PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Location: currently Tennessee, hail from Western KY / Southern IL
Total Downloaded: 0
Hi clif52. Sorry so long to reply, my job had me out of town for a few weeks.

As far as doing houses based on TV shows and movies, I would but I worry a little about copyright. Therefore I'm steering away from that.

The Rapunzel I am working on does have a floor plan similar to that in Disney's Tangled, but not close enough to be an issue. Other than the layout of a single room with an adjoining room (with a kitchen, fireplace, main window, stairway, etc located in the main room), it's overall look will be very different and more medieval rather than storybook.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM

Location: currently Tennessee, hail from Western KY / Southern IL
Also to all, Thanks to the great advice of Kcorbin and clif52, I decided to put the actual scales of all the models (when printed on 8.5x11) in the product descriptions. I really hadn't thought about mentioning the scaling before... but now realize that other people build large layouts based on them. And although the scaling is listed for 8.5x11, the models are not "locked" into it. The files provided are tiff image files that can be cut pasted and cropped to make the pieces larger or smaller for scales different than I what I listed.

Thank you again everyone so much! You are all amazing!
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Other Cutaways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic Paper Art View Post
Thank you so much Kcorbin for the advice. On these models, I hadn't really thought about scales before. They are just made initially for having the pieces fit (each image file) onto a single 8.5x11 piece of paper. So each one is no doubt a different precise scale. I will have to measure and come up with what exact scale each is.

But on a side note, that is why the model parts are all image files and not in a pdf format. This way, people can print at different scales such as 25 or 50 % of a page. However, this of course is still not "true scale" and is relative to the original planned sizing of an 8.5x11 page being "100%".

Thank you so much and I will definitely PM you for any additional information and help you can provide.

To Jim Nunn: Haha, and thank you although I cannot take any credit for the pringles can idea. I found it on a crafters website. The Rapunzel I am making is much larger than a pringles can and is only loosely based on that design, as well as the picture of the castle tower shown. It basically has the look of the pringles can design, but with the base stairway being of smaller diameter (compared to the top) as in the castle picture. Haha I had to do that or else the winding staircase I have in the base would have been really huge looking by comparison (even including having recessed bookshelves in the winding staircase walls). If I had the top to fit the size of the staircase bottom portion, there wouldn't have been enough room for furniture in the top in such a way that it could be played with like a dollhouse. Originally I did want to make the model just like the pringles can design, but in working on the raw cardboard prototype, I found out it just wasn't feasible.... just like I found out the top being larger diameter initially made it top heavy, thus bringing about the idea of a full library for the staircase walls to add weight in the bottom. Even as I type this post, I laugh at how this whole project has gotten more complex as I have gone along, but will hopefully be a masterpiece once done. It's been a much bigger challenge than my mind thought it would be when I came up with the idea
To Think !
Two Pringles cans later ( it was delicious emptying them ).Your idea caused a Submarine cutaway model to be built .Wish I understood how to post pictures .I think you'd like it .
Old 04-23-2015, 07:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by papersurprise50 View Post
Wish I understood how to post pictures .
How To: post pictures to a thread
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
When will the Riverfiew model be available? This is the one I want to make. I plan on laminating the printed paper to thin plywood.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
I really thank you for sharing this information. When my granddaughters reach the age of Middle School, I build them a diorama. The next one on the list has asked if I could build her a dollhouse. I have one year to create the diorama. I just purchased the furnished lighthouse and the extra furniture kit. I think this will be the perfect gift. Thanks, again.

Tags
doll, dollhouse, house, model, paper