PDA

View Full Version : XB-70 Design and Build

Pages : [1] 2

kenlwest
06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
To all,

I have just been banned from Zealot. I told Sanjay and MaicoShark to reconsider their position and reinstate Chris Gutzmer or I would leave Zealot.

I was immediately banned along with my postings.

Anyway, I will continue the build here.

I finished the landing gear trucks this morning. Here is a picture to show their relative size to the aircraft.

Ken

billy.leliveld
06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Ken,
Sorry to hear it happened to you too..

If there's anything lost or you need old links or pics, just let me know,

Gixergs
06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Welcome to what has been pointed out to me, HOME.

shrike
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Welcome Ken,
This project was one of the few reasons I've had for visiting over there.

I just got banned there too, so I'm glad it's here.
Any hope of reconstructing earlier parts of the thread with the pictures if not all the text?

rickstef
06-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Or give us the Cliff notes version?

peter taft
06-14-2009, 02:13 PM
To all,

I have just been banned from Zealot. I told Sanjay and MaicoShark to reconsider their position and reinstate Chris Gutzmer or I would leave Zealot.

I was immediately banned along with my postings.

Anyway, I will continue the build here.

I finished the landing gear trucks this morning. Here is a picture to show their relative size to the aircraft.

Ken

Nice to have you with us friend ! i put a thread in the complaints and some new ones here and there with good subscibers to the exodus.... and whoosh ! Sanjai visited my profile, the pm's they went so too did all the parts of the COMPLAINTS forum and now we are all here has a big contented cat that's got the cream :)

kenlwest
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
To all,

I still have most of the pictures on my computer. HOPEFULLY, Beavis & Butthead currently running Zealot into the ground will not delete the former thread. I can't believe they would be that stupid, but then again....

If they decide to delete it, I will try and reconstruct the story as best I can here. I believe it would be very helpful as people build the Valkyrie in the near future.

Sorry to all for the inconvenience, but I had to stand up on this one. These guys literally made me ill. Obviously, they have absolutely NO interest in our hobby; only $$$... What a shame.

Ken

bukkyball
06-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone guess i'll be lurking here in future.

Ken the model is looking so good that i'm starting to think that you are polish.

I'ts a shame about Zealot, but it's the members that make a forum.

Rick Thomson
06-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Well I just pulled the pin there too. Up until I am officially banned, I think I will amuse myself by hitting the report button for the sharks posts, and report them as posted by a twit...

kenlwest
06-14-2009, 02:39 PM
I just checked, and the Valkyrie thread still miraculously survives.

Does somebody know how to copy that thread over here in its entirety? I have seen it done before.

If someone can do that for me, and it is successful, I can then have Rick remove this thread and we can go from there.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

SJPONeill
06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Probably the easiest way may be for someone from Outer Mongolia who may have been missed in the banning blitz to copy the thread over page by page and convert it to a PDF file that could be added to the library. To try to copy over the old thread as a thread would probably at least as much work removing all the broken links etc.

Bengt Fredén
06-14-2009, 04:49 PM
No problem if you can´t find all your past build photos, Ken,

I have saved most of them on my drive! So, if you need any, just shout.

Good luck with the continued thread here - I will follow it just as closely over here. Seems like this will be the new really serious card modeler´s forum from now on . . .
I can´t believe they banned you from Zealot - what a loss for them.

All the best,
Bengt :rolleyes:

lancer525
06-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I wish I knew how to save an entire thread, but I don't. And my internet connection isn't too much faster than 56Kdialup, so I can't copy it very well either.

Ken, I am so sorry for what happened to you. But I'm supremely relieved that you're here.

After I make a few notations on what I did on my 1/4 scale Mercury build, I'm gone too.

billy.leliveld
06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Realy happy to see you here Bengt :p

rutzes
06-14-2009, 05:34 PM
As on this other forum, I'll follow here as well. To be honest: your construction threads were the only reason to visit the other place.

Old Rutz

Stev0
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
To all,

I have just been banned from Zealot.

This is just going from strange to twisted.

Texman
06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
You have no idea Steve.

zot
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Where ever you post...I'll follow. Good to have you here.

willygoat
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Well Ken, having seen just that one shot of the XB-70, I can guarantee you will have a sale when ever and where ever it's sold! To heck with the other guys. We love ya here!!!!!:D

jagolden01
06-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Ken, have been following your amazing design/build of this special aircraft and will surely purchase when released.

dansls1
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
To all,

I have just been banned from Zealot. ...
Ken

Interestingly I'll pretty much never find out if I am or not, because the only reason I was going there was to check progress on this design / build ;)
Good to see it continue here.

Stev0
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Ken ... I have the whole thread as a PDF if you want it.

Please continue on with building this plane of epic proportions.

shrike
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Minimum 10 characters

Retired_for_now
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd say we're over the minimum. Way more "characters" than that on the site I'd wager.

Yogi

cgutzmer
06-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Thanks for sticking up for me buddy :) - getting caught up with stuff now!

