PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-31-2022, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 MB
Unhappy LJ Models

I decided to take a break from my current model and build a few simpler models. I bought some LJ HO buildings and either the instructions or my brain are in really poor shape.

Mostly, the instructions say "assemble in number order" and "follow the diagram." I started with the "outbuildings" and I see misnumbered pieces (clearly, parts 2 and 3 are reversed) and the exploded version has more numbers than pieces. Next to part 10 is another, unlabelled square and no indication where it would go.

I put it down and took out the railway station and it's just as confusing.

I haven't found any online resources for LJ ~ I was hoping to find additional instruction references.

Can anyone help me out? Is my experience atypical?

Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 11-01-2022, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
The quality of card model instructions do vary.

Other build threads can help. Failing that studying photographs.

Dry fitting parts is always a good idea.

Tim
Old 11-01-2022, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
I know exactly what you mean ;-(

My latest kit has the same problems. It goes As far as having no indication what the lines should be. Could be a cut, a mountain fold or valley fold or a line showing where the next part fits. The joys of making the older kits.

Remember the old saying " what doesn't kill you makes you better" - A bit dramatic for a paper model but I hope you understand ;-))

Cheers
Mike
ps Thanks for the warning
Old 11-01-2022, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 MB
LJ Redux

I find dry fitting is my friend, but LJ shows a drawing of the model on the packaging (and not even a complete drawing, and, of course, from only two sides) and when the exploded diagram shows ten parts making up a small building but there are eleven numbered parts... it turns a fun project into a frustrating couple of hours.

The one I'm working on has five buildings in three styles. Only two are in the exploded diagram. I started with one of a pair of buildings. The diagram shows part numbers for one; I cannot see another identical set that I can "convert" the numbers back to.

I feel like the instructions are setting me up to fail. I also feel like I'm just complaining here, and that's certainly not why I'm back!
Old 11-03-2022, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I’m working on a frustrating model also, so I sympathize. Sometimes looking at photos of the original can help, if the original is a specific building and not, say, a generic trainstation.
Google Adsense

Tags
lj models