PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-19-2023, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 516.88 MB
Alcala del Jucar Castle

I have started building Alcala del Jucar Castle, a free download from Spain's Province of Albacete's web site:

Diputacion de Albacete

This is the third (and I think last) of the castle models from this site. My efforts at building the other two models are here:

Yeste Castle

Almansa Castle

This model is published as four A4 pages, which I printed on two letter size pages, so this is around half the designed scale. This model may be challenging because the castle is tall, narrow, and sits on a high bluff. (See the first picture below of the real thing.)

The model has "dirt skirts" to model the bluff. The narrow structure is modeled like a layer cake, as shown in the last two pictures. I'm concerned about the stability of the middle layer. Since the scale is small and there are some supporting walls, I'm hoping that I the model will be strong enough without the need to add internal structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcala del Jucar Castle-z01.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-z02.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-z03.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-z04.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-27-2023, 09:40 AM

I've assembled everything except the dirt skirts. I built the base and the tower sections separately, the glued the two assemblies together. They fit together pretty well, but I plan to do a little trimming and coloring to cover up the more obvious defects. I'll post final pictures after completing the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcala del Jucar Castle-b01.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-b02.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-b03.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-c01.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-c02.jpg  

Alcala del Jucar Castle-c03.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-c04.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-c05.jpg  
Old 08-27-2023, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Another charming build. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-27-2023, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
a good looking build - One of these days I'll make one of their "collection"

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-28-2023, 06:01 AM

Thank you for the kind comments.

Here are pictures of the completed model. The dirt-skirts were a problem -- perhaps I did not understand the designer's intents, but the skirts were far too large and I had to do a lot of tearing to get a basic fit of larger sections, and then some pasting of little pieces over gaps.

Although there are some rather obvious defects, I did enjoy building this model very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcala del Jucar Castle-f02.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-g02.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-g03.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-g04.jpg   Alcala del Jucar Castle-g05.jpg  

Alcala del Jucar Castle-g01.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2023, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
What a wonderful Spanish page with free models. They are all beautiful and extremely well designed. Thank you for shgaring.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Lovely build. You overcame the difficulties very well.