Copying threads over isnt too hard so long as the pics are in the threads with [img] tags. You can just highlight the contents of a post and paste into the new post here :) I wonder if my old ones still exist :)
Chris

jagolden01
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Ken, the landing trucks look fantastic.
I do tend to build "in-flight" configurations, but this might sway me.

n810
06-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Glad to see the build over here ken!

kenlwest
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
To all,

The events of the past couple of days have inspired me to continue this worthy project with even more energy. Also, I want to thank Rick and the rest of Papermodelers for their patience and welcoming atmosphere as we merge into one happy family as they say.

Well, the insanity continues with the build of the main landing gears. As you can see from the pictures below, these are quite detailed, and believe it or not, this is the "simplified" version.

Several people have commented that they will be building the in-flight version for simplicity, and that's quite alright. But, I hope you will at least consider building everything as this particular aircraft deserves a good represenation - long overdue.

Enjoy the pics!

Ken

rickstef
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Ken,

What is the scale of this graceful bird?

kenlwest
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Rick,

The model is 1/48 scale and it is over 4 feet long! At Zealot, I started the project with a survey asking for a consensus on scale. Basically, (like most aircraft models) 1/48 scale is about the smallest scale possible in paper and still provide serious detail; particularly in the cockpit.

For those folks who may not be familiar with this project, StevO was kind enough to preserve the design and build thread from Zealot before someone obliterated it today :). It is in PDF format. Rick, if you like, we can post it in the download section for reference. This would save disk space.

Let me know your thoughts...

Ken

rickstef
06-15-2009, 06:58 PM
go for the upload, and let me know if you run into any problems

dhanners
06-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but given what Ken has contributed to the hobby -- in a relatively short time, no less -- you really have to wonder about any forum that would ban him. It's biting the hand that feeds you. Or at least the hand that has designed some really wonderful models....

lancer525
06-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree with you David... I was going to post something there to the effect:

Here we have people with small minds and big egos who prove the Acton Dictum with their every move.

For those of you who may not know what the Acton Dictum is:

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

However, I decided to not worry about it, and I'm just going to tie up a couple of loose ends, and fade away. Heck, I think it would be safe to say that I've contributed a little (a very little) to this hobby with my Jupiter/DIRECT models. I don't want to be in any place that would do something like this to a guy like Ken. If it could be done to him, then none of us are safe. That's totalitarianism at its ugliest, IMHO.

Stev0
06-16-2009, 01:09 AM
How big did you say the craft would have been if it was designed for 1:33???

SJPONeill
06-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Add on another couple of feet (and another wing on the house!!)

kenlwest
06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I just uploaded the "design and build" thread for the XB-Valkyrie that was started on Zealot. You can find it in the download section.

Thank you StevO! :)

Ken

kenlwest
06-16-2009, 06:01 PM
To my fellow paper model enthusiests!

Tonight, I completed the RH landing gear as shown in the pics below.

The first picture illustrates that many tools can be used in many different ways. Here, I am using my tweezers to hold some cardboard flaps in place (under pressure) so that a good bond happens in this most important joint. This little joint carries alot of weight and I don't want it to fail.

BTW, there are hydraulic cylinders to be added yet. Now, on to the nose gear!

STAY TUNED!!

Ken

John Bowden
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Crap! I go away for a few days and all heck breaks loose.

I don't want to know what happened at Zealot but I'm sure glad everyone has a place to go to! Yeah! Thanks Jason!

Ken glad your are here and continuing the XB-70.........

john

kenlwest
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
To all,

Tonight, I couldn't help myself.... I inserted the landing gears into the pre-made holes in the LG wells. I wanted to see what it looked like!

Attached are some pictures. Because of the size of this model, and the closeup of the camera, the pictures almost look as though you were photographing the real thing.

Anyway, the landing gears are plenty strong enough to support the Valkyrie. :)

Ken

member_3
06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Incredibly impressive design and build!

zot
06-17-2009, 07:22 PM
To say that this one will be worth the wait is an extreme understatement at best. This is incredible Ken.

Zathros
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
XB 70 is one of my favorite planes and you are doing it a great justice. My wife would kill me if I built a 4 foot model, so I build vicariously through your build. Great job!!

smyfe
06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Ken the undercart is massively impressive, or have you been photoshoping
again:p, its a good job the wheels aren't black yet, i thought it was the real thing:eek:
best wishes
Mick

shrike
06-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Ken the undercart is massively impressive, or have you been photoshoping
again:p, its a good job the wheels aren't black yet, i thought it was the real thing:eek:
best wishes
Mick

It's better than you think. The tyres weren't black on the original, they were a silvery grey aluminium impregnated high temp rubber.

Rick Thomson
06-18-2009, 08:04 AM
This is so going to be on my gottahave list.

Bionic Modeler
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Rick,

For those folks who may not be familiar with this project, StevO was kind enough to preserve the design and build thread from Zealot before someone obliterated it today :). It is in PDF format. Rick, if you like, we can post it in the download section for reference. This would save disk space.

Let me know your thoughts...

Ken

There is a crash and burn mode over there.

Ashrunner
06-20-2009, 02:28 AM
Ken

Reference your XB-70 design. Are you designing this 1/48 scale model to be printed out on 8.5x11 cardstock?

kenlwest
06-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Ashrunner,

The model was designed in 1/48 and to be printed out on 110lb 8.5x11 paper.

