PDA

View Full Version : Office pranking

rickstef
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi All,

I just wanted to share with you, and maybe put a smile on your face, a prank I pulled on one of my co workers yesterday evening.

Al, normally wears a ballcap when he is out in the field doing his job, but yesterday afternoon, forgot to take his cap with him.

To me, that was the sign for me to strike.

According to others, this morning when he came into the office, the reaction was what I expected, eyes rolling, and a good laugh.

And this is not the first time I have pranked someone.

Rick

modelperry
05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Thats as funny as the time I came back from vacation and found a bag of shredded paper on my shelf where some paper cars were previously displayed along with a photo of them being lined up on the paper shredder.

Yeah I knew who the culprit was.....

All my cars were found in a drawer and returned.

Greg

Keds_Girl_Lala
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I tie my managers telephone cord in a knot so he answer it and it swing around and knock all the cups and mugs off his desk. He does not know... shhhhhhhh!

Ashrunner
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
At one of my assignments in the Air Force, my boss was very anal-retentive about certain things. Everything on his desk had its place and if anything was moved even a fraction of an inch, he'd spend several minutes putting it back in the proper place...very much like Monk for those of you making the connection.

Whenever he left to go somewhere, I'd slip into his office and move two or three things, sometimes quite a bit, sometimes slightly, or even swap positions. Then when he returned, I'd position myself at the copy machine where I could see into his office and watch him get things right. Eventually he figured out it was me, but couldn't prove it.

But the best pranks came when I was in his office with him and he would be distracted for a moment, and I would make a quick move of something. Sometimes I would move something, sometimes I wouldn't...but I always had an intentional guilty look on my face, or make an arm movement he'd catch so he'd think I was getting my arm back to my side after doing something.

After I would leave his office, he'd go nuts trying to figure out what I did.

He got even with me though...I got all the dirty details when they came up, but since I never complained, I also got most of the good details 8v)

Darwin
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
You want a real prank? Get an old keyboard, and sprinkle on lots of alfalfa seeds and some water....imagine the panic when the target comes to work and find his computer is now a chia pet.

Rick Thomson
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM
My Warrant Officer (this is back in the 70's when I was in the Canadian Airforce) used to leave his coffee cup on one of the workbenches in the shop all the time. One day I drilled a hole in the bottom, and screwed it to the workbench, then sealed the area around the screw with silicone and filled about an inch of coffee into it. The look on his face when he tried to pick it up on the way by to the break area the next day was priceless. He never did find out who did it which was a good thing...

nikkievix
05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
worst thing i ever did to my boss who to this day probly doesn't know it was me.... was i went under the front of his little volvo and unplugged the harness for the rear lights but added jumper wires for the brake lights..apparently the next day she wasn't to happy about getting a hefty traffic ticket for being blacked out in the back, took the car to her mechanic who pured over the car and couldn't find anything wrong. so one day having lunch and she came out and i said hey kam, whats that hanging down from under your car?.......totaly clueless as to who unplugged her lights ;)

B-Manic
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
No names, no cap tallies but - imagine if you will . . .

The ship's XO returns after an evening ashore in a foriegn port to discover that some joker has inflated a weather ballon fully filling his cabin. He pops the ballon only to discover the baloon also contained about a pound of confetti.

dansls1
05-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Best I ever did was take the ball out of my bosses mouse (we shared an office). It was even funnier because our IT guy sat down at his computer to do something, and was stumped why the mouse wasn't working. I could barely contain the laughing long enough to get off the phone, at which point he was already under the desk checking that the mouse was plugged in. Ended up working better than expected - just against a different target ;)

shrike
05-13-2009, 05:28 PM
I worked in a shop where we got on a pranking spree. It petered out shortly after I welded a co-workers locker shut.

Somewhere we found a package of tiny cracker fireworks. Little things about 2cm long with two strings that explode when the strings are pulled.
We took 20 or so of them and boobytrapped every movable thing on our salesman's desk. Pull out his chair, it went bang. Pick up the phone, it went bang. Move his lamp it went bang. On his desk drawers we got sneaky and daisy chained them together, so that if you opened the drawer at all, it went bang. If you opened it halfway, it went bang. All the way, bang.

The best part was that he never did open all his drawers that day. Two months later he was looking for some old file and we heard >BANG< G&^Dammit! >BANG< Sonovabitch!

<BANG>

lee4752
05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I got a nice hot cup of coffee for my boss when I was stationed in Germany, and superglued it to the workbench. The part where I lost it was when he pulled on it so hard he was left standing with the mug handle in his fist and the full mug still on the bench. The look on his face was priceless.

redhorse
05-13-2009, 08:34 PM
My only coffee prank was long ago when I worked for a freight forwarder. We switched the keyed up sales manager to decaf without his knowledge. He left with headaches around 2:00 for a week or so until we switched him back.

