PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-07-2023, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
It's always a pleasure to see your skills and imagination put to good use, Tappi. This latest one is wonderful. Like Mike, I sometimes consider attempting another Micromodel, and after looking at it think "nah". Can't do that any more. Hat's off to you, sir!
Old 02-07-2023, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice work tapcho good fix on the buttress.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrit View Post
While finding the Old London Bridge model an interesting subject my researches into it reveal that it may have some mistakes. Missing is the water pump house that would have been on the northwestern corner of the bridge. Further to that the starlings (the masonry supports on each span) are a trifle too high. At high tide they were under water. On the ebb the level of the water on the eastern side of the bridge dropped by as much as six feet and only the most experienced ferrymen risked "shooting the bridge " (drownings and housings were fairly common). The ornate palatial building near the drawbridge on the southern end of the bridge was made in Holland/the Netherlands, shipped over to London in pieces and constructed at the bridge site without any nails, using dowels only.

Derek
Hi Derek,
You are so right about the starlings. Those should have been a lot lower and I saw that when going through the references available. And also the fact that the river bottom was lower on the downs strean side. Period engravings even show that the ebb produced small rapids under the arches.

As to other imperfections there are quite a few of them: the span of the arches don't vary like shown in the period pictures, there are only 18 arches in the model though records say 19, the buildings in overall are a bit cramped on the bridge for my taste. But I chose to build it as it is. Now your comments are tempting me to give it new try, perhaps someday.

And the waterworks. Very new information to me and an interesting historical fact and story in itself. I looked at the model and found a structure that could portray that operation (see picture attached), but Im not sure. Anyway it seems to be on the wrong side of the bridge (and it lacks the support beams there shoud be, have to correct that too). You mentioned it was on the upstream side, right? I have to dig into this issue a bit deeper. Thanks for heads up on this.

The Old London Bridge was based on a model built by John B. Thorpe, a selfproclaimed authority on the bridge (my opinion). His model was at some point on display at the London museum but was taken to storage some time ago. So there might very well be some historical inaccuracies in the model. Thorpe himself was a succesfull business man and owned an established architectural model shop in London for decades. His real lifework (or should I say 'real-life work') can be found in many architecture museums and is documented in much more detail than his model of the bridge. Here is a nice British Pathe clip of Thorpe's model from 1965.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-waterworks.jpg  
Old 02-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Mike and Philip, I know the feeling you described. I planned this effort for a good couple of months. And it was not time wasted, I kinda got to make a plan how to build it while hesitating. :-)

Tappi
Old 02-08-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mash View Post
Nice to see your work with “Micromodels”.
But one can see the term “Micro” does not adequately describe the level of work needed to build them.
There were some "Nano nano" moments included for sure. ;-)

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2023, 09:18 AM

Tim, Dave and David, I'm glad you like the result.

Tappi