It's not very often that you can print out a 4 foot long paper aircraft (using half a ream of paper), and use no ink! Even the wheels aren't black.

Ken

kenlwest
06-20-2009, 07:12 AM
To all,

A look ahead:

Currently, I am printing out and building the nose gear. To be posted this afternoon.

This bird is a little butt-heavy and will not sit on its 3 legs. But, (no pun intended), the Valkyrie has a very long neck and nose that may balance it out without the need for adding weight. (see blue-paper prototype pictures below)

After the nose gear, I will need to add the rear folding wingtips to establish the final weight at the rear. Then I will build the front half. This way I can add any weight needed and determine where to package it.

Ken

rutzes
06-20-2009, 08:08 AM
This is great news!

When you arrange the parts on the sheets, please do this in a way that they may be printed on both letter and A4 (297 x 210mm minus border [approx. 287 x 200mm]) format.

It's great that you decided to continue your construction and build report here.

Thanks a lot,

Old Rutz

cgutzmer
06-20-2009, 08:16 AM
FOUR FEET!!! Holy cow :) gonna be a beast :)
Chris

kenlwest
06-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Old Rutz,

Since A4 is "bigger" than 8.5x11, there is no problem with fitting the graphics. I think if you print it out on A4 while specifying "maintain scale", it should print actual scale. If this isn't correct, then I'll do whatever is needed to get it to work for you. There are probably more people needing the A4 size than the 8.5x11.

Ken

kenlwest
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Chris,

Yes, this is going to be a "beast".

The problem is, if I don't hurry up and get this finished so I can get some work done around the house, I'm going to be living with one!

Ken

rutzes
06-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Ken,

please don't get me wrong but letter size is ca. 28 x 21.6 cm, it is broader than A4. This is why I was referring to a width of 200mm (7.9 inch)to ensure a good fit for both paper formats.

I'm waiting for your beast ;-)

Old Rutz

rickstef
06-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Ken,

the differences between the two sheet sizes, are not much

Letter = 8.5x11 inches
A4 = 8.29x11.69 inches

there is a size that is suggested that would fit both sheets, as a maximum.
somewhere around 7.5x10.5

this is just offered as a suggestion

Rick

kenlwest
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
My pages are designed in Corel using an 8.5x11 format.

Some of the graphics just barely fit. This will require a re-arranging of the parts on pages. If I recall correctly, some of the fuselage skin parts just barely fit, but I cannot recall in which direction; width or height. I'll wait until I number the pages and get everything organized - then I'll look into rearrangement to accomodate A4.

Ken

SJPONeill
06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
A4 is the standard here but it is easy enough to get a ream of a custom size like Letter from print shops etc...the big thing is that bith sizes still work through the same desktop printer....

nosports
06-21-2009, 03:14 AM
Ken,

the differences between the two sheet sizes, are not much

Letter = 8.5x11 inches
A4 = 8.29x11.69 inches

there is a size that is suggested that would fit both sheets, as a maximum.
somewhere around 7.5x10.5

I have not checked the measurements, but i let my models on such pages, so they will fit both sides of the atlantik :-)

lancer525
06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I just uploaded the "design and build" thread for the XB-Valkyrie that was started on Zealot. You can find it in the download section.

Thank you StevO! :)

Ken

Is there ANY way at all that it can be anything else other than a RAR file?

I have never, not once, ever been able to work with any RAR file, to the point that I've actually lost a whole computer to a crash involving one.

Therefore, I won't fool with them at all.

Anything but RAR?

dansls1
06-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Is there ANY way at all that it can be anything else other than a RAR file?

I have never, not once, ever been able to work with any RAR file, to the point that I've actually lost a whole computer to a crash involving one.

Therefore, I won't fool with them at all.

Anything but RAR?

I converted it to a .zip and uploaded a second version. Hope it helps ;)

lancer525
06-22-2009, 04:58 AM
:D
Awesome!

Thanks!!

Stev0
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I can't see how a rar file can damage your computer. If anything it would be infected files inside a computer and that could be any compressed file zip, lzh, tar, ace...

I have been using winrar for over 12 years.

cgutzmer
06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Its quite possible the application he is using to extract the .rar is infected with something or is corrupt. I use winrar almost exclusively. May I ask what app you are using? Otherwise I would be happy to download it for you and repack it as a .zip and email it to ya. Of course it would be better to try winrar first so you know it can be done ;) download a new copy if thats what you are using now!
Chris

kenlwest
06-22-2009, 05:55 PM
To all,

Tonight, I cut out and glued one of the nose wheels together.

A couple of side notes: The nosegear wheels were the same diameter as the main gear wheels. HOWEVER, the wheels have a different internal pattern as shown in the last picture.

If you plan to build this model, remember this: A sharpie marker has the exact same diameter as the inside holes of the wheel discs! Not planned that way, but it really helps keep the donuts concentric!

Ken

Stev0
06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I make a cylinder from card stock the right diameter and reinforce it so that I can use it the same way you did with the marker.

Retired_for_now
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm still amazed every time I look at your craftmanship and detail work.

