PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-26-2022, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
That is truly impressive, sir
Old 10-27-2022, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you gentlemen, kind words truly appreciated as allways. I have four more kits to build in this thread.

Tappi
Old 02-07-2023, 03:23 AM

Westminster Abbey

Where to start, what to tell? Let's just say for starters: "What a build this was!". Definitely the most complicated Micromodels construction I've made so far. So many intricate parts to cut and put together in a small and dense surrounding. I struggled many times but eventually survived.

I started with the base and immediately run into problems. I don't like these two piece baseplates, I struggled*with the Windsor base too. Finally*got it sorted out and had a sturdy and level base for the cathedral to stand on and up. I built it in subsections: Tower entrance, the nave, North and South facades and lastly Henry VII chapel and the Chapter House. When studying the references I noticed that the kit is greatly simplified*and many characteristic details were left out. It is what it is and I built it as intended. Almost.

One path I chose was to try to make all parts that are shown in a way that they havetexture on both sides. This meant scanning the pages and turning some of them mirrored*imaged and then print them. That lead to build long confusion as what parts to use where and so on.
One breaking point was narrowly avoided too. The flying buttresses of the nave. Nearly 100 1 by 2 mm finicky parts to be cut, glued together and trimmed, coloured and positioned - too much for me. I designed a short cut. I drew a new part (pen and watercolours respectfully), scanned the 'artwork', multplied the image to a page and then printed the easy way out. Worked out well and didi the job. Pictures tell the story.

Gotta love the Micromodels instructions. This time so much I made a collage of them. Hope you enjoy this effort of mine in the universe of Micromodels.

Tappi

PS Final pics in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-1-towers.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-2-towers-nave.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-3-flying-buttress-challenge.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-4-problem-solution.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-5-many-buttresses.jpg  

My Micromodel's architectural models-6-testing.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-7-illusion.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-8-instructions.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 03:27 AM

And here are the final pictures of The Westminster Abbey by Micromodels and your's truly.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-final-1.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-final-2.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-final-3.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-final-4.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-final-5.jpg  

My Micromodel's architectural models-final-6.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 03:39 AM

Since crest and coat of arms start to appear in these builds of mine I decided to update Windsor Castle model too with the badge of The House of Windsor. I took a group photo of all of them too.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-windsor-badge.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-crested.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2023, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Your use of colour really helps lift the model up

Tim
Old 02-07-2023, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nicely done, once again
Old 02-07-2023, 11:33 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice to see your work with “Micromodels”.
But one can see the term “Micro” does not adequately describe the level of work needed to build them.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
You are more confidant than me ! I've made quite a lot of the MM buildings but I have not made Westminster Abbey. I look at the kit and then put it back in the pile to do another day.

Thanks for showing us the model.

Cheers
Mike
Old 02-07-2023, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
While finding the Old London Bridge model an interesting subject my researches into it reveal that it may have some mistakes. Missing is the water pump house that would have been on the northwestern corner of the bridge. Further to that the starlings (the masonry supports on each span) are a trifle too high. At high tide they were under water. On the ebb the level of the water on the eastern side of the bridge dropped by as much as six feet and only the most experienced ferrymen risked "shooting the bridge " (drownings and housings were fairly common). The ornate palatial building near the drawbridge on the southern end of the bridge was made in Holland/the Netherlands, shipped over to London in pieces and constructed at the bridge site without any nails, using dowels only.

Derek
Google Adsense