PDA

View Full Version : OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz 3/99 Shiden

Don Boose
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Herewith begins Boose’s OTDAEABT Shiden build thread.

The kit is Mały No. 3/99 and is by Ryszard Maj, who seems mostly to have designed armored fighting vehicles, although he did also design the Mały Grumman J2F-5.

The aircraft depicted is a Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden [Violet Lightning]. The N1K1-Ja was the early model of the land-based fighter version of the Kawanishi Kyofu floatplane fighter, with the mid-wing configuration and long undercarriage. The later, improved, N1K2-J Shiden Kai had a low-wing configuration and other changes.

The difference between the N1K1-J and the N1K1-Ja is that the "a" model had no 7.7mm machine guns in the nose, but was armed with four 20mm long-barreled Type 99 Mark 2 Model 3 cannon; two in the wings and two in gondolas under the wings. The model is consistent with this configuration.

The upper surfaces of the model are printed in a very dark green that is roughly consistent with the "black green" associated with the Shiden. The undersurfaces are gray. The interior is also gray and probably should be a shade of green.

The only markings are the red Hinomaru national markings, outlined in white on the fuselage and with no white outlines on the wings; bright orange leading wing inner leading edges; and the katakana character “tsu” [ッ] dash seven [ッ-7] on the vertical stabilizer. This would indicate that the model represents Aircraft No. 7 of the Tsukuba Kokutai [Tsukuba Naval Air Group], an operational training unit located at Tsukuba Air Base in Ibaraki Prefecture near Tokyo.

The model description includes the sentence, “Model samolotu został opracowany w skali 1:33 w barwach japońskiej grupy szturmowej marynarki wojennej ‘Tsukuba’.”

I make this out to mean something like “The model aircraft was designed in the scale of 1:33 in the colors of the Japanese naval assault group "Tsukuba". All the references I can find to the Tsukuba Air Group indicate that it was an OTU, but perhaps Shrike, Charlie C, Mike Krol, or one of the other markings mavens can provide more info.

The kit consists of four pages of thin glossy stock on which the cover, instructions, and Mały advertisements are printed; four pages of thin matt stock on which the three-view drawing, assembly drawings, and the keel, formers, spars, and ribs are printed; and four pages of .009” (0.23mm) stock on which the colored parts are printed.

The .009/0.23mm stock is of a slightly soft consistency, but does not contain mineral impurities and is nothing like the 1980s-era Mały paper. It is certainly superior to that of my Horrid Hampden. It can be rolled (carefully) without cracking and will take a compound curve, especially if dampened slightly.

As I have said elsewhere, my current printer is adequate for printing out downloaded models, but does not seem capable of accurately scanning the colors of this kit, so I have ordered a couple of spares (I actually had two kits, but one of them had the framework parts out of register, so I scanned that sheet – black and white scans are okay). I also scanned some of the parts, such as the cowl, for test fittings, in the course of which I found that the parts do not actually match up well – it is a pre-2000 Mały after all – so I can blame all of my poor craftsmanship on the kit!

More later, when I get the szkieletowej of the kadłub assembled.

Don

GreMir
02-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Don,
Tsukuba Naval Air Group was a training unit, but in May 1945 it became an operational combat unit flying Shiden fighters.
It looks like everything is as it should be.

I will be watching your build closely since I have this one in my 100%-to-do list :D

CharlieC
02-01-2009, 04:53 PM
As I have said elsewhere, my current printer is adequate for printing out downloaded models, but does not seem capable of accurately scanning the colors of this kit, so I have ordered a couple of spares (I actually had two kits, but one of them had the framework parts out of register, so I scanned that sheet – black and white scans are okay).

Don

I think we need a scanning guru to write a tutorial on scanning and rebalancing colour images - this turns up fairly often as a problem.

Regards,

Charlie

Don Boose
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Good point, Charlie.

Meanwhile, I have cut out the wzdłużnicy (keel, parts A and B), along with wręgi G through D.

I like this form of construction, which is reminiscent of stick-and-tissue modeling and may help a duffer like me when it comes time to attach the fuselage skins. I do not recall ever seeing this construction method before.

The orange peels next to the agari cup are a test shot for the cowling.

Time to call it quits for today, but as Porgy says at the end of the opera, “I’m on my way!” (私はそちらに行きます!)

Don

Gharbad
02-01-2009, 05:40 PM
That's interesting, what kind of plane construction are you used to?
Me having mostly MM kits, this is really common for me. The other being cylindrical sections with formers on both ends. Personally I prefer this style better, because you don't get the potential gaps between sections.
This kit always looked relatively nice and I've been eyeing it for years.

B-Manic
02-01-2009, 05:40 PM
A Japanese fighter Don? I'm surprised, not, the sheets look like this will build up to a fair sized model. Sorry about the scanner problems. That complicates things.

guddorakku!

Don Boose
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Kuba -- Most of the kits I have, including most of the Małys are of the kind with cylindrical sections with formers on both ends, with (preferably) or without joining strips. And, of course, most of the Fiddlers Green and DGA models have no formers at all in the smaller scales. I am more comofrtable with this approach.

