PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
GOOD MORNING WORLD!
OK, maybe a bit too much enthusiasm, but I try to be an optimistic sort of fellow. Like right now; I have a poor showing of modeling for two weeks, but some much needed home projects are now done. (Of course that means momma reloads the honey do jar!)

I made a canopy to keep the sun from melting all those fine sweets that sit in Mr. Zimmermans show windows. Nothing good about melted chocolate!

Some of my builds-02-12-17-001c.jpgSome of my builds-02-12-17-002c.jpgSome of my builds-02-12-17-003c.jpg

Also been playing around with some brick patterns for the sidewalks and streets. I was thinking of mounting the buildings on a base so I could do a street scene, but I think I better wait till I get the other buildings done that go on this short block.
So, I have three more structures to do in this set. I have decent pictures of two of them. The one that sat next to the Commerce building is the one that I have only two grainy pics from 1916; and the buildings are not the main subject of the shots. I've got an idea of it's basic design and I can measure the lot where it once sat, but I'm going to have to do some creative 'reckoning' to produce a model. From my research (They know me on a first name basis at the Library's historical room) it was a wood structure built in the 1860's with a partial brick façade added when the Commerce building was under construction. I also know, from the city directory of 1898-99, what type of business occupied the two shops it once held. The building was damaged beyond salvaging in the 1918 flood and demolished. (A garage style structure was built further back on the lot in the 20's, and part of that building is still there.)
In the middle of this, I want to go back and re-do some of my shotgun houses. I think my design skills have improved a bit since I did them (I still have a long way to go in that regards!) and I'd like to spiff them up a bit.
As always, comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Have a Great Day and may you Model Away!! George
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,

Glad to see you posting again. Those building look great and I really like that awning. Really looking forward to the next building!

John

P.S. Don't forger the kit idea. I know; i'm a nag.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I''m with John - love the awning. It looks very much in place for the time and era represented. It is good to "hear" from you George. Been missing those wonderful informative posts of yours. Hope to see more of your work soon.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 AM

Another Zimmerman!!!!

Thank you John and elliott. I do miss my model time!

The computer has remained stable for a few days, so I was able to load a few more of my programs; hence, a little design work on the next building of our 1900's Block Party!

Some of my builds-02-15-2017-001.jpg Some of my builds-02-15-2017-002.jpg

Monday afternoon, I had the opportunity to dig a little deeper into the history of this building. A man by the name of Stein (no first name found as of yet) built it in 1867. In 1879, it passed to his Daughter and Son-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Albert Kroll. I was very surprised to find that our dear Mr. Zimmerman purchased the property from them in 1881. Seems the bakery business was very lucrative!
I hope you can see the rough design; I should have contrasted the background better. I will on the next post, as I've changed the upper portion of the building a bit already to match a clearer photo that was found at the library.
I will be doing my 'normal' layering to add some depth to the façade. I'm not sure if I will do a 'stand alone' version or not. Kinda' depends on how much time I can steal away to 'play'!!

Everyone have a Great Day!!!! George
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Funny that you should mention the library, as 'the library' was where it was suggested to me to look for old photos of the Independence, Missouri square. Although, I really have no clue how to start a search there
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Hey V-K!
The main branches of the three public libraries I use (New Albany & Jeffersonville, IN and Louisville, KY) have rooms that are dedicated to local and state histories. Not only books about the area, but also photo collections, city directories, copies of the old city clerks records (those that survived the various floods, fires and tornados, that is) maps, old insurance surveys and personal memoires that have been collected by different schools and history programs in the area.
Here, I'm fortunate enough to be able to access some of those resources online, but my most informative research is 'on site'. So, yes, give your local library a call and see if they have something similar. If not, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
I know there are also semi-privet collections that can be used without being an academic (again, around here, University of Louisville and the Filson Club) but I have not checked into what they require to use their resources.
And you do the same thing I do if the structure is still standing; grab the camera and tape measure!!
Good Luck and I hope you can find your pictures!
And one day, I will need to pick your brain on a design for a Studebaker Wagon! George
Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It wouldn't be of interest out there, but when I finish a series of Vardos, I plan on doing the Butterfield Stage. Dave Winfield has a KoolWheelz model of the Bud Wagon. It's a Studebaker
Old 02-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Zimmerman Building #3

As you can see, I'm still at it!
A lot of design work this week. As I mentioned in a previous post, I found out that Mr. Zimmerman owned this building too. He bought it prior to constructing the Chamber of Commerce building. This structure is a bit more challenging to represent; I cannot go and get pictures of it myself or take any measurements because it hasn't stood since the 1918 Ohio River Flood. All I have to go by are five pictures taken in 1916, by two different photographers, during New Albany's Centennial Parade down Main Street. Needless to say, the building was not the subject of the photos. I was also able to measure the lot size between the buildings still standing.
Looking at the first design I did, you can tell I made some changes to the upper portion. One photo was taken directly across the street and showed the upper works a little better than the pics taken at an angle.
Some of my builds-02-19-2017-001.jpgSome of my builds-02-19-2017-002.jpgSome of my builds-02-19-2017-003.jpg
According to Midwest Insurance Company risk assessment plot maps from the 1870's, it was a wood structure built around 1866-67. Maps after 1883 note that brick veneer was added to the façade to 'modernize' it, but it remained basically the same as built.
I mention this because in one photo, you can see patriotic bunting hanging from above the large transom windows; it was a day of celebration, after all! I was not sure if the Eagle or the stars were part of the building or decoration. Many buildings erected in the time during, and a little after, the Civil War (or Between the States, depending on were you were raised) often had some small, decorative, symbolic images in support of the Union (at least, around here). I chose to add these to the model. It reflects the sentiment some felt during those days of turmoil.
As to the colors, they are completely subjective on my part. I chose red for Mr. Kerr's Barber shop because most of the barbers in this area choose that color in this area. I went with basic brown for the Western Union Office because it is a no-non-sense, 'We are a big business' kinda' color to me!

As always, comments, suggestions, questions, etc. are always welcomed!
Have a Great Day and Model Away!!!! George
Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Wife's away so George can play........

Just a quick update on the model.... I've had the day pretty much to myself (wife is working today) and I went ahead and did a fast beta build of the façade. This is what I think the structure may have looked like. The basic shape, size and style is close, but I'll never really know the colors!
Some of my builds-02-19-2017-001.jpgSome of my builds-02-19-2017-002.jpgSome of my builds-02-19-2017-004.jpg

The next step is designing the rear wall. Looking at the side of the Commerce building, one can see the faint outline of were the roof was and how deep the building was, so I do have an idea of the depth. I'm still debating if I'll do a 'stand alone' or not; which means designing side walls with all the textures. I may do the same on the Commerce building too.

As always...... Well, you all know! I hope to post a bit more later this week. Everyone have a Fantastic Day! George
Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
George,

Not only are your buildings superb, your graphics are still out of this world! Really looking forward to the finished product.

John
Google Adsense