PDA

View Full Version : Photo request...

tazman3
05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
I have a request to all our wonderful members. There are some of you that do not post your pictures directly to the forum, and while that is fine, I for one, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, cannot see these pictures.

I'm not complaining, or anything like that, I would just appreciate if everyone posted their pics via the forum so everyone can see and enjoy their work. I have to pass over, and miss out, on the great work that some people do, and I hate that I'm missing it.

Again, not a complaint, your prerogative completely, but it would allow everyone to see your great work.

Thanks,
JH

airdave
05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Why can you not see some photos?
There must be a reason.
And there is always a fix.

Often, its your own browser settings
or maybe there are limits related to your internet connection.

Please, give an example of a photo you cannot see
and what exactly you do see in its place.
Also tell us about your system...Internet type...Browser program...etc

We have a lot of very smart techies here who can probably tell you
why you can't view certain images.

Attachments are a way to post images, but there are restrictions.
Sometimes I like to post thumbnails and sometimes not.
Attachments will only allow me to post thumbnails in posts.

There is an available Image gallery here at pm.com
where you can upload photos and then use them in your posts.
However there is a storage limit with that gallery
...I hit the limit in my first six months here!

Since this is not the only place I post, I need to store files
at central locations and then link to them.
I use a number of image hosts, but mainly photobucket.

If you can't see any of my photobucket links, then theres a problem
at your end...and I bet we can fix it.

rickstef
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
problem with posting pictures in the gallery or attaching them to a post is, that the pictures are saved in the Database, which when Jason told me last, was about 6.3 gigs in size.

and methinks your problem with viewing pictures that are linked to outside sources is because you are behind a firewall at the office, and those third party sites are blocked.

Rick

thorst
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I agree to the thread starter as I found numerous threads here with no image visible anymore because they were deleted from the hosting site.

[...] Attachments will only allow me to post thumbnails in posts. [...]

When you uploaded the photos as attachments to your post, you get the list of successful uploads with links, which can be used just as from photobucket or similar sites. You can just rightclick on the filename-link and copy it, to paste it in the "insert image"-dialoge. Same effect as linking a photobucket picture, but hosted here.

Thorsten

airdave
05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
As Rick says, the site has to store all the uploaded images.
I know, at my forum, I turned off the attachment option since
I am not the one paying for the storage space.

Its pretty easy to use an outside storage like photobucket.
And I think its fair to everyone.

I didn't think about those old threads where images are no longer visible.
In fact, I too have some very old threads that have non-working images.
(I'll gladly replace any of those images if someone requests)

One of the problems is photo storage galleries that hit their maximum 'free'
capacity and people start deleting older images to make room.
This of course kills links to those images.
And then there are the accounts that have gotten shut down over the years
because they aren't being used.
Not much we can do about those.

When I add an 'attachment' it uploads the file (as long as it meets
the restrictions) and then I have a file "attached" to my post.
Only other option available to me is "remove" the image.
I don't see a way to include a full size image...just thumbnails.
(But as I said, I don't expect pm.com to store all my images, because this isn't the only place I post them)

airdave
05-30-2013, 04:36 PM
and methinks your problem with viewing pictures that are linked to outside sources is because you are behind a firewall at the office, and those third party sites are blocked.

Rick

yeah, this issue has been brought up before.
The fact that many websites cannot be accessed by Office computers.
So, thats a definite possibility.

thorst
05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Dave, here is what I mean:

Copy the link adress of the uploaded pictures (link is red here in the "Manage Attachments"- window at "Current Attachments"):
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168897&stc=1&d=1369955855

And paste it here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=168898&stc=1&d=1369955944

... that's all. The proof are the pictures in this message ;)

Thorsten

airdave
05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
oh... ok
but thats really bypassing the intended method of including a attached file.
The link location isn't visibly offered for you to use.

and, as I said, I have no need to do this, because I store my images
on easy to use sites like photobucket, imagebam, flikr and more.

...and it doesn't overload pm.com with stored files.
For example, by posting those two images, we just added another 280kb
to pm.com's storage files.
Imagine if every member posted their images that way?

on a side note, I find it very interesting to see your screen grabs in German! lol
Did you know your version of Windows has all those funny words?

SJPONeill
05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
I use photobucket for all my online images; although I downsize them all to 600dpi for net-friendliness, and thus could probably upload them directly to the forum, having them in PB allows me to link the same image to posts in various locations. The online other online repository I use is the Wordpress one that directly supports my blog because WP is not that PB friendly.

As Dave says, there is not much that can be done about expired image links but from a user POV, one lesson that I have learned the hard way is to download any images that might support my own modelling research projects whenever I found them just in case they blink out of existence.

If we want to store more here, then we will be looking at paying for it and no doubt that burden can not be shared equally and will discourage some users...

airdave
05-30-2013, 05:56 PM
You mean 600pixels right? not dpi.

My photobucket accounts are set to automatically downsize any uploaded image to 1024px (to help reduce my storage amount).
Free accounts still have limits of total storage.

Photos that I upload to Photobucket for use on forums like this, I always resize to 800px.
(600px is a little small considering the average monitor size and resolution these days...even laptops have improved drastically)

But resizing to 800px (for me) is to guaranty an image is completely viewable on most forums.
One thing I hate is when an image is posted on a forum, and its too big to fit the screen. I hate having to scroll around. lol

As I said before, if anyone finds one of my threads, with an expired image,
just let me know, and I will reup the image and repost it.

SJPONeill
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
yeah...600 little techy thingies....:eek::eek::eek:

The size was driven by the width of the style I used of my first blog and I use Picasa to automatically export images in the size with my watermark added with equally autonomy...

Diderick A. den Bakker
05-31-2013, 05:05 AM
Talking of photo's: I now have over 1700 pictures in my collection on Flickr: New Photo Collection, via www.zeistbouwplaten.nl's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten/), with 41,500 visitors since November 2011.

Always happy with more pictures - please pm me if you have anything to add. Don't be too impressed by the super photography of many of them - as long as your pictures are sharp I can generally use them. Just add your name, publisher and scale.

at6
05-31-2013, 09:19 AM
I use Photobucket for my photo storage. That way I can place pictures on multiple forums when posted.