PDA

View Full Version : OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless

Gharbad
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Alright here goes my next one.

Designed by Bohdan Wasiak yet again.

4 pages of parts, 1 page of formers.

This plane is supposed to be from the 243 dive bomber division of the 1st Marine Air Wing, in 1943. That's my rough translation, don't know what the proper format is.

Seems simple enough, and the canopy is easier than the F-5. The author claims this one is easy, so we'll see.
I already suspect problems, so I'll be more careful this time - I'm going to cut the formers too large, so I can actually shape them together and avoid the misfits I had last time. That was the first and last time I cut all the formers at once before trying them out.

If the model works out it should be a nice plane. I really like these American Pacific theatre planes.

I'll start something later today, once I finish some more school work.

cjwalas
02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Good luck on this one, Kuba! How is the printing on your kit. On mine, the black alignment is slightly off. Not terrible, but not great.
Chris

Gharbad
02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Luckily I don't see any alignment issues with mine.

And I just finished my work for now, so I guess I better get started!

Don Boose
02-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Kuba --

I'm very glad to see you taking this one on. From the photos, it looks like a very nice model and with your skill and experience, the finished airplane should turn out to be a real beauty.

Although the unit identification is entirely clear from your translation, the official title was Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 243 (VMSB-243). Based on the red outlines to the national insignia, the model depicts a VMSB-243 aircraft in 1943, probably during the time the squadron was based in the Solomon Islands and supporting operations in Bougainville as part of the First Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW-1).

Don

birder
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Cool one Kuba! That should be nice!:)

B-Manic
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice choice Kuba. I like the colour scheme on this one.

Gharbad
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the clarification Don. It's pretty interesting, I never really thought of the things I build as belonging to someone. They were always just some random machine. It's good to see it in a different way.
Thanks for the luck guys.

My progress:

Somehow I got most of the fuselage done, though not all glued together yet.

My suspicion paid off, and most of the formers are too small just like before.
I have a new system for dealing with them now:
a) Cut out the adjacent skins accurately, and the formers oversized
b) Trim and/or sand down the formers to almost fit the skins, leaving it a bit large, trying to fit them both decently
c) Once I find a compromise, I sand them both at once, making them match and also small enough to be just right for both skins.
e) Now that the formers actually fit, I can follow Mr Wasiak's instructions - glue both formers simultaneously. Starting with the marked middle point of symmetry, I glue a quarter of one, then the other, and so on, until I just have a flap left.

e) Now I carefully take the flap to meet, and mark the point of overlap if the formers came out too small. That was part of the compromise between adjacent skins. I trim that off, and hopefully it ends up matching.

f) Finally you sand the faces of both sides to make it as flat as possible.

I know others do it differently, and it isn't perfect. It's working pretty well though.
Here are a few segments just stacked, without glue. [note the bottom segment isn't supposed to match, it's an under detailed part of the cowl]

The design calls for making the segment and then cutting out holes for things like the cockpit. I tried it, and it was pretty iffy. With a fresh blade it cut alright, but I still got some shredded edges.
Not only that, but it's hard to actually fit things in. I resorted to needle nose pliers through the open circles in the formers... if you want to do it this way you might want to cut them larger for even more control.

Here's the very basic cockpit. There's nothing planned to seal the giant gaping hole into the fuselage at the gunner's feet, I could've done something but didn't really plan ahead. It was awkward enough without extra things blocking access.

You can see that one segment didn't line up, but besides that the skins fit together pretty well. I have all the segments right up to the tail, and none have significant misalignment.

cjwalas
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Kuba,
This looks really good already. If there's one thing I've found consistent in Mr. Wasiak's designs, it's the undersized bulkhead formers. Sounds like you've got a good approach for all of his designs.
Chris

Gharbad
02-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks Chris.

Guys, I have a question. In a plane like this, does the engine rotate with the prop or is it stationary?

