PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-02-2022, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
... thank you ... :-)

first I must correct a detail about the c u r r e n t spire: it was designed and erected between 1965 and 1973 (not in the 1950ties as I wrote yesterday).

Enclosed is a picture of the cathedral taken around 1960 showing the damaged spire ...
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-cologne_cathedral_in_the_early_1960s.jpg  
Old 06-02-2022, 05:16 PM

... find enclosed some more details about the 1860 spire ... as far as I can see, the spire is hollow. It was made from cast iron to achieve eduction of static load on the crossing vault pillars ...
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-lossy-page1-800px-cologne_cathedral-_crossing_tower-_with_details-_1860.tif.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-cologne_cathedral-_crossing_tower-_cutaway_drawing_of_tip_with_details_of_frame-_1860.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-cologne_cathedral-_crossing_tower-_ground_frame_with_stabilization_ring-_1860.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-cologne_cathedral-_crossing_tower-_cutaway_drawing_of_base_with_cast_iron_shoes-_1860.jpg  
Old 06-03-2022, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Pleiner View Post
... find enclosed some more details about the 1860 spire ... as far as I can see, the spire is hollow. It was made from cast iron to achieve eduction of static load on the crossing vault pillars ...
This is so much more information than I was able to find. Thank you for sharing it with me. It's really good to see it. That 1960's photo of the old spire is wonderful, by far the best I've seen of it. Thanks for taking the time to show me this. It's really nice of you.

I managed to get the inner vertical buttress supports on the left hand side of the cathedral completed last night, I'll glue them this weekend, then hope to post some photos soon.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:48 AM

A bit more progress, more cutting and punching holes. I've now completed this small section of the flying buttresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3665.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3664.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3663.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3661.jpg  
Old 06-24-2022, 04:32 PM

Very beautiful indeed! May I ask why you didn't color the cut and folded edges?
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Pleiner View Post
Very beautiful indeed! May I ask why you didn't color the cut and folded edges?
It started out as 'I will do it later'.... but now I realize I have a very large task once completed to try and do it. I also struggled to find a suitable colour. I will do it, but now I can see the end in sight, so am very keen to complete the model before I colour the edges. I have now completed the parts 127 and 128, so whilst there's still a fair bit of work to get to 137, I can see the end :-)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I very much like the white edges. They emphasise the intricacy of the construction (both real and model), which effect could be lost somewhat if the edges were coloured. Not authentic, no, but it looks beautiful as it is. Just saying.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I very much like the white edges. They emphasise the intricacy of the construction (both real and model), which effect could be lost somewhat if the edges were coloured. Not authentic, no, but it looks beautiful as it is. Just saying.
I do tend to agree with you, the white edges aren't as 'stark' as the photos make them out to be, but I do think I will colour them. Currently I'm thinking a slightly lighter colour than the surrounding printing, so they still are emphasized.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:39 AM

Last night saw quite a bit of visual progress with the completion of both sides of buttresses. I've now just got the apse and the small spires at the ends of both trancepts to complete. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3796.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3795.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3791.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3784.jpg  
Old 07-07-2022, 03:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
This is the splendid model! The level of detailing really makes me shiver.