PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is very nice. Both the model and the work. I long to build large architecture models. Although I find myself compel to build the small ones!

I buy the movie Ivan the Terrible Part 1 and Ivan the Terrible Part 2 from eBay... they come to me the last week but I have not watch yet.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
This is quite small - compared with some of my models.

I guess the biggest is the Betexa "Prague Castle". I have also made one of the towns from the ABC book "Medieval Villages". I know they are big and both took about 6 months to make. But the way I look at it, is that I spend a few hours most evenings making models and look on the big models as lots of small models that get joined together. The ABC kit is a good example. There are lots of different buildings and they all fit onto a base when all the buildings are made.

I think I know which film you mean - I think it was made by Sergei Eisenstein ? A few months ago we were in Riga and there is an area of the town that has Arte Nouveu buildings designed by his son -Mikhail. Now if someone whould like to design a model of one (or more) of those, I'd buy the whole lot.

I hope you enjoy the films.
Mike
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM

dormer windows

The area I am now making is the spire on the central tower.

The first picture is a "spot the difference" The left hand dormer has been doctored. The first change is to remove the slot and tab on the roof. There is enough card to butt the two halves.

The second change is the angle of the wall, you will see that the left one has less card along the bottom. The next picture will show the difference between the "before" and "after".

The diagram is all that comes with the kit - the pictures are enough to work with.

The last picture is the tower, the roof fits on the top and the tower slides inside the outer tower - which can be seen in an earlier picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0083.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0084.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0085.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0087.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0088.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 06:24 AM

Here are a few pictures of my "dom-ain".

The kit has a cone and disc to be used as formers, while the "leafs" have slots and tabs.

I decided to remove all the above bits, add my own tabs and butt joint the rest. I was very impressed with the printing and found that the graphics lined up all the way to the top of each dome. I have not yet painted the edges and as you will see, there is very little painting required.

To give an idea of the size - the coloured domes are about 2 inches tall.

This is the final leg of the construction - They and the crosses are the last bits to go onto the building.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0100.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0101.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0102.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0103.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0104.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Wow! Those domes are gorgeous. Great work!
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You really have a flair for these magnificent onion-domed churches, Mike. I love to see your beautiful architectural models.

Oksana -- Ivan the Terrible is worth seeing. It is a very long experience, but most dramatic and impressive (like all Eisenstein films). I saw it over 50 years ago when I was a Navy ROTC midshipman at Cornell. I went to see it with two of my ROTC instructors, one of whom had been Navy attache' (ALUSNA) in Moscow and was an historian. He told me that the section in color in Part II because the Soviet Army had captured a bunch of German color film (I don't think that is true, since Part II was completed after the war). He also said that, as in the case of Alexander Nevsky, Eisenstein intended to represent the on-going struggle with the Germans, as well as the 16th century history.

Don
Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 PM

The final episode

The church is now complete.

It has been an interesting model. The die cut/slot/tab format is not my favourite, bit I must admit that this was the best of this format I've made. As I mentioned in the earlier note, the printing and accuracy of the parts is very good.

As you may guess from my comments, it has been a very enjoyable build!

So, here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0106.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0108.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0109.jpg   Church on the Spilled Blood-img_0111.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Magnificent, this is the word that comes to mind as I look at this wonderful church. You are a Master Architecture builder.:DRick
Old 09-26-2009, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Mike, that is outstanding! What a beautiful model and great build!