Yogi (cross-eyed builder)

peter taft
06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
This guy is the DOGS B""""""S in this field... Very, very nice work matey :D

Bengt Fredén
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Ken,

It is wonderful that you are continuing your construction thread over here at Paper Modelers. That prototype nose wheel assembly is a really stunning piece of work. Spot on! Perhaps the tires could be painted in light gray or silver color, for added realism?

I was thinking about the post you wrote about how to arrange the parts on the Letter/ A4 sheets. When you do, and if it is possible, you might want to try to arrange the parts according to the grain direction of the paper (lengthwise), for easy shaping, rolling and folding, especially with the thinner fuselage and nose parts, that are supposed to be rolled into narrow tubes.

Here´s another idea; could you include the markings for the other XB-70 (tail fins, wings, etc), so that both airplanes could be built? If that takes up too much space, perhaps just a sheet with the actual typography, for careful inserting into the parts - if you cut THROUGH to the underlying part, it shouldn´t prove to be to difficult to make it virtually seamless, especially if you spray-glue both parts onto a piece of flat cardstock. This enables many possibilities for modelers wanting to create dioramas or displays with either or both of the planes.

As I have written somewhere before, I still favor a highly detailed cockpit/ flight deck, with a clear plastic canopy, or cockpit windows (perhaps shaded or toned ones), and the ejection seat assemblies with the hatches above (removable?).

If you could also indicate in the instructions where the landing lights/ spotlights/ or lamps are to be situated, this could also be an exciting option for a runway display of a landed XB-70 (at night) - a model with tiny LED lights and battery operation.

Keep up the fantastic work, Ken!

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm :rolleyes:

PS. Concerning those RAR files - no problem for me on my eMac (OS X ver. 10.5.6.) nowadays - I use the 'UnRarX 2.2' freeware download, which automatically extracts the files to PDFs (or JPGs), if you drop them into the open text window of the software on your desktop - easy as pie!

kenlwest
06-24-2009, 06:29 PM
To all,

A little progress to show tonight...

The nosegear is a little tricky because the strut does not rest on the centerline of the wheels. The wheels are mounted rearward of the strut.

I designed an axle reciever that takes .125 diameter wood rod for both the vertical strut and the horizontal axle. That's what you see in the first 2 pictures.

For the paper purists, the wooden parts will be provided as rolled paper in the kit. But I am lazy, and I am not a purist, so I cheated and used wood dowels.

Ken

kenlwest
06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Bengt,

I have read several times that paper has a "grain". However, I don't give this too much thought and here is why:

Some printers produce skewed plots - circles are printed as ellipses, squares as rectangles etc. Of course, this is not perceptable to a casual observation, especially on smaller parts. I have noticed this however on larger parts, and this is why I always try to arrange the parts so that they are all oriented lengthwise the same - so that the printer bias will be consistant throughout the model. The worst thing you can do, is print a fuselage section in one direction, and then the next section is printed 90 degrees from it. Amazingly, the sections do not mate up exactly.

I hope that makes sense, and of course, not all printers exhibit this bias. I believe it is because the paper is stretched over a roller as it is printed, and influences the image... just a theory!

Ken

kenlwest
06-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Bengt,

I forgot to address the other suggestion regarding alternative markings for Valkyrie #2.

That would be easy enough to do, but believe it or not, the geometry of these 2 aircraft were not the same. Valkyrie #2 had more dihedral than #1. I could provide these markings, but I feel that would be kind of disceptionary even though most people wouldn't know the difference.

I'll see if I can dig up 2 rear-view pictures that illustrate the differences.

Ken

Moshe
06-24-2009, 11:48 PM
To all,

For the paper purists, the wooden parts will be provided as rolled paper in the kit. But I am lazy, and I am not a purist, so I cheated and used wood dowels.

Ken

Is there a formula that helps to figure out the length of the pre-rolled side of the tube (not the length of the completed tube) in r4elation to the diameter of the completed tube and the paper thickness?

Moshe

Barry
06-25-2009, 05:17 AM
I have no idea Moshe but the easy way is to download Gremir's Siatki 1.0.1 it's free.

jagolden01
06-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Is there a formula that helps to figure out the length of the pre-rolled side of the tube (not the length of the completed tube) in r4elation to the diameter of the completed tube and the paper thickness?

Moshe

Moshe, I use a plug-in for Illustrator called CADTools from Hot Door software.
Very handy but expensive.

I can draw a circle and it tells me the "length" around it.
It can tell me the length of a wavy or curved line as if it were laid flat.
Dimension too.

Moshe
06-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the quick answers. But just in case I was not clear, I prepared my question in an image. Is there a formula to get the length of the red line, if we know its thickness and the diameter of the tube? How the various CAD programs do it?

Thanks, Moshe

legion
06-25-2009, 06:07 AM
Cad programs measure the length of the edge, last time i checked.

kenlwest
06-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Moshe,

That's an excellent question. I have worked with some of the most powerful CAD systems on Earth, and I have never seen an operator that calculates the length of rolled paper. Technically, you could use CAD to measure the "length of line", but you would have to create a CAD model of the rolled paper first. Perhaps an operator that creates a coiled spring?

My technique is to roll the paper to the desired diameter, then unroll it and measure. That's probably the way the Egyptians did it, but some techniques are timeless.

