PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice. Makes me think of The Pillars of the Earth wherein cathedrals are described in some detail. Nice work. Yours and the book.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Nice one Thomas.

I like Roger's kits, generally they are still hand painted and the base with grass etc is a nice touch.

Roger always makes his kits so the base fits on an A4 sheet.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Eternal Member

Karl - I didn't know that about Winchester Cathedral. I just read several sources about the water problem. It was interesting that a diver by the name of William Walker worked six hours a day under water to restore the foundation. We had planned on visiting Winchester Cathedral on our 2003 Cathedralquest to England. We ran out of time and had to give it up.

CardboardCat – The Pillars Of the Earth is a great book. Did you see the eight week miniseries on TV in 2010? I have the DVD which is also wonderful. Did you read the sequel, World Without End? It takes place two centuries later in the same town with a remodeling of the Cathedral. It, too, is a great story. Ken Follett was inspired to write it after visiting the Vitoria Cathedral in Spain. We visited it in 2009 (see www.cathedralquest.com/SpainDay4htm. There is a life size statue of Ken Follett in front of the cathedral. I have a photo of me standing beside him. We heard him speak at the Smithsonian in DC the day that World Without End was released. He did a good job of keeping the plot a secret. We have an autographed copy. I love everything that Ken Follett writes.

Mike Stamper - Thanks. Didn't you help Roger with the design?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry - I left a period out of the above website. It should be Cathedral Quest - Spain 2009 Day 4 Segovia Burgos Vitoria
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
No, I can't claim to have a single creative bone in my body.

Roger asks me to make the kits to ensure that the instructions can be followed (I'm good at following instructions - I've been married for a long time;-)) He says that during the design process he make the model so many times wants some one to "test" his instructions.

I do suggest a few ideas but leave it to Roger to decide if he wants to incorporate them.

Cheers

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
Karl - I didn't know that about Winchester Cathedral. I just read several sources about the water problem. It was interesting that a diver by the name of William Walker worked six hours a day under water to restore the foundation. We had planned on visiting Winchester Cathedral on our 2003 Cathedralquest to England. We ran out of time and had to give it up.

CardboardCat – The Pillars Of the Earth is a great book. Did you see the eight week miniseries on TV in 2010? I have the DVD which is also wonderful. Did you read the sequel, World Without End? It takes place two centuries later in the same town with a remodeling of the Cathedral. It, too, is a great story. Ken Follett was inspired to write it after visiting the Vitoria Cathedral in Spain. We visited it in 2009 (see www.cathedralquest.com/SpainDay4htm. There is a life size statue of Ken Follett in front of the cathedral. I have a photo of me standing beside him. We heard him speak at the Smithsonian in DC the day that World Without End was released. He did a good job of keeping the plot a secret. We have an autographed copy. I love everything that Ken Follett writes.

Mike Stamper - Thanks. Didn't you help Roger with the design?

Yes I did see the mini series and have read World Without End. He is one of my favorite authors. I would love to be able to go to Spain and see that place, but since that probably won't happen I'll have to settle for building the paper model, which will be a close second lol.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Eternal Member

CardboardCat. It was good to hear that you had seen the mini series of Pillars of the Earth, and read World Without End. Have you read Fall of Giants and Winter of the World - the first two books of The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett? I hope the 3rd books comes out soon before I forget all of the characters.

I don't think that Santa Maria Cathedral in Vitoria has a model. I have searched so maybe you know of one. On Cathedral Quest: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe /SpainDay4.htm, we have brief visits in several interesting towns before stopping in Vitoria. I have a model of the Alcazar of Segovia (which we did not visit for the same reason we didn't visit the cathedral in Segovia). I have not made it yet nor have I made the model I have of the cathedral in Burgos. Both are Merino Models.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdaviesclay View Post
CardboardCat. It was good to hear that you had seen the mini series of Pillars of the Earth, and read World Without End. Have you read Fall of Giants and Winter of the World - the first two books of The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett? I hope the 3rd books comes out soon before I forget all of the characters.

I don't think that Santa Maria Cathedral in Vitoria has a model. I have searched so maybe you know of one. On Cathedral Quest: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe /SpainDay4.htm, we have brief visits in several interesting towns before stopping in Vitoria. I have a model of the Alcazar of Segovia (which we did not visit for the same reason we didn't visit the cathedral in Segovia). I have not made it yet nor have I made the model I have of the cathedral in Burgos. Both are Merino Models.

I have not read Fall of Giants or Winter of the World but your comment gives me an urge to head to the library.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Excellent job Tom - looks really good!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another wonderful model, Thomas. And I enjoyed the book discussion.

Don
Google Adsense