We also gave him a note to call a Mr. Lyon with a phone number. Told him he was looking for air freight quotes to Europe, our specialty. He dutifully called and asked the operator at the Brookfield Zoo to speak to a Mister Lion.

I kind of miss those days, now we just get a bunch mandatory PC training.

Art Deco
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Back when I worked in IT, we loved to play pranks on each other. One time some of my mischevious co-workers spray-painted a sheet of paper flat black, then slipped it between my monitor's screen and the glare guard I had mounted on the front. Took me quite a bit of trouble-shooting to determine the "problem". :)

Maltedfalcon
05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
My most proud pranking momemnt,
I had a girlfriend who went to an all girls college and those girls were partiers, On the weekends. they would all come stagering back to the dorm in the early early morning. There were four floors of rooms with two elevators and on each floor the elevator lobby was decorated uniquely with furniture and a big painting of the number of the floor. I got some friends we arrived about midnight and took everything from the first floor to the 2nd floor everything from the 2nd floor to the third everything from the 3rd to the fourth and then the fourth floor stuff went down to the first.
The piece de resistance was we opened the panel in the elevator and it was just a matter of moving a jumper to tell the button which floor to go to.
We didnt stay to watch the excitement (or get caught) but I understand about 100 drunk girls ended up sleeping in the hallways becuase they could not get into their rooms, people were pounding on doors all night demanding to be let in... My Girlfriend later told me at one point the police had been called in to deal with the ruckus...

Darwin
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Shrike, somehow the best pranks seem to involve welding....mine was welding a buddy's lunchbox to the worktable in welding lab. He had a habit of rushing through cleanup of his personal workstation, then bugging out on a dead run before the general shop cleanup, snatching up the lunchbox with one hand while the other hit the crashbar on the lab door. That day, his feet were what hit the crashbar....it was the last time he escaped without joining in the general shop cleanup.

KCStephens
05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Scotch tape over the speaker on a telephone...When the phone rings...you pick it up, say hello. hello! HELLO - IS ANY ONE THERE!! You can't hear a darn thing...Gets 'em every time :D

greenboots
05-15-2009, 05:48 PM
I entered my boss's name into Microsoft Word's auto text. After typing a lengthy letter to the president of the company he typed his name at the bottom which was instantly converted to read Engelbert Humperdinck. Thankfully he proofread the letter before he sent it.

APA-168
05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
My only coffee prank was long ago when I worked for a freight forwarder. We switched the keyed up sales manager to decaf without his knowledge. He left with headaches around 2:00 for a week or so until we switched him back.

We also gave him a note to call a Mr. Lyon with a phone number. Told him he was looking for air freight quotes to Europe, our specialty. He dutifully called and asked the operator at the Brookfield Zoo to speak to a Mister Lion.

I kind of miss those days, now we just get a bunch mandatory PC training.

Jim, that second story made me laugh to tears! :D

Phil
05-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Are you all that bored with work? Maybe try...I don't know...working?
LOL

Rick Thomson
05-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Are you all that bored with work? Maybe try...I don't know...working?
LOL

Work is the curse of the drinking class...

Phil
05-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Touche' Rick!

cdavenport
05-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Great thread. I have two:

1. As a youngster in the 60's my family traveled to see my aunt and cousin in Cherry Hill, NJ. On the way my father, a lover of practical jokes, stopped and purchased some cracker balls, small, brightly colored balls that exploded harmlessly when stepped on or thrown on the ground. My cousin lived on the 13th floor of an apartment building. Amidst our other shenanigans, we spent the better part of of a half hour driving the milk delivery man down below nuts as we threw these little things off the balcony. We were careful not to hit the poor guy, but his actions were like something out of Candid Camera or America's Funniest Home Videos. The poor guy would jump up and down in fright, whipping around trying to see where these explosions were coming from. He finally figured us out likely because we were laughing like hyenas!

2. We used to have some fun with new co-pilots on the KC-135 Stratotanker. Airborne, it was his job to monitor the engine operating parameters such as EGT (exhaust gas temp), oil pressure, and rpm. It just so happened that the throttle control cables ran under the floor next to the boom operator's seat who sat a good six feet behind the pilots. The cables were accessible through a small inspection hatch, so while the co-pilot was busy with other tasks, the boom operator would pull one or two cables and gradually slow the engines. The co-pilot would eventually notice this, readjust the throttles only to find them out of alignment several minutes later.

Meanwhile, the rest of us in the crew compartment would have a hearty laugh at his expense and frustration. The smart co-pilots caught on quickly. But the story goes that one hapless fellow in our squadron spent the whole 30 day deployment to the Pacific theatre completely in the dark as to what was being done to him. To add insult to injury, the pilot in command allowed the poor sucker to submit a maintenance write-up, which let the whole maintenance organization in on the joke!