As for my progress, I haven't glued anything for 2 days and I'm already going through withdrawl. I'm just starting the cowl and engine right now.

Edit:
Well after a bit of research this thing has a radial engine, not a rotary engine, so it is stationary. That meant nothing to me before, but now it does. Now back to gluing!

Don Boose
02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Looks good, Kuba.

As you say, the engine in the Dauntless was a stationary radial, as opposed to a rotary, engine. I don't think there were many rotary engines in service long after WWI. Probably too complex for heavier, more powerful engines.

Don

GreMir
02-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I think that rotary engines dissapeared after the Great War....

redhorse
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
except in Mazdas. But wait that's different...

Gharbad
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah I figured they were older, but I also couldn't really believe it when I first realized they rotate. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyways, here's the Dauntless engine, supposedly a Wright R-1820.

I could've made the cylinders more rounded, but eh, I was worried the cowl would hit it and there is nothing to fill the gaps that would've formed.

Here are all the segments, some glued, sitting beside each other. I need to do some more prep work before gluing them together, like attaching the prop.

Luckily the USAF insignia came out fairly aligned, but it's slightly off on the other side.

Don Boose
02-23-2009, 06:18 AM
The engine looks great, Kuba. My Shiden also has similar flat cylinders. I think they do a good job of providing some sense of depth in the engine while being of relatively simple construction.

It looks like the fuselage segments are matching up well -- although I am sure your craftsmanship is playing a major role there!

The insignia lined up very well. Technically, it is not a USAF insignia since your airplane is a Marine Corps SBD and the US Air Force wasn't established until 1947. It was so long ago that the distinctions among the Army Air Service (1918-1926), US Army Air Corps (1926-1941), US Army Air Forces (1941-1947), and USAF (1947 to date) have tended to fade, but they were different names for the US Army's air arm until 1947 and the separate US Air Force of today. The Army still retains its own Aviation Branch for direct support of Army ground operations. The Navy has always had its own air arm that remains separate from the USAF. And your beautiful Dauntless is a US Marine Corps airplane.

Here is the Naval Historical Center's page on US Navy and Marine Corps aircraft national insignia: Aircraft Markings (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq2-1.htm) You can see that the red-outlined insignia on your Dauntless was in use from May to September 1943, so we can date the time your airplane was flying with some precision.

But whatever you call the national insignia, your Dauntless is really excellent -- as always with your models!

Don

Gharbad
02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Heh, as soon as I woke up this morning I was thinking how I called it USAF... and totally saw that coming! Thanks for not disappointing ;)
It's interesting though, I've been noticing the slightly different markings as I build these things but never paid it much thought.
I read most of that link you gave, but I'm still a bit confused. Is the National Insignia common to all the various groups, but some other markings are specific?
As always thanks for the backstory! I learn as I build.

Don Boose
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Kuba --

I kind of figured that the "USAF" thing was a slip of the keyboard, but thought I would make the comment anyway.

With regard to your question about standard insignia: Over the years, the basic US national insignia for aircraft has been standard for all the services, but there are often variations among the services, or even within the services, based on unique requirements or compatibility of the insignia colors with the aircraft colors.

For example, since 1947 there has been one standard US national insignia: a white star inside a blue disk with blue-outlined white bars on either side and a red bar inside each of the white bars. It is used by the USAF, the Army, the Navy, the Marine Corps, and the US Coast Guard.

However, each service has sometimes used variations on that basic insignia. For example, when the Navy's aircraft were painted overall dark sea blue, they just stenciled the white star and bars, and the red bars on the airplanes, leaving the basic aircraft color to represent the blue parts of the insignia. And all the services have sometimes used black or dark gray stencils to represent the white and red parts of the markings for low-visibility color schemes or to avoid making the aircraft vulnerable to infrared-seeking weapons.

It's a complex topic, just for US insignia, but it also adds to the unique appearance of some aircraft and helps to identify when and where the airplane in question served.