Ken

Moshe
06-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Moshe,

My technique is to roll the paper to the desired diameter, then unroll it and measure. That's probably the way the Egyptians did it, but some techniques are timeless.

Ken

Thanks, Ken.

Barry
06-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Sorry misunderstood Moshe a calculated strip roll is produced by the Licensed version of Siatki and it works very well. I don't suppose Mike would mind if I ran you a single sample off. You need to know the thickness of the paper.

Moshe
06-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Barry, No rush. I was just curious because I have a few aircraft kits with rolled tubes for wheel struts. I have one ship to finish and than another ship and 2-3 vehicles before I go back to building aircrafts.

Moshe

Lex
06-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Simple...
Archimedes' Spiral -- from Wolfram MathWorld (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArchimedesSpiral.html)
It's the total length of the curve you want... I'm sure that approximates the actual situation well enough.

Moshe
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Simple...
I'm only a paper modeler, not a space travel scientist :confused: :D
Thanks, anyway.

Moshe

davelant
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm only a paper modeler, not a space travel scientist :confused: :D
Thanks, anyway.

Moshe

Moshe:

Try this. The equation that Lex references can be approximated if the diameter of the tube is several times the thickness of the paper, or if you have to make several revolutions to wrap the tube.

Let "s" be the length you want, "d" the diameter of the finished tube, and "t" the thickness of the paper, **2 means "squared"

s= 0.25*pi*t*((1+(d/t))**2)

So, if paper is 0.1 millimeter thick, and tube is to be 3 millimeters in diameter, I would estimate the length of the paper as 75.5 millimeters. This assumes the tube is wrapped very tightly, with no air or core in the center.

Let me know if this works practically.

(Lex, your degree is fresher than mine, I'd appreciate a check. I assumed that the square root of 1 plus theta squared is theta, and natural log theta is negligible compared to theta squared, which is quite close if the tube spiral is 3 or more revolutions.)

I wish I were a space travel scientist. I am only a physicist who learned to compute with logarithm tables and slide rules.

Moshe
06-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Moshe:

I wish I were a space travel scientist. I am only a physicist who learned to compute with logarithm tables and slide rules.

Hey, I remember those :D My brother which is three years older than me, had such a slide ruler, and I used the logarithm tables very little.

I do my space travel in the inner space ;)

Moshe

Nemesis7485
07-01-2009, 07:59 AM
*Scratches his head* :confused:

Golden Bear
07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
In Rhino I can draw the spiral with allowance for paper width, project it to make the strip and then unroll the strip. You would probably get a pretty good approximation by calculating it as an appropriate number of nested circles. Hmm. Maybe I'll test that.

Back in an hour or so with that. Some tasks to complete first.

Carl

Golden Bear
07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
OK, I generated a spiral. I design in printer points, 600 dpi. Thus a mm is 23.62 points. I find that 8 points usually gives me a good approximation of card thickness (Staples/Wausau bright white).

The spiral has a start diameter of 8 and an end diameter of 88 with 10 turns. Thus if I make any radial cut it crosses 10 turns.

In Rhino it seems that my spiral needs to have a vertical dimension also (looks like a tornado). So after creating it I projected it onto a flat surface and measured the length. I also measured the gaps between spirals to make certain that it came out correctly.

Then I went into Excel and calculated the circumferences of 10 circles from 16 to 160 points in diameter.

Rhino measured = 3017.452
Calculated circles = 2764.599

The difference is 252.8528 or 8.4% of 3017.452.

I don't know whether fiddling with the circle diameters would improve the approximation since I quit at this point.

Carl

kenlwest
07-01-2009, 01:43 PM
It's much easier to just roll the appropriate thickness paper to the desired diameter - then unroll it and measure!

No matter how accurate the calculation is in pure math to the 6th decimal point, there are too many variables in the actual build to be worth the effort. First, the thickness of the chosen paper will vary by brand, and how tight the initial roll is will determine the final diameter. In most cases, the builder will need to unroll and trim as necessary. I have never rolled a cylinder yet and had it come out exactly as the designer intended - including my own designs.

Ken

nosports
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
in my models i make it always a larger strip which is to rolled.
Besides is a circle with the needed diameter.

So the builder has to roll the strip and cut the excess-paper to get the correct diamater.

I do this because i don't know which paper the builder is using.
Also i don't know how thight the first revolvings of the particular build are.

So this method spares me some over exactiness and the build is better, because the Diameter is always the correct, if it is not correct so i am not guilty :D

Bengt Fredén
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi again, Ken,

Thanks for the replies. I have also noticed that with some files (mostly PDFs, although I always see to it that I have the latest version), round shapes are sometimes represented as jagged forms with 10-20 edges or so.
However, I have never (so far, that is) seen that my printer produces a 'skewed' shape. This is interesting. I think that it might sometimes be attributed to the 'scale to size' phenomenon, where the printer 'stretches' a file to try to conform it to the right paper size (Letter size or Europan A4, for example). I always decide on a percentage of scale, and I think this is a guarrantee that you will have an image that is not distorted in any way.

