PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
St. Paul's Cathedral, London

I recently completed this model of St. Paul's Cathedral in London by Roger Pattenden- Heritage Models (Home). It is excellent representation of this beautiful and historic cathedral. The instructions were very clear and everything fit together extremely well. I built it in a short amount of time compared to other models.

We visited St. Paul's on our recent Cathedralquest to Scotland and England. St. Paul's was the first cathedral that we visited on our first Cathedralquest in 2003. At the time St. Paul's was in the process of cleaning the interior walls. There was a lot of scaffolding inside plus the walls were treated with a white plaster like substance that absorbed the water stains. Ten Cathedralquests later, now having visited 232 historic English & European churches (82 being actual cathedrals), we returned to see the refreshed interior of St. Pauls. It is a magnificent church. I invite you to read about the history, design and structure of St. Paul's that I published on my webpage in 2003 - www.cathedralquest.com/EnglandDay1.htm.

I had ordered my model directly from St. Paul's Gift Shop several years ago, I was pleased to see this model still for sale in the shop. I don't know why, but most cathedral gift/book shops do not carry model kits of their own cathedral even though the model exists. On our trip in, September, St. Paul's and Rossyln Abbey (another of Roger's models) near Edinburgh were the only two models available in the church's bookstore. Ely Cathedral has a model kit but the book store was sold out.
Attached Thumbnails
St. Paul's Cathedral, London-dsc05281.jpg   St. Paul's Cathedral, London-dsc05282.jpg   St. Paul's Cathedral, London-dsc05283.jpg   St. Paul's Cathedral, London-dsc05284.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That came out very nice. I see a little "grass and gravel" around the perimeter. Did the model come with that, or did you make a custom base for it?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Turned out real good.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Very nice build! Also an interesting building.
Like the work the designer did also.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Eternal Member

Thank all of you for your kind comments.

Don, the base sheet was colored with green and some tan around the outer side. I glued the base to a piece of plywood.
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nicely done. I had a post about this model on October 9th's On This Date post over at AirDave's forum. It's amazing how St. Paul's remained standing when most everything around it was flattened during WWII
Old 11-16-2013, 02:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice model Thomas

You can blame me for the lack of stock at Ely cathedral

Tim
Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.52 MB
Gorgeous model!! Your usual superior workmanship, Tom. I was very interested to do some reading recently on the "old" St. Paul's in London, before the Great Fire. Very different from Wren's elegant design. Apparently used as a stable by Cromwell's Puritan troops!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Mike for you kind words. St. Paul's does have a very interesting history. If you haven't read it, you can find a summary of the history along with a photo of the Norman church that was destroyed in the Great Fire. Cathedral Quest England 2003 Day 1 London 5
Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Very well done Thomas an excellent job.

Lots of the Cathedrals have interesting histories but Winchester always fascinated me.

To quote wikitravel.

"An interesting fact is that the Cathedral was built on rafts floating on a peat marsh! For 800 years the raft was able to carry the weight but, by the 19th century, the Cathedral was in danger of collapse and the foundations were rebuilt by a diver working under water."

For anyone who might be imagining a small building on a raft, it is most definitely a full sized Cathedral.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Winc...&tbm=isch&um=1
Google Adsense