Always keep in mind that when I make these kinds of postings, my comments should always be prefaced by the words, "As far as I know" or "According to the sources I have available to me." And if I am in error, one or more of the other friends in the Forum who are also interested in these things, like Charlie C. or Shrike or GreMir, will always weigh in with a friendly comment to set the story straight.

And none of my comments are ever meant to criticize another modeler. In the end, what is important is what pleases the model builder, regardless of historical accuracy or other considerations.

Don

Gharbad
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Hehe, yeah I saw your "sources" comments before.
Wasn't a slip of the keyboard, more of my brain - I just don't have any background in anything really. The comments are always appreciated, definitely.

member_3
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
And don't forgot one of Don's best prefaces to erudite statements of ponderous pontification..."I had a dream!" Just kidding, Don - in addition to being the Forum's most proliferative poster you are also one of the best sources of good, solid historical info. Keep 'em coming!

Gharbad
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Just one bit of progress for today.

I'm almost done the prop. The original construction was a circle with the blades attached, and I don't know how you were supposed to make it not terrible.
I cut that apart, and put a shaped toothpick in each blade. I added a former for the cone (since there wasn't one), and put in another toothpick as the shaft. I'll hide the toothpicks and then paint it alumnium next time.

The real one can be seen on this page:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/501-600/walk536_Dauntless_Bailey/walk536.htm

Right now I have to get back to school work yet again... got some tests tomorrow.

Don Boose
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
That's an excellent prop assembly, Kuba. And the photo resource is very useful.

Don

PS: Ron -- In my dream, it looked like a Corsair. Probably of VMF-214.

redhorse
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Good luck with the tests, and thanks for that link.

Good seeing this kit being built!

B-Manic
02-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Very nice prop. Much better than the typical MM flat representation.

cardmodeler
02-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Nice job so far! I had this kit. Built the fuselage, and was surprised at how well it turned out, other than some misalignment of the insignia on one side. Ran into a problem with the wing root/fuselage assembly when I suffered a temporary loss of modeling skills and botched the thing irreparably. Didn't think it through carefully enough...:(

I'll be very interested to see how yours comes out.

Gharbad
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys.

That's sort of disappointing to hear, I'm approaching that section too. I also wanted to make it more complicated because the painted-on-dots of an air brake look pretty awful, and I've never actually done that before. I don't think I can build it unless I put some holes in those wings :o We'll see what happens.

cardmodeler
02-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes, you must do some serious trial-fitting with the inboard wing panels that wrap around underneath the fuselage. You may have to do some coloring on the bottom to get things to match up.

Gharbad
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Luckily both tests went very well today... and I finished the prop.

I just made a little box around the toothpicks, vaguely shaped like the reference photo, and added a spacer which is necessary. I painted it with some aluminum enamel I bought years ago for plastic models.
I had to paint the tips yellow, front and back. The original design left the front white, but the back was solid black. The resource Don gave earlier said both front and back should be yellow-orange, so I painted both but used plain yellow. That source also says the hub should be solid black... sort of like the walkaround I linked to, but I think the blue looks pretty good.

I cut out one wing and I sort of tried it on. Doesn't seem like a train wreck, but it will need fitting.

Don Boose
02-25-2009, 07:45 AM
That is one fine propellor, Kuba! I like your technique.

Don

Gharbad
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't know about technique Don, I'm making this up as I go along!

I did some of the wing today.
I'm pretty sure this disqualifies me from the contest, but I really couldn't bear to leave it with drawn on dots on the dive brakes.
It's so prominent on the real plane...
http://goldenstate.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/dauntless.jpg

Anyways, this segment is sort of odd. Not only is it a total practice run, and I made a ton of mistakes, but you can barely see the results.
Going by some reference photos, I approximated the interior. Oddly enough this is the very first time I've modified a kit beyond some trimming.
First I added some supports, and one of the structural beams, along with the obligatory landing gear cork.

