PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-10-2023, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience

I decided that's the perfect moment to raise up the bar and tackle something more complex, so I'm going for Paris Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty's Castle from Robert Nava's The Disney Experience. The kit is 71 pages long and has 693 parts. The finished model, if built on the full size, is 74,93 cm tall(25,9 inches) and has a base of 62,23 cm(24,5 inches) by 69,85 cm (27,5 inches).

But... I wouldn't have any space to hold it once finished...

So, I decided to go for the classic "print 2 pages in one" workaround, and;

It's still 36 pages, but I know that the size in this case should be slightly more manageable in terms of storage, I hope...

If the math I did is correct, the new height of the model when finished will be 53,67 cm( 21,13 inches).

And it's working really well so far.
I've done the main castle tunnel(wich is supported by an U-shaped structure), the floor and as well the walls that surround it.
The support structure is attached on the floor by tabs that goes into slits that are cut into the floor wich is made of 4 parts.
There are some walls that goes around the floor and 2 of them encloses the tunnel wich makes up the front and the back of the model.

Now I'm working on the first tower; page 7 of 38 of instructions. Probably, I'll need to make something later in the buildng to circumvent the fact that some parts that are already small on the full-size kit got even smaller and their tabs are now almost microscopic.

Hope that the Gods of Papercraft help me on this one...

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-main_walls_front.jpg   Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-main_walls_back.jpg   Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-floor.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2023, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
I will be interested to see if this is an exact replica of the dimensions. Disney parks often use perspective tricks to make buildings appear taller or bigger from the viewpoint of the person on the ground.

I do recall visiting Disneyland Paris as a child and being slightly disappointed that there wasn't really much inside this castle and one couldn't climb up to the towers - guess I might have been expecting an actual sleeping princess or something?
Old 07-12-2023, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I guess that you printed the kit on thin paper. Thick paper and small parts seldom work together well. The subject of the kit is very interesting and colorful. I'm curious to see how it develops.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricleite View Post
I guess that you printed the kit on thin paper. Thick paper and small parts seldom work together well. The subject of the kit is very interesting and colorful. I'm curious to see how it develops.
No, I printed it in a 180gsm glossy photo paper, and once the glue sets, the parts become very strong...
Old 07-12-2023, 07:00 PM

Main tower now finished and attached to the floor.
When I took the photo, the glue wasn't fully set, and like usually some tabs on the bottom started to rip, so I had to remove the tower from the floor and add some scrap paper on those tabs to recreate the tabs and it kinda worked.. I think I made the mistake of adding glue in both the tabs and the floor, this way causing the paper to be flimsy and all wet, but after some cautious adjustment, I think that now the glue should set better.

Now the next phase is to build an structure that goes on the back of the building.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-main_tower.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2023, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoy View Post
...The finished model, if built on the full size, is 74,93 cm tall(25,9 inches)...If the math I did is correct, the new height of the model when finished will be 53,67 cm( 21,13 inches).
If you're printing A4-formatted files in A4 paper, the theoretical 2x1 height is sqrt(2) x 0.5 x 74.93 = 52.98 cm. Theoretical because, depending on printer and printing software, margins could be fixed-width instead of proportional.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
If you're printing A4-formatted files in A4 paper, the theoretical 2x1 height is sqrt(2) x 0.5 x 74.93 = 52.98 cm. Theoretical because, depending on printer and printing software, margins could be fixed-width instead of proportional.
The PDF for the kit is formatted on Letter size, so it uses less space on the A4 paper anyways.
The measures of the finished model that I mentioned before are from Disney Experience itself, and the new height that I calculated for the size I printed was just an estimation. I will be giving the final measures when finishing the model.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:36 AM

Now, regarding the build progress...
Yesterday I finished the rotunda, wich is attached to the floor and the central tower.

Today I'll be adding more structures that goes around the rotunda and the tower itself.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-rotunda.jpg  
Old 07-14-2023, 11:56 AM

Did this room+tower between yesterday and today.
Now I'm doing a large tower wich consists of various sections wich will go over both the blue and brown roofs.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-room_and_tower.jpg  
Old 07-16-2023, 04:31 PM

Although I made significant progress, as I added the tower with the balcony I mentioned before, another room and another small tower and the front tower, when I was adding the structure from the last post(the room, not the tower); I ran into the following:

The width of the room's wall was larger than the floor markings, and I was asking to myself: How this isn't matching the markings? I'm sure that I didn't made a mistake when I joined the 4 pieces that make up the floor... But unfortunately after some inspecting, I found out that I actually made a mistake when joining the floor pieces...

Looking from the front view, the joining is correct, the assemblies match the markings perfectly, but on the side view, I joined the pairs of floor pieces a little off from the marking, thus eating approx. 0.5mm of the floor markings.

While I managed to add sections D and E fitted to the previous assemblies properly(not on the floor, just on the assemblies' walls), I had to compensate for the mistake. And since sections B and C were already attached(and I didn't wanted to risk damaging those sections by force-removing them), and on top of that I'm wasn't feeling ok of printing all the base parts again just to fix that small mistake... I decided to move on and improvise on whatever future pieces that don't fit.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-tower_balcony_arch.jpg   Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-room_and_tower_2.jpg   Paris Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle - Disney Experience-tower_front.jpg  
Google Adsense