PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-07-2021, 12:44 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
More Background Structures for Scots' Landing

These structures and others will be placed along a road that will climb along the backdrop of my Scots' Landing module. I will build the hill and the road on the bench and then place it on the layout. I'll need a few more houses and a medium-sized factory to fill out this four-foot chunk of HO scale landscape.

The houses are built from Clever Models' "Small Chicago House" (kit #S14). The green house is built straight from the kit. The other two are kitbashed versions of the same kit. The porch on the left uses fine cloth mesh for window screen.

The brick building is scratch built from a photo on the Internet. I widened it by adding the vertical row of windows on the left. The side walls are Clever Models' "Cream City Brick" texture sheet. I haven't decide what kind of business this will house so there is no sign yet. Roof details include a scatchbuilt hatch, some scrap lumber, and a sand barrel and shovel from Fine Scale Miniatures.

he blue boarding house is scratch-built from photos of one of the buildings from the Builders In Scale "Waterfront" kit. The photos were from Vilius Bileisis' amazing blog, The storefront will probably end up being a cafe but I am so far undecided. Walls, windows, doors, and shutters came from Vilius' photos. The shingles and chimney are from Clever Models.

The stone & wood barn is scratch-built from a photo on the Internet. It might be someone's craftsman kit, I don't remember where I found it. The stone walls are from Textures.com, the wood walls, roof, doors and windows are from the Randsburg Barbershop kit by Paper Creek, now available free from Papermodelers.com. All were modified in Photoshop. This will be a cabinet shop but I have not yet decided on a name.

The grocery store is a scratchbuilt copy of a model photo I found somewhere on the Internet. Wall texture, windows, and doors are from Clever Models' texture collections. The image in the large windows and the wall signs are images from the Web. I'll put some produce crates in the entryway when they arrive from Model Tech Studios.

I scratch build a lot of my structures from photos I find on the Web. I use Photoshop Elements® to square them up and scale them to HO scale (1/87). And I use textures and details from Clever Models, Scalescenes, Smart Models, online texture libraries, and other photos.
Attached Thumbnails
More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-houses_9407.jpg   More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-livery_9412.jpg   More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-cabinetshop-9411.jpg   More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-boardinghse_9409.jpg   More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-grocery_9415.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-07-2021, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent (somewhat dilapidated) buildings that will certainly set the atmosphere for Scots Landing.

I am becoming eager to see these in their natural setting with a grimy Mogul slowly pulling some battered rolling stock as a man in a worn suit and a black fedora watches impassively.

I think I also see Edward Hopper half hidden behind a tree with a sketchbook in his hand (his borrowed 1927 LaSalle touring car is parked out of sight).

Don
Old 05-07-2021, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Well up to your usual high standard, Sakrison.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:36 PM

Thank you!

Here is one more building and about half of the background streetscape. The road will climb from left to right, from one inch above track level to four or five inches above the rails. The buildings will be in a different order.
Attached Thumbnails
More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-barber.jpg   More Background Structures for Scots' Landing-street_9421.jpg  
Old 05-07-2021, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great. I'd like to get a room at the Caley and spend a few days train watching.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-07-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Looks great. I'd like to get a room at the Caley and spend a few days train watching.

Don
You might not get me out of the Wee Dram.