Then came the paintjob and the actuators, finishing the interior. [wow, bad lighting hides the paint... everything visible is either aluminum, red, or white. Looks some sort of weird grey tone right there...]

This is actually a lie, because there should be 2 shafts; one for the upper brake and one for the lower. It seems the shafts get pushed/pulled from the fuselage, opening the brakes by pushing them with the little levers. This segment only has the lower brake, but I'm assuming the other would pass through to continue on, I don't know, I can't find a picture of this part.
The colours seem to be pretty standard, every picture I can find uses red.

I closed it up, and proceeded to attach the wing.

It turns out I didn't need to trim anything, but there is a gap. That was fixed with those strips.

Looking underneath, you can see the trailing edge didn't line up with the fuselage at all. I'll have to paint that... getting sick of painting :o

You can also see that essentially nothing is visible of the interior, but you can see that I got some red paint outside, and poorly covered it up...
Lesson one: punch holes after painting.
This is the smallest segment of dive brake, so I'm not too worried. The rest should look much better, and on the wings you have them above and below, meaning you'll actually see inside.

member_3
02-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow! That's going above and beyond. You are correct in that the perforated brakes were a very visible feature and deserve to be modeled. This promises to be a beautiful model.

birder
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Your' making this look good Kuba! Way to go!:)

redhorse
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
You're turning this kit into a work of art!

Gharbad
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Right now I'd say it looks like a Jackson Pollock ;)
But thanks guys, I was starting to doubt if it was worth it.

B-Manic
02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Wow Kuba you are really raising the bar on this one. Looks good, I can't wait to see how the rest of the wing turns out.

Personally I prefer Kandinsky to Pollack. :)

~ Cheers

Gharbad
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Just an update.... no updates on the model.
Right now I'm in the home stretch of school, so it's a big crunch as courses start to wrap up and deadlines hit.
Probably another 2 weeks before I consider doing anything, unless I'm randomly in the mood or something.

Don Boose
03-16-2009, 06:08 AM
I can understand the school "distraction," Kuba. I've been tied up with school also for the past three weeks (doing student evaluations, participating in our annual two-week-long Strategic Decision Making Exercise, and preparing lectures) and haven't done any modeling at all.

But I look forward to your continued work on this one. I will try to blot out the vision of you standing -- Jackon Pollack-like -- on a stepladder, pouring paint on the Dauntless at random, and will focus instead on the meticulous work you did on the dive brakes.

Don

Gharbad
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Haha, though at this point I'm more likely to splash solder on it, or maybe set it on fire.
My desk is mighty cramped right now... you'd think I'd clear it off when I do something else.

Gharbad
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Since I received my degree today (Woooo) I'm officially unemployed for the time being and the modeling should move on.

I'm working on the tail right now, some photos tomorrow! Maybe I can still make the deadline...

birder
06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Congratulations!:cool:

Gharbad
06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks Glen!

dansls1
06-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Congratulations on the degree ;)

redhorse
06-19-2009, 09:26 PM
That's great news!!! Looking forward to the models you make in your downtime.

Gharbad
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Dan!

Sure is Jim, pretty awesome that I'm done with that. I hope to get a few good models in, especially since I haven't built one of my modern kits in a few years now.

Don Boose
06-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Congratulations, Kuba! That's very good news -- good for you that you have the degree and good for us that we will see more of your outstanding models.

Don

cjwalas
06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Congratulations, Kuba! Great news and I look forward to seeing more of this build as well.
Chris

Gharbad
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks Don and Chris!

The tail section is complete, sans landing gear and some small things.

First the vertical stabilizer went on, with the standard envelope + edge support. I positioned the envelope such that it rested against the fuselage. I think you're supposed to sand the edge part to the correct profile, but I prefer to just place it away from the edge and curl the skin.

Here it is closed, and the sides get filled in by another piece later.

To make the front 'nose' of the stabilizer, I glued together the two halves with some joining strips inside. They really helped.