The grain in some papers may present very big problems, though - I have experienced some cardstock (photopaper) that cracks or breaks unevenly, when I try to gently roll or shape it to narrow cylinders. Toi overcome this problem, I sometimes cut out the part and place it another document and turn that document to 'landscape' orientation, to have the grain in the paper run the other way. It makes a world of difference in some cases, when you want a really smooth leading edge on a wing or a smooth round fuselage in an airplane model. Rob Carleen (in Pensacola, US) has written about this in a very interesting article on card modeling, that I think is still available at Zealot.com (or rather the former, better forum, Cardmodels.net).

Keep up the good work, Ken,
I´d love to see some comparative shots of the #1 and #2 Valkyrie versions, and their differing wing dihedrals. Thanks!

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt :)

PS. I have also been banned and excommunicated from Zealot now, by the new dictator 'Maico Shark':mad:. Good riddens. I say! This guy seems to have some really serious issues. I can only hope that more serious card modelers discover this interesting and tolerant discussion forum.

kenlwest
07-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Bengt,

I have been wanting to illustrate the differences between aircraft 1 & 2, so your post reminds me...

There are 3 immediate ways to tell the difference:

1. Aircraft #2 had a chin that was painted black,

2. The tail numbers were obviously different, and

3. Aircraft # 2 had a positive dihedral.

The dihedral is the major difference that would impact a second version of the model.

The first 3 pictures show the dihedral for AC #2. The specification sheet in pic 4 points out the 5 degrees in the wing. Note that this is the only difference on the spec sheet. Picture 5 shows AC #1 with its 0 degree angle.

Ken

legion
07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Good Lord, that is one MASSIVE plane next to that tiny F-104...

lancer525
07-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Well, it's official. I too have been banned from that other forum. I posted in a thread in defense and support of those of you who have been banned, and that was all it took.

Back to the topic at hand, Ken, your knowledge of this beautiful aircraft never ceases to amaze me.

Mechanic
07-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Can't help but comment that in picture #5 the guys standing around look like a bunch farmers wearing fedoras (I know it's ground comm gear).

The image is just so contrasting to the period v. the futuristic lines of the plane.

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Here are some pictures of the nosegear. Very tedious, but turned out fine.

The first picture shows the parts required for the NG assembly. The remaining pics are self-explanatory.

Ken

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I had to put Valkyrie under anethesia to install the landing gears so I wouln't damage the fins and rudders.

The third picture shows some internal structure glued inside the gear wells. The last picture - the main gear in place (minus doors and struts)

Ken

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
And here she is - in her 3rd trimester!

More photos coming!

Ken

kenlwest
07-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Here are some more shots of the project so far... It is starting to look like the incredible machine that is was (and still is!)

Ken

Gil
07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Ken,

Now that's BIG & BREATHTAKING! Congratulations on an immaculate landing gear design and build.

+Gil

Ashrunner
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
The gear is definitely amazing...but then, so is the entire model!

Bionic Modeler
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I love it!

Rick Thomson
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I just can't say it enough, that is a bloody beautiful build, of a bloody beautiful aircraft.

Rick

Retired_for_now
07-05-2009, 03:48 PM
And when you do finally get done, here's a thought for version 2 ( Two-Stage-to-Orbit ''Blackstar'' System Shelved at Groom Lake? | AVIATION WEEK (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/030606p1.xml) ). Good ideas don't go away, they just hide in the corner and wait ...

Yogi

rutzes
07-05-2009, 04:26 PM
The XB-70 has one big advantage - it is possible to build one great and big but rather simple model in in-flight configuration and using alle the options (gears and hopefully cockpit) will be a well-detailed result.

Keep up the great work, it looks very fine!

Old Rutz

kenlwest
07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Tonight, I found a little time to finish the struts and hydraulics on the main landing gears.

Also, I added the doors. They are a little short (in length). This has already been corrected and will be reflected in the model that will be available (hopefully soon).

Next, the neck, canards, and cockpit!

Enjoy!

Ken

dhanners
07-07-2009, 06:22 PM
This design and build outpaced superlatives a long time ago. Stunning work....

Stev0
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Ken .... I'd love to see you take a shot at the TSR2 after this.

It seems as though it would be the perfect project for you.

lancer525
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Geeez... This thing is even more beautiful than I could have imagined!

I'm definitely going to try to find some metallic silver paper to build a "production" version... wow! I can hardly wait!

billy.leliveld
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
StevO,
There are some Germans bussy on it;
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | WS-Konstruktion: BAC TSR.2, 1:33 -> Kontrollbau (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=19215&threadview=0&hilight=tsr&hilightuser=0&page=1)

milenio3
07-08-2009, 02:36 PM

Yeah, and those slide rules helped Mankind to go to the Moon. :eek:

Bengt, compadre!! Is really great to have you here!! But... banned from Z*... wow, that came totally unexpected, my friend. :confused:

I have to make a little wiki-research to check what this big bird was used for. :cool:

SJPONeill
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
StevO,
There are some Germans bussy on it;
Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Bauberichte | WS-Konstruktion: BAC TSR.2, 1:33 -> Kontrollbau (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=19215&threadview=0&hilight=tsr&hilightuser=0&page=1)

I PM'd Walter about the TSR a couple of weeks ago and it sounds like he has run into a couple of issues with the TSR.2 and it may not be released this year. I google translated the test build Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kartonbau.de%2Fwbb2%2Fthread.ph p%3Fthreadid%3D19215&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=de%7Cen%7CKartonbau.de%2520-%2520Alles%2520rund%2520um%27s%2520Kartonmodell... %2520%257C%2520Bauberichte%2520%257C%2520WS-Konstruktion%253A%2520BAC%2520TSR.2%252C%25201%253 A33%2520-%253E%2520Kontrollbau) and it looks really good but with some tuning on the design....

