PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-23-2021, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)

Models designed and made by Mauther (PAPERMAU) remain some of my favourites.

But recently I suddenly realised that I have only ever posted one of his models in this Forum and that was 9 years ago!

That model was Van Gogh's Yellow House - a very clever rendering of a painting! If you are not familiar with it have a look here...

Van Gogh's Yellow House by Mauther.

The most recent Papermau paper model I finished this month was the Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice. I promptly gave it away to someone who fancied it but enjoyed making it so much I have decided to quickly make another in between my other projects.

I also thought that it may be interesting to do a build thread at the same time, so here goes...

------------------------------------------------

The Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice can be found at

PAPERMAU: The Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice Paper Model - Beta Version by Papermau - Download Now!

The model is fairly straightforward and consists of 5 sheets of paper, with a total of 55 parts.

Picture 1 shows the 5 sheets.

I reduced the sheets a little when I printed them as I wanted a smaller model - I basically just "eyeballed" the size until it looked right and then printed the sheets on 180grm paper.

One aspect of many of Mauther's models is that they do not have any instructions, and do not in fact need any!

The models use an ingenious method whereby the parts that have to be glued to each other are numbered in such a way that you simply glue all numbers that are the same to one another!

Picture 2 shows the first sheet of the temple's base, and this illustrates the method clearly.

The base of the building is a simple box, with a door and two windows. The locations for the door and windows are numbered 1 to 3, and the respective parts that go there have the same numbers. This is clear if you look at the part sheet.

One nice thing about this (for me anyway), is that I like to cut everything out first if I can before making a model.

With this type of part numbering system being used for assembly, every part is numbered, so everything can be cut out and chucked into one box, without confusion at a later stage!

So for me, the first step is now just that - cutting everything out!
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4132-2.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4134-1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2021, 12:26 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Thanks!

Appreciate your sharing this nice kit!

Best wishes...
Old 06-24-2021, 02:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Thank you for sharing, Kevin.
You made me want to give a try to it!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:36 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks, DC and asettico.

asettico - it is a great kit - give it a go. You will be pleased with the result!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:52 AM
Eternal Member

The Sacrifical Temple Part 2

OK – an update on progress.

With all the pieces cut out, the next stage is to start construction.

I started with the lowest-numbered pieces - these make up the building and the base of the Temple.

Pictures 1 and 2 - The sheets with most of the parts for the base.

Picture 3 - The parts cut out.

Picture 4 - All the parts pre-scored and ready for assembly.

Picture 5
– The first step is to glue the two windows and the doors into place. After these have dried the building is then ready to be glued together…

As mentioned in the previous post, the model was printed on 160grm paper, which is strong enough, but because of the size of the building could maybe do with a bit of extra support.

Generally, when making buildings, to provide them with extra support and prevent sagging when handling or assembling parts, I use toilet or tissue paper to reinforce them. I did this with this model.

I assembled the building and left the bottom “open”. I then sprinkled a bit of glue inside and stuffed toilet paper in to firm it up. As I did this, I also sprinkled further quantities of glue in to glue the tissue to itself. I aimed for a firm (but not solid) mass of tissue, and the glue sprinkled around helps firm it up in places.

Picture 6
shows the building ready to be glued closed after it has been filled with tissue.

With the base glued shut, there should be a slight ”bulge” in the walls all around. This is however easily compressed between small blocks or square objects while the part dries – and the glue sprinkled inside will help to keep the tissue compressed (removing the bulges) once everything has dried.

Pictures 7 and 8 – a nice square and firm building as the end result! In Picture 7 I have also edge coloured the top of the building to hide any white when the top is glued on. The building edges and window frames I will edge colour later.

---------------------------------------

Basically, 49 of the 55 parts of the model consist of blocks.

So, in the next post, I will explain the technique I use to assemble small blocks, as well as also assembling the next parts of the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4134-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4133-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-g1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-g2.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-g3.jpg  

Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-g4.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-g5.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-q6.jpg  
Old 06-25-2021, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Thank you, Kevin, for sharing also your technique.
Today I learned that larger shapes can be filled... with paper, of course.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:47 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you asettico!

I actually also now use the same methods to fill cars and vehicles, ship hulls and planes - when I feel that they need that bit of extra support.

The support really helps when glueing pieces to the outside, as it keeps things straight and stops anything collapsing!
Old 06-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

The next stage is to start on the base.

Picture 1 – The ground floor piece and the three sets of stairs that go up to it, cut out and pre-scored.

I mentioned most of the model is really made up of small blocks and cubes.

To assist with the assembly of architectural models, and square or rectangular shapes, I use two key items – plate glass offcuts and an engineer’s square.

Plate glass offcuts
are easy to get – work out the sizes you want (smaller is better than larger) and then go to a glass shop. I have always found them happy to help, and have always been given the offcuts free after they have trimmed the pieces to size and smoothed the edges!

The glass makes great little bases to build on, and obviously, they ensure a 100% flat surface. When squaring pieces up, glue does ooze out and this is easy to clean off, especially when it has dried.

When one side of a piece of glass gets gluey, I just flip it over!

Engineers squares – the very small ones – are NOT easy to get though. For some reason nowadays they do not seem to be widely used and are even difficult to find on the Internet. But keep searching as these are great for squaring up models.

When making a box shape, I usually apply glue to ALL the tabs (I use white PVA woodworkers glue) and then put the shape together.

At this stage, it then goes onto the glass and I work around it a few times with the engineers square, flipping the piece as I go, so all edges get squared. As the glue sets everything ends up perfectly square.

Picture 2 – This shows the finished floor piece on one of my plate glass squares.

Picture 3 – This shows the same piece, along with how I use the engineers square to square everything up as the glue slowly sets.

Picture 4 – A nice tight part with square edges is the result.

Picture 5 – The technique works really on small pieces. The three sets of stairs made up.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-b1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-b2.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-b3.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-b4.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-b5.jpg  

Old 06-27-2021, 05:48 AM
Eternal Member

At this stage, as all the parts had been cut out, I decided to now glue each individual part together.

These parts consist of…

Picture 1 – The first-floor building of the temple, plus pillar parts.

Picture 2 – The floor for the above, plus pillar parts.

Picture 3 – The roof parts, plus pillar parts.

Picture 4 – This shows the first-floor building before assembly. This is basically identical to the ground floor, except it has 3 windows, instead of a door and 2 windows.

Picture 5 – The building pre-scored and ready for assembly.

Pictures 6 and 7 – The finished building.

Picture 8 – The two buildings compared, alongside their floors.

Next will be the assembly of the pillars and the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4135-2.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4136-2.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4137-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4314-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4315-1.jpg  

Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-133.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-144.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-122.jpg  
Old 06-28-2021, 05:43 AM
Eternal Member

Now for a quick bit of mass production – the pillars and the rest of the parts.

Picture 1 – The first floor and an associated set of pillars.

Pictures 2 and 3 – The roof and all the associated pillars. There are extra pillars or blocks on the top of the roof as well.

All of the above were quickly made using the “plate glass/engineers’ square technique” described earlier.

Picture 4 - The completed pillars and the bases for these.

Picture 5 – All the parts all ready for assembly. I have put the two pieces and the 3 stairs that make up part of the base in the photo without glueing them yet. The parts on the right are the remaining base parts.

At this stage, I also went around all the white edges with a brown watercolour based felt pen.

Everything is now ready for assembly!
Attached Thumbnails
Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4308-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-mg_4316-6.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-img_4320-1.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-44555.jpg   Ancient Temple Of Sacrifice by Mauther (Papermau)-w-44556.jpg