PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
No problem at all with adding the bars. Since the guide marks were already printed on the columns, it was pretty easy to attach with a white glue.

Also found that it was easier to glue them to the base that way, especially in the four corners where they a close together.

Next time, however, might suggest to print the columns only on a 90 lb (160 gsm) index. I printed mine (together with the rest of the sheets) on a 65 lb (176 gsm) good quality opaque digital cover (helps when you have a printing business). Found the stock to be a bit too heavy for the columns.

My biggest problem is trying to get those roofs to bend up. Still haven't quite mastered that and I'm working on the last roof.

Fred
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It's been a while, but finally time to continue this:

The upper roofs are next. First, another roof frame is created, similar to the first one.
The only difference to the lower roof is, that supportive walls are glued under the lower roof-support-structure. Again, the rear side of the sloped roofs is bend down to act as their support. Another decorative wall is glued on top of the middle roof, also with the tile edges as on the lower roof (not seen in pictures).
The final top roof is basically build the same, except that on the long sides, the main roof is glued. The gables and some ornament structures on the are added on the crest.
When glueing the roofs onto the upper floor, one needs to take care, that the connecting wooden pillars at the corners of the platform are placed correctly at the corner of the roof above the platform. After the roofs are glued onto the tower, the main structure is finished.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM

To add to the above post, here are some more photos of the roofs and completed drum house.

What i've found out that practice makes perfect and given a few more roofs to do, they would come out looking like they should. Then again, three is enough.

Have been working this Labor Day weekend to try to finish the model (the courtyard and gates and buildings) and will have some more photos in the next few days.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-52a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-53a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-54a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-57a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-58a.jpg  

Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Some more progress from over the weekend.

The base is glued to a hard artboard. I added cardboard to the base structure to add strength. The inside walls also have cardboard added.

Next started on the walls and stairs for the main building.

Next are a series of small buildings surrounding the main structure.

Next are the South and North gates.

The East and West gates and walls are still left to build to complete the model.

One Note: Part 233 (roof for one of the buildings) is missing all the tabs. I cut the tabs, but the other roof part on the same sheet can be copied and used.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-60a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-63a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-64a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-65a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-68a.jpg  

Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-69a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-73a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-75a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-80a.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Definitely going to be a model to be proud of.
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks, Vermin_King, but to do it proud I'll have to build it again in 2 or 3 years and correct all the little mistakes. By that time I hope to have a lot more practice under the belt.

Fred
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM

I think you did great, Seascape. You did great on the tiny detail like eaves and decorations.
The bend edges of the roofs take some getting used to. I had plenty of chance to practice them in the testbuilds.
Don't know if you'll really want to build it again 3 years later, who knows what new cool models may be around then...

Time to add some more of my build:

Time to start on the surrounding buildings.
To have a stable ground, it‘s better to glue the vast outer ground plates on a piece of harder cardstock. For lack of a better material, I chose an unfolded Cornflakes box for this, which worked quite well.
The pedestal starts again with supporting structures. The central one wlll be directly under the supporting structure inside the main tower, the others carry the corners.
Then the pedestal walls are build, with the upper sides bend down to become the inner sides of the railing walls.
When building the ramps, better watch that the main surface is not bend or pushed too much, or it won't be straight enough.
The upper glue tabs are not bend entirely down, as they reach into the central structure and are lter glued onto the base plate of the main tower.
The west and set ramps are basically the same, only mirrored. All this building is quite simple and enjoyable.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 AM

Next are the peripheral buildings, first those next to the pedestal.
In the mold they are named after their directions. They have tiny differences,
for example, the Northeast house has yellow windows (which are glued closed
from inside at the real site). Each house is connected to the pedestal with a connecting piece. In the north, these have a tiny extension build on top and doors at the sides, as another room was created behind that. These connecting parts are not part of the original Drum Tower. Actually even the side houses may not have been.
To allow builders to build the pedestal without the houses, the wall behind the houses has no mark, where the houses go.
The houses are all build the same and are still in a size comfortable to build. The marked ground spaces don't fit exactly, which i schussed by the thickness of paper.
The model was originally designed for 120 gsm-Paper, but even at the same weight, thickness may vary. With a 160 or even heavier paper, this might cause serious problems.
Each house is glued on thicker yardstick to create a tiny pedestal, which each of them stands on.
Funny thing is, that the south houses are in a restricted area of the site, so the designer had to enter there to take photos for reference. But as at the time, the no admittance sign was only in chinese, he would have had a good excuse to stray in there.

Last edited by chrisstahl; 09-06-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: removed duplicated image
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Another weekend and had time to finish the Drum Tower.

The last buildings and walls went together without a problem. Once you complete a few houses, all the others are built the same way. The shed attaches to the other wall when installed.

Here are some final photos of the build. I've also started a thread in the Gallery section.

Once Chrisstahl completes his build, I'll add some final comments.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-81a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-82a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-83a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-85a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-86a.jpg  

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Some final photos taken outside and the framed model.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-87a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-88a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-89a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-90a.jpg   Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-94a.jpg  

Beijing Drum Tower - Stahlhart - 1:300-drum-97a.jpg  
Google Adsense