I see that someone else commented recently on how good it would be for this model to be for sale by download so hopefully that will be the way to go...

kenlwest
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
To all,

I found a little time today to continue Valkyrie.

The pictures below show the next section of the fuselage. I call this the "canard" section.

Ken

Zathros
07-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Anybody think there's truth to the Blackstar Project?

AIRPOWER.CALLIHAN.CC | All posts tagged 'xb-70' (http://airpower.callihan.cc/?tag=/xb-70)

kenlwest
07-11-2009, 05:51 PM
More pictures....

This model is a long-neck brontosaurus!

I noticed that my lines are too thick on this section. I will be correcting that, but I won't tear the section off and replace it - not really worth it.

Also, the model now balances without a support at the back.

Please disregard my disaster of a workshop! :o I'll clean it up next year.

Ken

BARX2
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Fantastic work Ken!

billy.leliveld
07-12-2009, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=Zathros;58760]Anybody think there's truth to the Blackstar Project?

Blackstar A False Messiah From Groom Lake (http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Blackstar_A_False_Messiah_From_Groom_Lake.html)

Bengt Fredén
07-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi Ken,

I am absolutely thrilled to finally see her on her 'feet'. What an amazingly beautiful and impressive model this is! I just can´t wait to order it.

Keep up the good work!
Bengt :D

cgutzmer
07-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Looks great! Thanks for keeping up with the nice updates - its greatly appreciated!
Chris

Zathros
07-12-2009, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=Zathros;58760]Anybody think there's truth to the Blackstar Project?

Blackstar A False Messiah From Groom Lake (http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Blackstar_A_False_Messiah_From_Groom_Lake.html)

I found it hard to believe too, thanks Billy,

kenlwest
07-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Progress report ...

The pictures below show how the left wingtip is constructed.

1. The inner structure is assembled.

2. The upper and lower panels are pre-shaped and joined in the middle (I had to cut them in half because they don't fit on the paper!)

3. The inner structure is glued to the lower panel.

5 & 6. The upper panel is glued to the lower.

6. IMPORTANT! The wing panel MUST lay flat when laying upside down. This is to prevent a warped look in the rear view. This is controled by laying the glue inside the edges, and then laying it flat as shown - the upper and lower panels will slip relative to each other; but you have to be quick before the glue sets up.

Ken

kenlwest
07-13-2009, 07:07 AM
To all,

I made some progress last night on the folding wingtips.

The wingspan on this beast is 26 inches (660 mm)! I'm glad I didn't go the 1/32 route.

With the detail on the landing gear, I don't think it would have been feasible to design this any smaller than 1/48 scale. So as it turns out, 1/48 was a good choice.

Ken

Thales
07-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow! This looks great.

I can't wait for it to be released. (please please please)

kenlwest
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I almost forgot the front doors on the main landing gear! I knew something was missing......

Here they are...

Ken

kenlwest
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Continuing..

I added the black hinge covers to the wings. This actually strengthens and reinforces the folding wings to the main wing itself. Also note the bullets on the forward end of the hinges....

Next: the Elevons

Ken

kenlwest
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
And;

Here is a rear upper view of the aircraft as it stands so far... Looks a little funny without the elevons added. Those are coming next. :)

Ken

lancer525
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM
To all,

I'm glad I didn't go the 1/32 route.

I'm not. ;)

But I can always have it printed at a slightly larger scale, on slightly larger paper, and make it any size I want....

<insert evil laugh here>

Outstanding work, Ken!

I am honored to have witnessed this project from its inception.

Retired_for_now
07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
It gets more amazing every time I check in here. Superb detail and craftsmanship.

Yogi

kenlwest
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys!

Tonight, I built and added the left tail feathers to this bird. Note that the 2 outboard panels are different width than the inboard panels. I have no idea as to why the engineers did this, but it would be interesting to find out.

Ken

Texman
07-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Well done, and I'm thinking this would make a large project, even in 1/144.

cdavenport
07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys!

Tonight, I built and added the left tail feathers to this bird. Note that the 2 outboard panels are different width than the inboard panels. I have no idea as to why the engineers did this, but it would be interesting to find out.

Ken

According to my buddy at the USAFM (back in the day), the different sizes acted to give the XB-70 differing amounts of roll authority based on the speed of the aircraft, altitude, angle of attack, etc. At low speeds, much more was needed than at supersonic.

peter taft
07-17-2009, 05:44 AM
You still cease to AMAIZE us all Ken... She's already a BEAUTY ;)

surfduke
07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
You still cease to AMAIZE us all Ken... She's already a BEAUTY ;)

Nice build! Are you planning any of the blacklisted variants of the model?

