PDA

View Full Version : OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz - ARADO 196, 1-2/96

B-Manic
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
This is 1:33 scale model printed on long sheets at 4 parts pages per sheet. Including polish text there are about two and a half pages of instructions and diagrams distributed over the inner and outer cover. Designed by Wieslaw Baczkowski, it is hand drawn without any great detail or texture. The colours are even but cartoonish.The paper is similar to blotter paper but stiffer. Fortunately it lacks the granular inclusions of some earlier models.

More to come once the laminated pontoon formers are set . . . I am starting with the pontoons because I have heard from several people that there are major problems with them.

Gharbad
02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
This one should be pretty unique, good luck with it.

B-Manic
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I built one of the pontoons yesterday. All I can say is I am glad I scanned the model before I started cutting.
I'll post a picture later today, it should be good for a laugh. :eek:.
The good news is I think fixing it is within my capability. More to follow . . .

member_3
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hmmm...I just received a copy today. Sounds like I'd better warm up the scanner!

ccoyle
03-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I have a special affinity for the Ar-196. It's one of the very first plastic kits (the old Airfix kit, I believe) I built as a kid with my dad. Looking forward to watching this one.

Cheers!

cjwalas
03-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I almost built this one last year, but someone posted a warning about the floats. Apparently the formers are longer than the skins??
Looking forward to your comments on this one. I still plan on attempting it some day.
Chris

B-Manic
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
So here it is. No need to be kind. I know what it looks like.

In the first shot it does not look too bad from the top. #1 at the tip is the exception at this (or any other) angle.

In the second shot # 2 was my fault, whoops trimmed off a little too much. The black line that starts on the left of #3 and continues all the way to the right tip is where the skins do not cover the former. The problem gets worse the further to the right you go. The fit between the skins also gets worse. #4 shows the skin does not reach the former at all leaving a hole. The problem is the same on both sides.

In the third shot you can see the tip is a single piece that is undersized at the bottom and over sized on top. #5 and #6 show the holes up close and ugly.

I believe that if I reduce the formers by 0.5 - 1.25 mm in height ( depending on location) that it will come together very nicely. The tip or nose piece might be a bit more of a challenge.

Until then . . . cheers

member_3
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
All I see is a float that came into hard contact with a piling while taxiing to moor. While it must be painful for you it will be a great assist to those of us who also own this beast.

shrike
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
If it's any consolation the rest of the airplane should go together reasonably well. Take care with the struts.

Don Boose
03-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I go with the Troll interpretation of the damage.

This is a great little airplane (the original floatplane, that is; sounds like the kit presents a few problems) and I'm glad to see you working on it, Douglas.

Don

B-Manic
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks Don.

I have completed a second float build and I am just trying to decide if it is something I can live with or not.

B-Manic
06-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Well after many frustrated attempts to make the floats on this thing presentable I am throwing in the towel. I still have the 4TP in and hope to have the 7TP finished on time. :(

cjwalas
06-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I've heard nothing but bad news about those floats. Sorry to see you giving up the ghost on this one. Do you think you'll continue at some point or just trash it?
I'm only asking because I do want to attempt this one myself at some point, but not if it's impossible.
Chris

B-Manic
06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I've heard nothing but bad news about those floats. Sorry to see you giving up the ghost on this one. Do you think you'll continue at some point or just trash it?
I'm only asking because I do want to attempt this one myself at some point, but not if it's impossible.
Chris

I think a redesign of the floats is required. The formers are fine the skins not so good. I started on the fuselage and cockpit and encountered many fit problems there as well (formers and skins). For me it is just too frustrating. So it is a dead issue going in the bin.

There are many other kits I would like to build that are less of a hassle. So many models, so little time. It is an interesting aircraft though. I wonder if anyone else has designed it or would like to?

member_3
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Modelik has one and there is also an out of print one by Model Card (Model Kartonowy.) I have not built either one so cannot comment on their quality.

cjwalas
06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I used to have the old Model Card kit, but I think I gave it away years ago. Modelik has one available now.
Chris

B-Manic
06-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys perhaps I'll try out the Modelik version.

rickstef
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Keep in mind that ModelCard and Modelik are the same company

cjwalas
06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen the newer (what's it, four or five years old??) Modelik version, so I don't know if it's simply a re-issue or if it's been completely redone. Anyone have the answer?
Chris