PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-26-2023, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen

After a long time of mouth watering for this kit, I've got the chance to purchase it and I'll plan to build it during the next weeks... The kit arrived today in my house here in Brazil, after 25 days of waiting. Luckily, here in Brazil we don't pay taxes on online purchases (but we have to pay taxes during customs clearance if the purchase value exceeds USD$ 50), but I wasn't worried about that because I knew that I wasn't exceeding the value (the converted value of my purchase in BRL was far away from it.)
The kit comes with 9 double sheets, making a total of 17 pages plus 5 sheets of grey cardboard for the pages that require it. I can't wait to start sharing the bulding process to everyone here...

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-berlim_cathedral_pages.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2023, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking forward to seeing this built

Tim
Old 06-27-2023, 10:47 PM

Made some progress:
  1. Base is done, I don't know if the upper base parts were supposed to overflow on the sides, but I had to trim them on the borders a little;
  2. Back side wall alongside the bottom stairs and handrails on each sides as well the additional floor piece were built;
  3. Attached the side walls and made the support structure for the front stairs;
  4. Attached front wall while aligning it with the support structure;
  5. Lastly, I glued the stairs piece...

But I almost damaged this piece, because when I glued it the first time, I didn't really centered it, I glued it way off the center, because despite one side covering perfectly the white, the other side was going to be wrong(some white would appear) so after I almost glued the entire piece(and the rest was dry), I had to force unglue it and re-glue(thank God I faced almost no damage while removing it), but this time I positioned it better and it worked!! Both sides are correct and the white is 99,99% covered.

Below are the photos for what I've done so far.

Tomorrow I'll be adding the walls that goes on the holes on the stairs, wich starts the building of the front.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-base_back.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-base_front_stairs.jpg  

Last edited by gregoy; 06-27-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:40 PM

Today I added the remaing front walls as well the ceilings on the front and now I've started the left side. There will be more columms throughout the model, this is only the tip of the iceberg...
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-base_front.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-left_side.jpg  
Old 06-28-2023, 11:15 PM

I'm done for today.
  1. Completed the main part of the left side;
  2. And also finished the main part of the left side;

Tomorrow I'll be doing more sets of base/columms and gables that goes on the corners, 2 sets for each. Then I'll be working on the middle front final parts.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-left_side_completed.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-right_side_completed.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2023, 04:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice progress so far. It will be impressive when completed.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
This is going to be good.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:41 PM

More progress and a little of a headache today...
  1. Finished the corners;
  2. The front is also done;
  3. Also the roof base is attached, but...

I had some issues on 4 edges of the walls where they weren't very straight on the very top, they were either going outwards or going inwards, like, when I was trying to glue the roof half(reinforced by the provided cardboard); the force of having something heavy to make the glue set better(and also to make the surface as flat as possible)was bending the paper in unwanted directions and was ruining the look of the model. There was so much glue(normal PVA one) on those tabs that some of them ripped apart and I had to make some fixes using pieces from the remaing scrap of paper from the model pages. The thing that happened that frustates/pisses me a lot is that during the whole fixing process, some of the print was damaged, but fortunately I was able to minimize it and they are a little better, I think...

The last 2 pictures show the problem a little clearer:
The first shows part of the left side;
The second shows part of the back;

Now that this problem is kinda solved, now I'll be able to focus in making all the structures that goes over the roof...

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-corner_1_completed.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-corner_2_completed.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-front_completed.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-bad_border_1.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-bad_border_2.jpg  

Old 07-01-2023, 11:49 PM

After finshing the walls/statues that goes below the main dome this Friday, today(Saturday), I went through the following:
  1. I did the dome;
  2. The top parts and the cross;
  3. And lastly, I finished with the banister and the statues that goes with them around the dome.

I had quite a hard time to glue Part 35(wich is reinforced with cardboard) over parts 33/33a while maitaning an even outside space on the outside...
The only solution that worked to minmize the issue was gluing scrap pieces of cardboard on the edge of the gluing tabs to enforce the circle shape on them...
While this didn't solved the issue entirely, it reduced it a lot.

Tomorrow I'll be working on the remaining structures that goes on the roof.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-side_roofs_dome_finished.jpg  
Old 07-03-2023, 02:28 PM

Even with all the issues that arised upon me, I finished the model today, yesterday I did all the remaing structures that goes on the corners of the roof, and today I built the small bell towers/central roof statue as well the last few roof detailing pieces and done!! I really recommend the kit, there's some images throughout the kit pages and on some pieces itself showing the placement of some parts and while the instructions are only text, they are clear enough to follow and I'm can't wait for my next kit.

See you on my next build,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_front.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_right_side.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_back.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_left_side.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_dome.jpg  

Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_front_detail.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_roof_detail.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_small_dome_1.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_small_dome_2.jpg   Berlim Cathedral - Schreiber Bogen-finished_model_roof.jpg  

Last edited by gregoy; 07-03-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Google Adsense