Douglas -- Eventually, I'll get the printer problem sorted out. For now, I have some back-ups in case I make any drastic errors, so the inabilty to use scans is not a show stopper.

I've had this kit for a long time and built it in my head repeatedly. I have been wanting to start on another 1/33 model of a Japanese fighter ever since I finished the Hampden and this one intrigued me. If I succesfully complete it, I hope to start on a line of GreMir and other Nakajima fighters.

Now, LIl has cooked up some Ramyun and I we are going to settle down to noodles, kimchi, and the Superbowl.

Don

Don

birder
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Very cool Don, love this airplane, MM version may not be perfect, but will look forward to seeing this plane!

Don Boose
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Glen. I've had my eye on it for a long time. It is my favorite Japanese Navy fighter -- I think the seaplane version is one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built. The extended landing gear of the N1K1-J is fascinating. And the model appears to be reasonably well engineered. I'll soon find out how the fit of the parts is, but it didn't take a second for me to jump in on this contest. Don

dansls1
02-02-2009, 01:44 PM
The 'covered framework lattice' method of the planes is prevalent in most of the newer computer-drawn aircraft kits. You can think of this one as your 'intruduction to Halinski's' :D

Don Boose
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Not much progress to report. Mostly I have been contemplating the poor fit of the parts and trying to decide whether to build up the formers or reduce the size of the skins. I think the best approach for now is to get the framework glued up and all the skins cut out and formed, then to see how best to approach the cutting and filling.

I'll probably start building some of the subassemblies, like the rather simple engine, to keep my spirits up in the meantime.

Don

GreMir
02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Don,
I would leave the skins the way they are and adjust the formers. This of course depends if adjacent skin segments are matching....

Gharbad
02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Well Don, with the thing I'm building right now I sort of regret building up the formers. I have annoying misfits between every segment [though not tragic], since each former is now a different size. Then again I haven't seen it with trimmed skins. I'd probably have to paint quite a bit to have it make sense.

B-Manic
02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
That's a pretty big size difference Don. I have had this problem with MM aircraft. In some cases the former problem was not consistent throughout the model. Some formers were too big, some too small, & none just right. That's why we love to hate them I guess.

Gharbad
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Though in defense of MM and all the Wasiaks everywhere, I ran into the same problem with the Hokum, which was designed by Halinski himself :p

Don Boose
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys!

My plan is to cut out all the skins and test fit them. Then I will have a better idea as to where I stand. If the skins match each other pretty well, then I will enlarge the formers.

There is also the issue of the formers not all matching the keel, but that's easier to deal with.

Don

KCStephens
02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Don,
Looks like you've got your hands full with this one. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll do a terrific job.

Papercut
02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Don I am looking forward to your build. I have read your other contest thread, and I believe you sir are a meticulous builder.:) Rick

birder
02-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Nice to see you have time to do this one, Don! My Hellcat has not arrived yet, maybe tomorrow. Gharbad is right the Hal a6m had some former issues too! However I've not ever adjusted the skins...who knows I haven't seen mine yet there's a first time for everything:D

treadhead1952
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice choice there Don. Looks like you are well on your way to working this one out despite the technical difficulties of matching colors.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Don Boose
06-27-2009, 03:01 PM
As I have explained in my Marek Shoki thread, I have been unable to devote enough time to complete this fascinating model and will be unable to complete the contest. I do hope to finish it someday and will take the liberty of continuing this thread then, even though it will no longer be a contest thread. I also look forward to building the new Shiden-Kai just coming on line.

Best wishes to all the friends who have participated in this contest and many thanks to Old Toddlea.

Don

B-Manic
06-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear you will not be able to complete this build before the contest ends. I hope we see it completed later.

BTW - you expressed some interest in the the 7TP I am building so I thought you might like to know that WAK has a new kit. It looks like they also have laser cut frames/wheels and laser cut tracks for it.

Wydawnictwo WAK - Wroc?awskie Atrakcje Kartonowe (http://www.wak.pl/)

http://wak.pl/images/wak0905_okl.jpg

Don Boose
06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Many thanks, Douglas, both for the good wishes and for the info on this model. I like that Polish tank and hope to build one some day as a gift to my Polish son-in-law. I'm delighted to know that WAK now has their version on the street, and I will certainly acquire this model and the accessories. However, the first AFV on my to do list is the Japanese Type 94 Tankette.

Don

cjwalas
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Don, I'm sorry to hear you won't make it across the finish line. Regardless of that, it's been a genuine pleasure to have your company along the way. Isn't that what these competitions are all about, really? I look forward to seeing you get a chance to finish up your Japanese squadron and best of luck on your intriguing job.
Chris

Don Boose
06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Chris! Good to hear from you. You are an incredibly busy person who manages to turn out a lot of very high quality models.

I agree that the value of these contests is the good company, the incentive to build (and in my case, to try to punch above my weight), the shared experience, and the wonderful models that result.

Don