From above, and you can see the sides are now complete... I thought I gave them its own photo, oh well. You can also see the piece wasn't long enough, and left a white square...

Then I did the horizontal stabilizers... standard construction again.

From below:

I guess next I'll work on the wings. My punch is going to get a good workout.

Don Boose
06-21-2009, 04:25 PM
You're really making time, now, Kuba!

Looks great.

Don

Gharbad
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Well I didn't make the deadline, I barely touched it since the last update.
I'll slowly finish it off though, not much left.

B-Manic
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Kuba -it was coming along so well

cjwalas
06-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Darn, Kuba! I thought you were going to surprise us with a bunch of great shots of the finished model.
I do look forward to seeing you finish this one sometime. At least the pressure's off for now.
Chris

Gharbad
06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Heh, thanks.
Sorry to disappoint, but I just had no motivation to work on it recently. I'm also going camping next week... hopefully I won't make you wait too long.
Then I can get back to the Hokum, possibly one of the longest running build threads around here.

Don Boose
07-01-2009, 06:36 AM
I look forward to seeing the finished model when you have the chance to complete it, Kuba. You have certainly done a superb job on this airplane, which is one of my favorites.

Don

Phil
07-01-2009, 07:22 AM
I have a degree too! It's 98.6 and I don't see why all the fuss about it!
(bad joke).
Congratulations Kuba!

Gharbad
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Personally I prefer Celcius Phil ;)

Part of why I haven't been working on it even when I had some time was because I saw trouble ahead. The wings aren't very well designed... in fact they're pretty bad.

The skins just don't make much sense. The bottom is clearly larger than the top by a few %, and aligning the edges gives a terrible warp. The tail section did the same thing actually, but they were small so I didn't care.

I decided on aligning the skins, because I really did not want to mess up the detail. I could not redraw anything better...

Because of that, I simplified the air brakes. I decided it wasn't worth the effort if the rest of the model isn't up to par. I simply punched the holes and attached some formers to box it in. Because you can barely see the stuff I already made, even with great effort, there's no inconsistency really.

Now here was another issue... the air brake holes were spaced insanely close. They were all touching pretty much. I didn't want to change the size from the previous part, so I punched every other hole. Very inaccurate, since even the original had too few holes, but I think it's an acceptable approximation.

And now we go to warp factor 5...

I tried to straighten it a bit and ended up making an ugly crease (not pictured).
My consolation is that you have to look at it from this angle to see the warp really, so I'm thinking overall it will still look pretty good.
Oh well, I trudge on.

Don Boose
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I can see the crease!

But seriously, I think you made wise decisions, Kuba, given the cards you were dealt with this model. It looks good to me and, even with the (technical) deviation from the original dive brake perforations, you have accurately captured the look and image of the airplane (far more than just the general impression of size and shape, or "jizz" as birders say).

This will be even more true when the wings are attached and seen in the overall context of the model.

Don

Gharbad
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
You see a crease ;) The big one is on the top. But thanks for your support!

I did some cockpit stuff like the seats, though not installed yet.
The second wing is in progress, all cut out, just waiting for assembly.

I had to cut out slots for the front machine guns into the cowling. It came out surprisingly good, though I'll need to touch up the edges with some paint. The black stripe on the top is the inside of an air intake, and it's misaligned from me trimming the cowling rings to fit properly.
(Prop is still loose)

The rear machine gun needed to be scratchbuilt. The instructions gave a crude little 1:1 side view, and I followed that. Sadly almost every thing I can find online has a double machine gun, a random website did say they used a single one and the double was an upgrade. The cover art for this kit shows the single machine gun, so maybe it's accurate, I don't know.
It looks pretty good, waiting to be painted.

The ammo belt is just a strip of paper folded into a tight accordion, does a decent job I think.

Here's an overall view, things just lying beside each other.

