PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Prague clock

At the recent International Paper Modelers Convention in Sterling, Virginia, it was announced that the theme for next year would be architectural models – non-religious. This year I had eight English cathedrals plus the Tower of London on display. Several of the exhibitors gave me "a hard time" about being able to come up with non-religious models for next year. It so happens that I have 30+ models of non-religious buildings that we have visited on our Cathedralquest adventures. So what would be my next model? As I have done in the past, I use the scientific method of closing my eyes and pulling out a model from my file box. The lot, this time, fell on the Prague Astronomical clock.

Prague Astronomical clock Is a Domus model, which I found in the bookstore at the Building Museum in DC. As with most Domus models it is die-cut and pre-scored. It is printed on glossy paper. The model comes with a small battery-operated clock. The scale is 1:100 and measures 19 inches high. The clockwork is mounted inside of the top section of the tower. This part is not glued so it can be easily removed in order to change the clock battery. It was an easy model to build and brings back memories of the "real thing".

We visited this unique clock in Prague on our 2011 Cathedralquest to Central Europe - Cathedral quest Central Europe 2011 Day 10 sight seeing in Prague. The famous Astronomical Clock is located in the Old Town Square. It was built as part of the Town Hall in 1490. The clock is very intricate and consists of three parts. There is an astronomical dial showing the position of the sun and moon in relation to the zodiac. Secondly there is a calendar dial with medallions representing the months of the year. The third part is the Walk of the Apostles where wooden statues appear from trap doors and move from left to right while a skeletal figure signifying death pulls a rope to the rhythm of the chimes. The very top is the actual working clock. We watched the clock at 4:00. It was fascinating and attracted a large crowd each hour.

I have already started working on my next "non- religious" architectural model- The Roman Bath in Bath, England which we visited on our first Cathedralquest in 2003. I bought the model at the auction at the International Paper Modelers Convention last month. It is printed on 8 sheets of 19"X26" paper, which makes it difficult to store safely so I decided to make it. I will put it on a thread when I finish it. I am pleased with the way it is turning out.
Attached Thumbnails
Prague clock-dsc05321.jpg   Prague clock-dsc05322.jpg   Prague clock-dsc05325.jpg   Prague clock-dsc05336.jpg   Prague clock-dsc05335.jpg  

Prague clock-dsc05337.jpg   Prague clock-img_6573.jpg   Prague clock-img_6570.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
It's turning out quite nicely Tom. Looking forward to your thread when you post it. Wish I could be there next year to see it in person.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I will be waiting for the completion of this!
With your skills I know it will turn into a great model.

That tower and its clock is one of the places of the world I'd like to see with my own eyes. Is very beautiful.

kind regards.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Hi Thomas,

Another interesting model. I have the Domus one and also the Albatros version which adds some more buildings. Will build both and compare in the future.

Fred
Old 11-27-2013, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.14 MB
Hi Tom,

Nice model. I love Prague someday i will there to see the real clock.
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.34 MB
I live from Prague, only 30 miles away, so of course I visited the Old Town Hall Tower.
And because I collect models of lighthouses, towers and lookout towers, so of course, I also built here since the albatross.
There is another model from Betexa.
Starom?stská radnice - limitovaná edice DIGITISK | BETEXA.cz

This is my model

Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Eternal Member

Group B. Thanks for the reply. Your model is beautiful. I like it much better than the Domus model of the Prague Clock that I made. I love that it includes other building as they were attractive. I, somehow, had missed the model that you made. When I saw the clock in the bookstore of the Building Museum in DC, I had to buy it.

I have enjoyed reading all of your threads and seeing your wonderful models. Sometime, I am a little confused whether they are your original design or kits that you have purchased. Keep on posting!

We loved visiting Prague in 2011. It is a beautiful city with a lot to see. I would love to come back someday. You can read about our time in Prague on my webpage Central Europe 2011. Check out Days 8,9,10.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Another nice model Thomas. I must admit that I prefer the Betexa kit. I haven't made it but my daughter has.

If you want to "sidestep" the conventions theme howabout Betexas "Prague Castle District" There are many buildings and St Vita's Cathedral is one. There is a problem - it would be difficult to get it to the show. The finished model is about 5 feet long!

Group B - are the postcard kits still available in Prague? They'd be just right for Thomas to take to the convention ;-)

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Tom,

I really enjoy your threads. Always interesting models, built with skill.

This one is very beautiful. Best of luck in your next exhibit.

Thank you for posting.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Mike and SAustin for your kind remarks.

Mike, I have seen photos of your Prague Castle and remember how long it is. I would be able to haul it in my van but storage would be a problem. I have made the model of St. Vitus - a beautiful church where we attended a Sunday service This model is one that I downloaded from a "free site" and had my credit card compromised resulting in having to cancel my card which VISA replaced with a new one. Everyone show beware of "free downloads".

I am presently working on two models - the Roman Bath in Bath plus the Pribram Nativity Scene which is one of the kits that Philip gave me when we had dinner in London. I thought it would be nice to put out for Christmas. The bath is built in 3 sections.

I have scientifically (close my eyes and point to a file in the box) chosen the next model after I finish these two. It is Schreiber-Boden's model of San Lorenzo de El Escorial in Madrid. It is a wonderful place to visit - we were there in 2009. It may not meet the non religious architecture model theme for next year's International Paper Modelers Convention because it has a chapel with a dome in the middle of the model. I am going to make it anyhow - Don! It appears to be a rather large model consisting of 23 pages of parts with 100s and 100s of tiny dormers -love those dormers
Google Adsense