Ahh, the things we do to combat boredom!

Ron Caudillo
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
We had this game we started when I was in the Air Force. It was our version of "Killer", where the names of all participants are placed in hat and the game moderator draws out names and gives that name in secret to a participant. The object of the game is to "kill" the guy whose name you are given and then take the victims assignment and "kill" them and so on until only one guy remains. Everyone will have a name as a "kill" assignment and everyone is an assignment for their "killer". If you turned the tables and shot your "killer", then the game master would reassign you in secret to another killer. Our shop chief who loved to prank as much as the rest of us was the gamemaster.

We used those plastic disk-type pistols to stalk and kill our victim. The only real rule was that we were not allowed to play the game at work or within 100 feet of our dispatch hangar. It was a great time and paranoia ran deep because you never knew who was coming after you or when a confrontation would take place. We had shootouts in the dormitory, the mall, parking lots, etc. Room mates and family members were bribed to set up a "kill".

Even though we were banned from using the toy guns at work, everyone always kept one on their body because of the paranoia. We played a few rounds and the paranoia got so bad that it finally culminated in an all out shoot-em up at work in our shop chief's office (and he started it!). There must have been a thousand disks flying or littered about the office and it carried on for a good 20 minutes or so.

After that, the guns were all confiscated, the office thououghly cleaned and the guns and ammo thrown away. It was a great laugh for all, releasing tension and bonding all in that special way only the military can. We were never allowed to play again however.

Best Regards,

cdavenport
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
After that, the guns were all confiscated, the office thououghly cleaned and the guns and ammo thrown away. It was a great laugh for all, releasing tension and bonding all in that special way only the military can. We were never allowed to play again however.

Well, that sucks! Who did the confiscating? From what you said, it sounds as if you worked maintenance or base ops? I flew KC-135s and had a ball doing it for 20 years.

Regards

Maltedfalcon
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Thats Tag!
we played Tag at school, using guns with rubber darts. Very Fun!

Texman
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Way back, at an unnamed AFB, we called it assassin. Yup, fun, especially on Fri/Sat
nights after a few pints.

Ray

Ron Caudillo
05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I was in Maintenance. B-52 missile launch systems along with the SRAM (Short Range Attack Missile AGM-69A), ALCM (Air-Launched Cruise Missile AGM-86B), and the ACM (Advanced Cruise Missile AGM-129). I also worked with the GLCM (Ground-Launched Cruise Missile- Air Force version of the Tomahawk).

We got the rules from the Assassin game pamphlet.

The shop chief confiscated the guns but made it up with a shop party afterwards! We didn't care, just enjoying the comraderie!

Best Regards,

Ashrunner
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
While assigned to Aviano in the mid-70s, the barracks I lived in, was selected by the Inspector General team to assist in an Operational Readiness Inspection. The day the ORI started, one of the members of the team came to our dayroom and asked everyone to assist with a terrorist/hostage scenario.

Before I go on, one needs to understand Aviano AB. It is divided into five major parts spread around and in the town of Aviano, Italy. Area 1 was some barracks, but also the BX, Commissary, Bowling Alley, Clubs...things like that. Area 2 was the primary barracks area. Areas 1 and 2 were next to each other separated by one of the main roads in town. Area 3 was personnel offices located just outside of town, Area 4 was the flightline area, at that time about a mile from town and Area 5 was a supply depot located at the edge of town. The base was originally built by the Germans during WWII.

For the ORI scenario, Area 1 where our barracks was located, was to be "taken over by terrorists." The base security police anti-terrorist team was to be called in and evaluated as to how they handled the situation. The ORI guy had asked us to get water pistols, or anything that looked like a weapon and use it for the exercise. The planned take-over was set for 10 am the following day. Well, our barracks had been playing our own version of "Assassin" but we used starter pistols which were readily available in town. So we were ready for the exercise when it started on time with our "planned" take-over. Our plan called for taking over the Commissary near the only vehicle entrance to the base, holding the bridge which allowed access to portions of Area 1 away from the entrance, and stopping movement in and around the base exchange and cafeteria area, where a pedestrian entrance was located.

So, using our starter pistols, we fanned out to our assigned spots and "took over." We had guys run into the commissary firing their starter pistols, yelling "This is an exercise for the ORI." and then starting to play their part. We also had a person on top of the commissary holding hostage, anyone wanting to enter or leave the building. At 10 am, the exercise was on. The security police knew there would be an exercise of this type sometime during the ORI, but they didn't know when or where, or what the circumstances would be.

When the call went to the Security Police Desk about the terrorist take-over, they dispatched their anti-terrorist unit, along with the base commander. When they arrived at Area 1, the unit formed a blockade of gate and then lined up in front of their vehicles in riot gear. The base commander grabbed a bullhorn and stepped out in front of line and started to say something about giving up. He never finished what he was saying, as the people holding the bridge and the person on top of the commissary opened fire with their starter pistols.

