PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-01-2024, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 516.88 MB
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao

I recently obtained the Piroux Guggenheim-Bilbao model from Diderick A. den Bakker's store: - Zeist Bouwplaten - Import, verkoop, ontwerp en productie van papieren schaalmodellen, maquettes en bouwplaten (cardmodels), Modelbouw, Rietveld cutoutmodels

Since then found a couple of threads on this site that reference this model:
papermodelfan's: Bilbao Guggenheim Museum - minified
mikbew's: Guggenehiem Bilbao

This will be my attempt...

This is a beautifully printed model with metallic-like parts. The parts have a lot of complex curves, making the model a challenge.

The model is very large and I prefer small sizes. So my first step was to scan the model and reduce the size. The original base is approximately 33x50 cm (13x20 inches), which with lots of work I reduced to approximately 15x23 cm (6x9 inches)

Since the pages were too large to fit my scanner, I cut the model pieces out before scanning. That was simple enough; however, I also had to slice the base into four pieces as I could not get acceptable scans unless the pieces could lay perfectly flat in my little scanner. That meant I had to stitch the base-piece scans back together into one image. The original map was folded, which left some damage; however, it was easy enough to repair this damage in the scanned/stitched base image.

The model instructions divide the built into 5 sections. The pictures below show a before/after comparison of the scan/reduce/stitch process, and the pieces and the model state at the end of the first section.
Attached Thumbnails
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-a01.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-a02.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-b01.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-b02.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-b03.jpg  

Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-b04.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-b05.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2024, 01:38 PM

Here are some pictures of the rest of the build process.
Attached Thumbnails
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-c02.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-c05.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-c07.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-c08.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-d01.jpg  

Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-d02.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-d03.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-d04.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-d05.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-f01.jpg  

Old 02-13-2024, 01:41 PM

Some pictures of the completed model.
Attached Thumbnails
Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-g01.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-g03.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-g04.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-g05.jpg   Guggenheim Museum Bilbao-g06.jpg  

Old 02-13-2024, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Came out well. good job. Seems like more time spent on shrinking the parts than the actual assembly.

Jeff