Don Boose
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the standard rear cockpit armament on the Speedy-3 was a twin .50-cal., Kuba. Shrike or Charlie C. will know for sure.

But I'm certain that there were a couple of them flying around out in the Pacific with a single gun at one time or another, so I would never sharpshoot your model on that score. Dan will come up with a good story to explain how it happened.

I really like that engine, cowling, and prop assembly and the shot of the parts just lying beside each other shows that you really have captured the appearance of the airplane and reminds me why I love the Dauntless.

Don

shrike
07-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Single or double .30's in the aft cockpit. Early ones had a single in a classic Scarff ring, evolving to a twin mount with armoured gun-shield. I appears to have been a field mod kit, so any variation inbetween could be right.

Gharbad
07-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Good to know, thanks.
This kit mounts the gun on an arm emerging from inside the fuselage, by the way.

The wing is almost done... tomorrow I should have the whole thing glued together and move onto details.

I can't wait to go at a modern kit :)

Yu Gyokubun
07-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Not only cowling and slots but scratchbuilt rear machine gun is so nice

dansls1
07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Excellent progress ;)

cjwalas
07-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Coming along very well, Kuba. I look forward to seeing this beauty done. You're doing an excellent job despite some shortcomings in the design.
Chris

Gharbad
07-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks guys!

Not as much progress as I hoped, I was getting very distracted today for some reason.
I glued together everything, so it's now a plane! Looks almost the same as the last picture, but it has two wings now ;)

Main landing gear is almost done, just need to paint the wheels.
Other than that, I need to do the canopy which shouldn't be too bad, and then minor details.

redhorse
07-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm looking at the kit, and I'm really impressed with what you've done with this.

Of course, you do know what you need to do next? Take up Dan's challenge and do the Halinski version :D I'm looking at that one now, and in your hands, that would turn into a pure work of art!

Don Boose
07-13-2009, 04:31 AM
It does look great, Kuba. Jim is correct -- now that you have a feel for the airplane, it's time for you to start the Halinski version (part of our plot to keep you building WWII U.S. Navy airplanes).

Don

GreMir
07-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Looking good!
I heard opinions that this is one of the "unbuildable" kits, but you are proving that the plane can be build and achieve excellent result.

Gharbad
07-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm glad you guys like it. This is definitely the most modification I've ever done to a model, and it seems it's worth it :)

Though the Dauntless is growing on me as a really cool plane, I want a good break from it. Maybe some day...
I already have my next two models planned, actually. Hopefully well fitting and supposedly easy :p

I really wanted to finish the canopy today, but I made a really stupid mistake. I was trying the double-sided tape approach suggested by someone... I never remember (sorry!). Anyways, I did a test piece which worked, then on the real thing I attached the plastic before cutting out the frames. So I started cutting.. and was left with a useless frame. I had to scan and reprint, and it looks the same, so no damage I guess. I'll finish that off tomorrow.

I finished the front section sans exhaust pipes. First I had to shape the piece, looks pretty interesting. The machine gun slots are then 2 parts, bottom half has a wall and the top is a cavity.

The guns are a rectangle rolled into a tube, and I cut off a notch to fit the cavity vs wall.

Glued in, I think it looks pretty cool. I'm happy with the front in general.

Most annoying thing is the coloring I did... doesn't fit perfectly and isn't consistent. At a distance it looks ok though. I think I need to invest in those quality pens people rave about or get more patience with paint.

You can also see the pilot's chair. All that stuff has been done a while but not glued in until now.

Shot of the landing gear. You can see the rear wheel out of focus in the distance.

The model provides the two hard points you can see in the photo, but not the bombs for it. Think I should make some? They do look kind of useless right now.

Gharbad
07-14-2009, 07:20 PM
So the thing is 99% done.

Turns out I lost a piece... it's a little bulge on the tail, I don't know if it was a light or what. Oh well, doesn't matter.
I also have 4 strips of blue, #32. No idea where it's supposed to go, and haven't found a need for it.

