PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
I have reduced the houses to 1/400 and printed them out already. The fact they started to look really small then gave me pause for thought!
You wanna go smaller still? Yer mad mate. I seriously considered pumping these up a bit, but decided to stay as is in order to keep the finished footprint down to a manageable size. Mind you, I've just been looking at the Old London Bridge, so I can see what you mean.

I guess I'm gonna have to get a stronger magnifying glass and a set of surgical instruments. I've recently bought a flip up/down visor style magnifier. It's pretty good, and I can dispense with the reading glasses while wearing it, but it's very uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. I've even lined the headband with foam tape, but it doesn't improve it much.

Johnny.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
John, From that link I had up there on your village, they have two downloadable pages, which I used in the nursing home village. They are all Hubert Siegmund models and they have the same style.

One thing about the Fix and Foxi models is that they are scans from the magazines. Folds, staples and some moisture damage has to be cleaned up, though with the models being so small, I'm not sure it would be noticeable. But I would have known...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
John, From that link I had up there on your village, they have two downloadable pages, which I used in the nursing home village. They are all Hubert Siegmund models and they have the same style.

These are two extra cards to the original series. I do already have them thanks.

One thing about the Fix and Foxi models is that they are scans from the magazines. Folds, staples and some moisture damage has to be cleaned up, though with the models being so small, I'm not sure it would be noticeable. But I would have known...

I have just printed off all 14 Fix & Foxi cards, but at four cards to a page. They look about the same scale as 'The Village', but I'll not know for sure until I've made up a couple of them.
I'll post pictures when I've done a few of each set.

Keep on snippin' .... Johnny.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
hello John, it's looking very good! My compliments!

Marco
Currently Building: RN Zara 1:400
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Not only is there quite a colour clash, but although it's close, there is an obvious clash of scale, and a very different architectural style. So I don't think they'll look right intermixed.

The Mini-Modell set are very prim and proper. Looking like newly built properties, but the Fix & Foxi set have been given the aged look, with cracked plaster and moss on the walls. I'll have to be a little brutal with them to warp the roofs a little too. I can't stand pristine square roofs on supposedly ancient buildings. It just spoils the effect in my opinion.

Can't make up me mind which I like better, so I guess I'm gonna have to build two towns now. One at a time though, eh? I'll go with the Mini-Modell set first and save that cool Baronial castle for another day.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Johnny,

I also have the Fix & Foxi town downloaded and believe that the scale is 1:160.

Also have the other and was thinking of making a bigger town, but after seeing your little houses, will hold off.

Fred
Old 06-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Hi Fred,

I told my printer to fit four Fix & Foxi pages onto one A4 card, thus substantially reducing them to around 1/4 the original size, but this is not an accurate way of re-scaling. You also need to ensure there's plenty of border available round the design, as it will be cropped to fit, and bits get chopped off if you're not careful.

I suppose it would be possible to accurately re-scale either set to match the other as long as you know the existing scale of them both, but with the differing architectural styles and colourings involved here, I'm not about to try.

Please feel free to join the thread with your build Fred. It would be interesting to compare a full size build alongside my little ones. AND, all of you, please feel free to criticize my work. I'm no expert, and always willing to learn new techniques. So please pile the hints and tips on.

If you simply think "I would have done that differently." Don't just think it ... post it. I may not agree with you, but I'm always keen to hear your opinions.

Johnny.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'd forgotten about the scaling issue. I resolved that by printing at 200% on the AKG downloads. In reading about the Fix and Foxi build at a German forum, I believe they said the castle was actually around 1:300. The two download pages from AKG actually fit in well with the village, not to say all the buildings mesh.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Y'all's town work is so cool.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
Good work there Johnny.
The project looks like a nice compact unit compared to the monster I'm working on.
My cutting mat is about twice the size of yours and the church in MPR II still covers a larger % than yours. Forceps, tweezers and long nosed pliers are a big help with my fat fingers.

George
Google Adsense