PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-13-2021, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
Schreiber-Bogen Norte Dame

Just finished the Schreiber ND. Took about a month working a bit each day. The advantage of being retired now!

Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2021, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks good.
I like the way S-B numbers the parts.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 AM

THx. Couple of spots didn't go as well As I would have liked. The typical, put a lot of pieces together and then try to add one large single piece, like the roof. Some of the smaller parts already in place don't exactly line up. S-B also uses an odd size for its paper. So I had to cut up the master pieces and remount the parts on standard paper then scan. There was some color variation from the scan to the originals so I had to create a master adjustment in Photoshop and apply it to each scan page.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.28 MB
Definitely a nice looking model and I'll second adding roof pieces after many pieces in place....very tricky.
Good work.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Very nice build, Lrjanzen.
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2021, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've got this on order, should arrive imminently - I'll take your feedback on trying to line up the big parts and spend more time on dry constructing and measuring as much as I can. Hopefully that'll help get things as straight as possible, but I've been through the same pain with Gaudi's La Pedrera before and it's a minefield when there are lots of parts! I think you've done admirably, for what it's worth.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:57 AM

Jezjustice
I had to restart 3 times. Build the front first but don't attach to base. Then the transept. Check the naive side alignment with the base attachment points. You may find small issues that will multiply. Any flexing of the naive walls will throw off the flying buttresses. I laminated the buttresses on thin cardboard then hand painted the tops and ends to match the sides. do lots of checking for the big U-shaped roof beyond the transept. Never got it to fit as I would have liked. any flexing will leave gaps or spaces.
When adding the central spire and the main roof, do LOTS of checking. The front part of the roof was off by about 2mm (1/16") in length and through everything off. Also check the vertical alignment of the roof halves against each other. If you really look close mine are off by that 1-2 mm and I had to modify the base of the spire to fit right. this was probably my bad work somewhere in the construction. Also check the long "fancy work" railings and their alignment with the buttresses. The order for them is later, but you need to check as you add the supports.

Display hint. I have a limited space and have the model on a bookcase shelf. I did NOT glue the spire itself into the tower part. It is a nice snug fit so I just lower the spire to fit into the shelf. I can pull it up if I need to. Almost no one even notices it.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:39 AM

Awesome advice, Lonnie... thanks for taking the time. It couldn't have come at a better time - the kit arrived in the last few days and the picture shows the point I'm at.

I'll try to dry-fit as many sections as I can before building, and it sounds like the most important thing is to make sure the transept and west towers are lined up very carefully. Perhaps I'll strengthen the sides of the nave so they're as straight as possible - it always looks best if the flying buttresses are neat and straight. I'll keep you updated with how I get on.
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Norte Dame-img_3931.jpg  
Old 05-26-2021, 10:47 AM

The reinforcement might be a good idea from an alignment point of view. Structurally the buttresses actual work once they are in! The naive walls are rock solid without reinforcement, once the supports are attached. But that also means there is very little give when you go to attach the roof.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:23 AM

Lovely, well made!
Google Adsense