PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-23-2021, 03:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece

So this particular model is the reason I began modelling originally, 25 years back. Not that I actually made the model at that point, but I remember touring the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and in the gift shop was a completed version of the model showing what the cathedral would look like once completed... I was absolutely smitten with it. The only problems being that:
  1. The model was sold out in the gift shop
  2. Back in the day, you couldn't order from the internet
  3. My modelling skills wouldn't have been nearly good enough for this one even if I had bought it

So instead I managed to buy La Pedrera, another Gaudi building, which I kept for several years before I then did it as my first major project (it was a reasonable attempt considering, but I hadn't learned to dry fit parts and wasn't as exact as I wanted so the main parts didn't fit together very well at the end, and some of the smaller roof details and chimneys were botch-jobs hahaha), but I've ALWAYS wanted to do this one.

Here's my attempt at the central part and the East end - it's 459 pieces in total and they're small, complicated shapes that glue together in somewhat strange ways... so it's taken a while to get this far. I think I'm only about a third of the way through hehehe.... a long slog!

Has anyone else completed this? Or working on it now? Any advice? I'm enjoying it but it's seriously painstaking. I know that I'll be delighted to get it in the display cabinet once it's finally done, after a full quarter century of wanting to own it. Hopefully my attempt isn't too cack-handed and messy, but I don't know how to make it any cleaner given the scale and fiddliness.

Let me know what you think. I'll post more once I'm further through.
Attached Thumbnails
Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf1.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf3.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf4.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf5.jpg  

Dial it down to snail's pace and you might not glue your hand to your face, your face to the curtain and your curtain to the dog.
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking great so far, sir
Old 06-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Very kind - you're actively ignoring the wonkiness of the spires, I guess ;o) I love seeing other people's models because when they're my own I can be nothing but critical!

Dial it down to snail's pace and you might not glue your hand to your face, your face to the curtain and your curtain to the dog.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great progress on the model. It's not the easiest one to build. I printed this one out to fit on 12" x 18" cover stock (printed at 138%).

I've actually built all 3 of the Sagrada Familia models. The Japanese model 1:300 scale, the Canon model (scale unknown) and also the 800+ parts Domus model 1:300 scale. Also built the Papeti model of the Doorway of the Nativity side 1:500 scale.

Fred
Old 06-23-2021, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I see the beginnings of a spectacular model here.
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2021, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Your model is coming on great jezjustice. Looking forward to reading future posts. Remember there is no rush so just take your time and enjoy it.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-24-2021, 02:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Beautiful building, jezjustice! Looking forward of a comparison of the different models.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys... I'm always hasty to complete a model, if only because until that point it's an unprotected mess that the kids can get their sticky fingers all over or the dog can chew to pieces. Or worse still my wife could destroy it (she managed to drop a shoe box from a great height that contained my first attempt at this very model last year, it didn't survive). So I'll keep ploughing away at it, but there are some lovely little parts to enjoy (e.g. the little rounded sacristy domes are enormously cute, and some of the spire-top details are really nice) - I liked your very 'Zen' attitude to it, Kevin... if I didn't have a conspiratorially sabotaging family I'd wallow in the journey more.

I wondered about the 800 piece Domus model, Fred, but decided that (a) I don't have much display space and that's probably a bit of a beast size-wise and (b) there's no doubt as my endurance waned it might well never get finished... I think 450 odd pieces is more than enough for someone with a shortish attention span but I'd love to see the finished article on that version. I'm most impressed you've done no less than three of the same building!

Old 06-25-2021, 07:18 AM

Sacristies and Resurrection Chapel

So these tiny bits have taken me days! They're lots of parts, very fiddly, but worth every moment - I think they ground the East end beautifully and frame the spires above nicely, as well as looking great in their own right.

Onwards to the nave...
Attached Thumbnails
Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf8.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf10.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf11.jpg   Papercraft Sagrada Familia - 459 piece-sf12.jpg  

Old 06-25-2021, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Spectacular!