PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen

Although I'm on the middle of the building of Rokstejn Castle, yesterday I got the opportunity of purchasing this kit from the same store where I got the Wartburg Castle kit previously here where I live, so I decided to put Rokstejn on hold to build this one . The kit is original, and has the old Schreiber cover design. It's 20 pages long, and like all the old format kits, it doesn't include a text instructions, just schematics with part numbers and a tip telling that the kit is built by following the numbers. I've saw this kit being built on other paper modeling forums but not here, so I'd think that it would be quite a feat to be the first to finish the model here. I plan to start the building ASAP.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-parts.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-24-2023, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I have one in my pile so I'll be following along with interest.

Greg
Old 08-25-2023, 06:39 PM

Like many models out there, the starting point is the base:
  1. Used the cover page as template for cutting the needed amount of cardboard from a very large sheet(I purchased a 5 page pack of those, very handy for bases);
  2. Cut the individual base halves borders;
  3. Cut the blank holes on the base halves;
  4. Extracted the parts from the large holes on the base parts;
  5. Then I dry fitted the halves while clamping the sides with hair clips so I could trace the holes and the base borders onto the cardboard;
  6. Trimmed/cut the borders and holes matching the previously made markings;
  7. Then I finished by gluing each halve onto the cardboard.

Although the finished base is perfect, when I went to dry fit part 1, the base half wich has 1 large hole, the overral white gluing spots were a very few MM shorter on the width, considering the full base size, just where the halves meet(Photos 2 and 3). Do you guys think I'll run into problems? I spent quite a few hours grabbing measures from the parts that are meant to be attatched to those spots, and they match the measues from the spots shown on the photos, so I guess that I shouldn't run into issues, right?

Now back onto the actual model: The contruction starts by the windows(followed by their matching walls), and there's a lot of them. But fortunately they are very easy to build, and error free.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-base.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-base_issue_1.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-base_issue_2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2023, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
As with all beautiful Schreiber cathedrals, the Stephanson of Viernna is no exception. This German company, in business since 1831 makes beautiful and very precise models. Not easy to build but worth all the effort. Some years ago I built TWO Saint Peter Basilicas in Rome and just making hundreds of small columns for each model was tedious but the results of the complete model came out absolutely fantastic. Good luck with your model. Let us know your building progress.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:20 AM

First walls/windows done. Window parts from 2 to 6 are attached to the back of parts 7, 8, 9 and 10 and these walls goes to the base as shown on the photos below.

Next parts vill cover the west wall and the roof support.

Cheers,

Gregory.

PS: I made a typo on the page count for the kit, it's 21 pages instead of 20.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-wall_7.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-wall_8.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-walls-9-10.jpg  

Last edited by gregoy; 08-27-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2023, 05:44 PM

Butressess: a love and hate relationship.

Made a small progress during yesterday and today:
  1. Built and attached the window 11 and the portal pieces 14/14 A onto wall 12 and then joined this wall with the previous ones and the base(photo 1);
  2. Parts 13, 13a and 13b makes the roof base and is installed over all the walls(photo 1 also);
  3. Filled this wall with all parts between 15-21 and added tower bases 22/23 over the roof support(photo 2);
  4. Two 24 butress sets and a 25 butress set on each sides of wall 12(photo 3);
  5. On the south wall, butress sets 26, 27, 28 are built and installed(photo 3 also);
  6. On the north wall, butress sets 29, 30, 31 are built and installed in the same way as the previous ones(photo 4);

Now I'll be still working on the butresses as 16 more butresses need to be made.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-wall_12.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-parts-15-23.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-butressess-26-28.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-butressess-29-31.jpg  
Old 09-01-2023, 02:52 PM

Sorry for the delay in updating the progress, but here I am:

I've made a significant progress on the model building, and since the progress covers a lot of steps; I'll be making a quick resume of what I did during these last days:
  1. Finished the wall butressess;
  2. Built 99% of the south tower base;
  3. Also built 99% of the north tower;

The only parts left to add to the south are parts that goes below the windows on each tower side, but they are for later in the number sequence.
North tower also has these same parts left, but also the top decoration is missing; it'll be added on the very end of the number sequence.

Below are photos of the towers; now I'll be making the smaller sructures that goes around the cathredral.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-south_tower_base.jpg   Stephandson in Wien - Schreiber Bogen-north_tower.jpg  
Old 09-08-2023, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Gregory,
This is a work-intensive kit that is worth every second you devote to it.
I'll be following your thread