The only legitimate thing remaining is the bomb. For some reason, the kit doesn't include the front segment. I'm just supposed to make it. Maybe he ran out of space?

Anyways, here's a photo just to prove I'm not lying ;)

I'll take more tomorrow when it's finished (and when the sun isn't down!)

Yu Gyokubun
07-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Seeing the last photo it is hard to believe this is one of the unbuildable kits. Its the proof that your modification work was superb!

cjwalas
07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Looks fantastic, Kuba! Makes me want to try this one myself!
Chris

paperscalemodels
07-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I also have 4 strips of blue, #32. No idea where it's supposed to go, and haven't found a need for it.
seems like the arrow points towards #28,29,30,31
to wrap around pilot's cabin ?

The only legitimate thing remaining is the bomb. For some reason, the kit doesn't include the front segment. I'm just supposed to make it. Maybe he ran out of space?instructions recommend using modeler's clay or round piece of wood

Gharbad
07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks Yu, though modification seems like a strong word. It's just lots and lots of little corrections, though enough to make me really happy I can move on!

You can go and try it Chris, but you can't trust anything. Key thing is the formers being too small, in case you don't want to re-read the thread ;) Works out easier than the Lenin car for sure!

seems like the arrow points towards #28,29,30,31
to wrap around pilot's cabin ?

instructions recommend using modeler's clay or round piece of wood

I thought about the cabin, but it's not visible in the drawings. It doesn't really fit either. I'm just going to leave them alone, not much I can do now anyway.

I'm going to go with wood and do that tomorrow.

Thanks for your concern :)

Jimmy Three Shoes
07-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I think this looks GREAT!!!!!! You did a really good job !

B-Manic
07-14-2009, 11:38 PM
GREAT work Kuba, nice to see it finished (99%). The frustration level should be printed on the cover of these kits.

Don Boose
07-15-2009, 05:05 AM
That 99 per cent photo is terrific, Kuba. You have definitely captured the essence of Dauntless in this model. It's a beauty!

Don

dansls1
07-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Excellent plane Kuba! Great job.

Gharbad
07-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the words, and for paying attention after so many months!
I shouldn't have posted that photo, now you'll compliment essentially the same thing twice, or just stay silent for the real deal ;)

Final comments...
I couldn't keep the antenna taut because the support post was too flimsy. Fairly straight still.
The canopy shows some paint, where I painted the frames from the inside so it's not all white when you look in.

Alright, here's the photoshoot. I took them in a larger size, so I'm posting them differently.

Click for full size! (1600 x 1200)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2734.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2734.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2735.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2735.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2736.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2736.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2737.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2737.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2738.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2738.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2739.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2739.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2730.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2730.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2731.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2731.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2732.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2732.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2733.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2733.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2740.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2740.jpg)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/th_IMG_2729.jpg (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/IMG_2729.jpg)

And here's a video! Turns out the prop makes a very realistic sound when you spin it. It didn't record as well as I hoped, but it still sounds cool. Luckily only my chin made it into the shot.

Dauntless :: MVI_2741.flv video by Gharbad101 - Photobucket (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Gharbad101/Models/Dauntless/?action=view&current=MVI_2741.flv)

Edit:
And wow, Photobucket can do thumbnails for you automatically... oh well, it didn't take long.

redhorse
07-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I love that video! You're right, it does sound pretty good.

cjwalas
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Well done, Kuba! Congratulations! I've never heard a paper model sound so good.
Chris

birder
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Nice work Kuba to get that model looking so good! I like the two part rear canopy, and interior work, really nice! Watch your six for one of Mikes J-planes..:D

Gharbad
07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Those birds are long gone Glen, race day was a couple of weeks back :p

Chris & Jim: Thanks! I really have no idea what did it though. I did notice it's harder to spin now that the canopy is in, maybe some turbulence off of it as you blow. Maybe it's just the solid wood (:rolleyes:) construction?