PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-02-2023, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki

"In 1812, Helsinki became the capital of the Grand Duchy of Finland. Based on the new city plan, the city began to spread out in different directions, including the northern part of Kruununhaka, which until then was mostly pastures.

Liisankatu-street became an elegant neighbourhood, but on the harsh Siltavuori ridges – in what was then the northern periphery of Helsinki – craftsmen, sailors and workers built small wooden huts.

Among these, present-day Kristianinkatu 12 was an exception: a tiny upper-class house with a salon and three chambers. The kitchen was originally located in a side building which also accommodated a baking room and a chamber. At the other end of the yard, there was an outbuilding that housed a stable, a barn, a carriage house and a woodshed, as well as an outhouse."

Source: Helsinki City Museum

In 1859, the property and its buildings were purchased by Alexander Wickholm, a minor official in service of the City of Helsinki. At that time, he worked as a Hose Master (funny title) and was in charge of the city’s firefighting equipment. Wickholm lived there with his wife Sofia, his children Ferdinand and Augusta, as well as three sons from his wife’s earlier marriage.

Wickholm’s daughter, Augusta Nevalainen, inherited the property and its buildings. When Augusta Nevalainen died in 1912, the house was left to her daughter Martta. Daughter later changed her last name to Bröyer and created a career as a highly original artist - pioneer of modern dance in Finland. She also realised the value of her family house and made it her goal to preserve it. In 1974, she sold the house to the City of Helsinki. Now, it has become a rarity In Helsinki, the oldest wooden house surviving in the city centre.

The kit is nice though a bit printed poorly, too much color at least in my example and some of the details were lost. It portrays the current status of the buildings pretty well. I've visited the location many times, hence my grandmother used to live nearby. Funny detail about the kit: in the base is also drawn a cross-section of the ground picturing the bedrock, gravel layer and top soil (third picture).

Tappi

Previous build of my Finnish paper models was this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-1.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-2.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-3.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-4.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-5.jpg  

The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-kit-cover.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-kit-sample.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-wickholm-family.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-martta-broeyer.jpg   The Burgher's House from 1818 in Helsinki-nowadays-photo-wikipedia.jpg  

Last edited by Tapcho; 05-02-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2023, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks for sharing the model AND the history.
Old 05-02-2023, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nice build of a pretty subject, Tappi. Right up my street, as we say.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thanks VK and Philip.

Tappi