The base commander and every one of the riot gear clad security police dove for cover behind their vehicles. About the same time, our "extra" terrorists began flanking the gate area to assist the five people holding the bridge and commissary. Together, those playing terrorists held the anti-terrorist unit of Aviano AB at bay for more than an hour before the word was sent out that the exercise was completed. Needless to say, the unit failed that portion of the inspection. The base commander was so miffed, that after recognizing who the people were who played the terrorist, he was going to reprimand all of us until the IG stepped in and told him we were doing what he asked us to do and gave us high marks for our participation.

That night, we celebrated in the barracks and the next day, continued our version of "Assassin." Oh...my job during the exercise was to photographically document the exercise for the ORI team.

cdavenport
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
OMG, Ashrunner! That story beats them all! I'll bet that base commander kept his eyes on you all just looking for some screw-up so he could sic the dogs on you later on.

I know too well those high-ranking types, self-serving bastards who wouldn't think twice about selling their mothers into slavery. Not all of course. I knew some first rate CCs. It just seems that the nasty ones stick out in my mind. Here's a funny twist; at my school, one of my peers has a brother who was my Wing CC when I was stationed at Blytheville, AFB, AR. Now, ain't that a small world?

I had one Wing CC try to put the screws to me at a morning briefing. Fortunately, I am quick on my feet and full of BS. So, I was able to talk my way out of it with my skin intact.

Ashrunner
05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
A couple of days after the ORI completed, I was at the base commander's office to interview him on an unrelated article for the paper. About halfway through the interview, he started asking me questions about how our barracks got involved in the exercise. I told him the entire story and mentioned it was just a coincidence that we had that barracks game of "Assassin" going at the time.

He looked at me, shook his head and then said, "You have no idea what I thought when that first round went off." He then began explaining some of the things that were going through his mind, but in the end came to the conclusion that the exercise evaluators had done a great job setting up the exercise.

We then had a few moments of laughter as he told me of some of the comments coming from the security police. In the end, the anti-terrorist team got a lot more training.

About six months later, there was a reevaluation exercise conducted. My barracks was again tasked to play the terrorists. This time, our job was to infiltrate the flightline area of the base and set simulated explosives in certain areas.

We developed a two-prong attack. One team would attempt infiltration near the main gate area, and the other team would make their attack 15 minutes later about a half mile down the fence line from the gate. I was on the gate attack team. There was eight of us on each team and when my team made our assault, we had people running every which way and distracted enough of the security forces that the second assault team was able to penetrate the base. However, we were all captured before any of our simulated explosives could be planted.

I have a series of interesting slides the base photographer took of me as I was being apprehended. Those were definitely fun days.

cdavenport
05-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, it sounds as if you had one of the good guys as base CC. It does sound as if you had a rollicking good time. You didn't mention which base you were at. Was it Stateside or overseas?

Do you ever miss it? I sometimes miss the TDYs which meant seeing a new part of the world. There was some fun there!

Ashrunner
05-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, it sounds as if you had one of the good guys as base CC. It does sound as if you had a rollicking good time. You didn't mention which base you were at. Was it Stateside or overseas?

Do you ever miss it? I sometimes miss the TDYs which meant seeing a new part of the world. There was some fun there!

The two incidents above occurred at Aviano AB, Italy in either 1977 or 1978. Great assignment. My job as newspaper editor gave me the opportunity to do a lot of different jobs in the name of 'journalistic research.' I did things like learn how to disarm a Soviet type explosive round, learned how to read weather radar, how fuels people spent their day (which wasn't hard because I did that job before I because a Public Affairs trooper) and walked into the middle of a 1,000 gallon JP-4 fire while wearing 'bunkers' and holding and aqueous foaming fire hose (or something like that) and put out the fire. Great place and great job.

Miss it? I've been retired for going on 18 years now and not a day goes by that I don't think about those days. I volunteered for every crappy detail that came our way, knowing it would give me first stab at the next TDY. And I never turned one down. My best assignment for TDY was at the 375th Aeromedical Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Illinois. I had blanket world-wide TDY orders. Many a day I would get notified of a requirement for a PA troop, and I'd be gone in less than an hour.

I never was stationed anywhere I didn't like, but was often stationed with people I didn't like.

cdavenport
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I never was stationed anywhere I didn't like, but was often stationed with people I didn't like.

Well, I understand that. The only place I really did not enjoy to its fullest was Blytheville, AR, tucked right into the armpit of the Mississippi River. We used to call it Minot South. But, I met my best friend ever there and have remained best friends ever since.

I retired 17 years ago and seems like yesterday. Like you, I had my bags packed. In fact, I lived out of one for 12 years of active flying in 135-type aircraft. Great TDY's and life influencing experiences.

Nice to know ya, Ashrunner.