovely ladies in my basement!

No, that is not a dream. I actually had 12 lovely ladies from my neighbor's PEO club (Philanthropic Educational Organization) come to my basement study this past Saturday to see my 47 cathedral and castle models which I have on display. They were very interested in the hobby of paper modeling, which most of them knew very little about. I also had a table on which I displayed the forty plus kits that I have not made - from a variety of sources.
I showed them how the kits are configured then showed them my incomplete Rupert Chicken model of Canterbury Cathedral with the many small pinnacles I have yet to complete. Since we have visited all 47 models on our cathedralquests (Cathedral Quest: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe), I showed each model individually along with giving some history of each. They were a well travelled group, and some had also visited many of the buildings.

I have included some photos which show how I have my models displayed (I worry about where the rest of them will be displayed). I have tried to arrange them by country. In the photos you will also notice three of my miniature houses (doll houses). I made the yellow farmhouse 43 years ago. The gray-green Kansas City Victorian was made in the 80's as well the large white replica of the Shadows-on-the Teche in New Iberia, Louisiana. The ladies were also interested in these houses as well as the furniture in each - which I had also made.

They also wanted to see my workshop, which is adjacent to my study. I had spent the last two weeks cleaning it as I figured they might want to see it. All of you are invited to come see it NOW as it has never been this cleanJ. My fourth miniature house - a Norman Villa, which I start over 25 years ago is in the workshop. It would be finished now if I hadn't discovered paper modelsJ. I also have a model railroad plus my model car and ship collection in another room which they wanted to see. I have over the years made 29 paper model buildings for my train layout (photos below).

These ladies were a wonderful and enthusiastic audience. So, fellows, I would highly recommend that you invite some local ladies organization to come see your etchings---opps, I mean your paper models. You won't regret. Then you could write us about the 20 lovely ladies in your basement.
Attached Thumbnails
12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03081.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03083.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03052.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03065.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03060.jpg  

12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03061.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03109.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03105.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03086.jpg   12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03089.jpg  

12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03091.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great collection of models and really enjoy your website.

Looking at the Sagrada Familia model. Is that the Japanese Paper Craft Book model designed by Richard Miller? I have it but am not sure whether to build it because of the colors. I just printed out the Canon version at 145% and the colors look more realistic with photos of the church on the web.

Might decide to build both at the same time.

Fred
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Fred, for your kind comments. My model of Sagrada Familia is a Domus model. I don't think that Domus produces models anymore -at least they are almost impossible to find. This was a nice kit. I made it before we went to Barcelonia, and took close up photos of the model with me to compare the the "real thing". The details on the model were quite remarkable. People standing around couldn't figure out how I had photos of the parts of the church that weren't built yet - just magic.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.41 MB
Absoulutely stunning! I knew there had to be a model railroad layout some where in there!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Mike. I took a photo of the "transportation room" and forgot to put it on the post. Here is what it looks like. I didn't do a lot of cleaning in there for the ladies. The cars are very dusty
Attached Thumbnails
12 lovely ladies in my basement!-dsc03085.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Thomas,

You have wonderful modeling cave and I am especially envious of the wood working shop for making the miniature houses. I see two themes running through your modeling architecture and craftsmanship.

My wife and youngest daughter are members of PEO.

Jim Nunn
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM

That's about as good a use of a basement as I've ever seen. The cathedral collection is amazing. Your work in 1/12 scale dollhouses is impressive, too. That looks like some pretty detailed brickwork on the newest.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM

thank you very much for sharing that with us.
very nice collection have have built.
I am totally envious of your workshop as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Wonderful collection Thomas and nice to see your 'creative space' too. All the best for your continuing Cathedral Quest.

Best Regards,

Tappi
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM

do 12 ladies in your basement impress me? not half so much as the beautiful models they came to visit! and what a great basement you have too
Google Adsense