PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2022, 09:53 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged

This is my first build post on this forum.
I've enlarged the Schreiber-Bogen kitset to approx 1/195 scale. This has allowed me to detail the kit to my liking.
I started the first cut in August 2021, and as to date I'm now starting to assemble the flying buttresses.
I am traditionally a plastic kit modeler, so feel I am sometimes out of my depth with technique with paper models, however I've well and truly got the paper modelling bug, and this is my 4th paper model.
I can't speak highly enough of this particular kit, the designers have done an amazing job on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2720.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2356.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2366.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_3324.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_1289.jpg  

Reply With Quote
Google Adsense
  #2  
Old 05-30-2022, 10:38 PM
Viator's Avatar
Viator Viator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Poland
Posts: 344
Total Downloaded: 62.55 MB
Wooow! Really impressive! Great job!
__________________
Andrew aka Viator
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2022, 02:28 PM
Philip's Avatar
Philip Philip is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Croydon, UK
Posts: 2,231
Total Downloaded: 93.11 MB
As above. The amount of work involved makes me tremble.
__________________
Give me a pigfoot and a bottle of beer.
On Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/153077...57692694097642
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:03 PM
Thomas Pleiner's Avatar
Thomas Pleiner Thomas Pleiner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Landshut / Munich / Germany
Posts: 464
Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
.... nice to see what you achieve with my design from 1988 ...

Interesting: you're assembling the model in the same scale I did the original drawings in those days.

Watching your (And Marco's) assembly I detect some design-details I would handle different today ...

Anyhow - I am honored to see your build ...

Cheers
Thomas
__________________
Cheers
Thomas
www.mtp-studio.de www.kartonmodelle.org
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:31 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Google Adsense
  #6  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:43 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
Wooow! Really impressive! Great job!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:43 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
As above. The amount of work involved makes me tremble.
You're not the only one- I too tremble from time to time when I'm about to work on it :-) I'm glad you like it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:57 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Pleiner View Post
.... nice to see what you achieve with my design from 1988 ...

Interesting: you're assembling the model in the same scale I did the original drawings in those days.

Watching your (And Marco's) assembly I detect some design-details I would handle different today ...

Anyhow - I am honored to see your build ...

Cheers
Thomas
Thanks for your comments Thomas, I'm honored you have noticed this thread.
In the larger scale it's certainly a nice size model. It's been on my bucket list since I first saw it, and I'm enjoying the process.
I don't know how you got along without super glue back in those days :-), certain parts it's helped hold quickly.
The part that confused me for a while was the smaller centre spire. Your design seems to be the pre ww2 spire. Looking at reference photos of the modern spire it is quite different to the original. I couldn't find a decent photo confirming the top of that spire had cut outs, but I decided to do it, as your model appears to suggest they should be cut out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2022, 11:14 AM
Thomas Pleiner's Avatar
Thomas Pleiner Thomas Pleiner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Landshut / Munich / Germany
Posts: 464
Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzaro View Post
The part that confused me for a while was the smaller centre spire. Your design seems to be the pre ww2 spire. Looking at reference photos of the modern spire it is quite different to the original. I couldn't find a decent photo confirming the top of that spire had cut outs, but I decided to do it, as your model appears to suggest they should be cut out.
... you're right. At the time I've designed this model, we couldn't get hold of a n y documentation about the post ww2 spire (which was added to the chathedral in the mid 1950ties). So publisher and I agreed to have the 19th century spire there. This was indeed documented satisfyingly ...

Find enclosed some pictures of the spire as it is today ...
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-26778337830_55cb26f309_b-1-.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-vlcsnap-2022-03-05-18h38m44s699.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-vlcsnap-2022-03-05-18h41m12s767.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-vlcsnap-2022-03-05-18h33m52s968.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-vierungsturm.jpg  

__________________
Cheers
Thomas
www.mtp-studio.de www.kartonmodelle.org
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2022, 03:59 PM
Alzaro Alzaro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 36
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Pleiner View Post
... you're right. At the time I've designed this model, we couldn't get hold of a n y documentation about the post ww2 spire (which was added to the chathedral in the mid 1950ties). So publisher and I agreed to have the 19th century spire there. This was indeed documented satisfyingly ...

Find enclosed some pictures of the spire as it is today ...
I think you made the right choice, the original spire fits better with the design of the rest of the cathedral. From your documentation do you know if that spire is supposed to be hollow towards the top. Here's a few images I have managed to find on the subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2561.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2728.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2547.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen Cologne Cathedral enlarged-img_2546.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Google Adsense
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.33%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-2022, PaperModelers.com