The B-70 was a beautiful white elephant.

Carl

kenlwest
07-19-2009, 05:59 PM
To all,

Progress has been good!

Here are a couple of pictures showing the remaining elevons mounted in place.

Sorry for the poor camera perspectives! I can't get far enough away from the model to get good shots! I'll probably take final photographs outside on the concrete so I can back away and use the zoom.

Ken

kenlwest
07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
The cockpit section has been added along with the canards.

I didn't add a cockpit to this model. Blackened-out glass looks very very close to the real thing. Adding a cockpit would require that use clear plastic for the glass, and I personally don't think it would look authentic enough.

However, I know many people would like to see a cockpit, so I am planning an alternative set of pages for a cockpit version. The internal structure would be much different, and this would be the best way to provide it (I think).

Ken

peter taft
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Good idea about the optional cockpit, and i agree the clear plastic seems to lack something... seems too perfect, maybe a slight tint to it may work ! Still have to say that this is a beautiful model and a very entertaining thread ;)

cgutzmer
07-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks awesome! Thanks for the update ken :)

Texman
07-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I congratulate a master. Well done Ken, hope to add this one to my stable!

SJPONeill
07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh, oh, oh...it's almost done???? Time to start digging out the foundation for the house extension - had the architect round yesterday (yes, really but unfortunatley not to accomodate more and bigger models...)

Agree on the optional cockpit approach - there should be ample work on the rest of the airframe to enable this to be a late step in the build...don't suppose anyone makes a 1/48 Cherry-picker so the crew door can be opened...?

ltla9000311
07-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh, oh, oh...it's almost done???? Time to start digging out the foundation for the house extension - had the architect round yesterday (yes, really but unfortunatley not to accomodate more and bigger models...)

Agree on the optional cockpit approach - there should be ample work on the rest of the airframe to enable this to be a late step in the build...don't suppose anyone makes a 1/48 Cherry-picker so the crew door can be opened...?

If you can come up with some pictures (3 views) of the cherry picker, I might be able to design something to go along with it. If someone doesn't already have it in the works.;)

dansls1
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Looks good!

How does the crew enter the plane? Would it be possible to have it open and see any cockpit detail and still retain the darkened glass look that the plane has?

CharlieC
07-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Looks good!

How does the crew enter the plane? Would it be possible to have it open and see any cockpit detail and still retain the darkened glass look that the plane has?

I was also curious about crew access. It looks like there's a door on the left side of fuselage just behind the cockpit glazing. It needed a substantial stairway to get access to the XB-70 because of the height of cockpit above the ground. 11.jpg (http://photos.interceptor.com/main.php?g2_itemId=8980)

Regards,

Charlie

kenlwest
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM
To all,

The Valkyrie recieved her last part tonight; the beak!

FINISHED! (except for the alternate option for a cockpit build)

DONE! This was a long haul for sure.

Well, here are some prelim pictures - more to follow - gotta run - the rerun of the first Apollo landing on in 2 minutes!

ENJOY!

Ken

Barry
07-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Breathtaking both the design and build.

SJPONeill
07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Beautiful!!!

dhanners
07-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow. Just wow. Everything about this model is monumental....

billy.leliveld
07-20-2009, 11:47 PM
It's a small step for a paper-model designer, but a giant leap for papermodeling :D

kenlwest
07-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks guys!

Now, I have to work out 2 of the most challenging aspects of this project:

1. The cockpit design, and

2. Where to display this supersonic wonder!

I'll try and set up a decent photo shoot tonight in a more "tidy" location and post some final pictures.

Ken

Texman
07-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Speechless.

billy.leliveld
07-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys!

Now, I have to work out 2 of the most challenging aspects of this project:

1. The cockpit design, and

2. Where to display this supersonic wonder!

Ken
How about a museum? :rolleyes:

cgutzmer
07-21-2009, 06:02 AM
I bet Dave Sakrison could find a spot for it at the EAA museum :)
Chris

lancer525
07-21-2009, 06:05 AM
This has been one of the singularly fabulous build threads I have ever seen in my life.

I hereby nominate Ken for Modeler of the Decade.

member_3
07-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Nomination held in abeyance by the committee until he completes the 1:33 Convair B-36 design (with full cockpit and bomb bay.) :eek:

zot
07-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Nomination held in abeyance by the committee until he completes the 1:33 Convair B-36 design (with full cockpit and bomb bay.) :eek:

AND added FICON conversion parts...I know he has an F-84 somewhere.:D Absolutely beautiful work Ken. Definately worth the wait!

plane_mc
07-21-2009, 03:17 PM
That is beautiful Ken :D:D:D:D:D:D When can we order it??????

kenlwest
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
To all,

The weekend is finally here!!

I am going to get started on the cockpit build; probably tomorrow...

In the meantime, just wanted to let you know that this model is comprised of 73 pages of parts so far. The instructions and the alternative build for the cockpit will add significantly to that number!! Also, a fitting tribute to the 2 pilots that lost their lives in Valkyrie #2 will be presented and added to the kit.

Here are some final pictures for your viewing pleasure!! (the next 5 posts)

Enjoy!!

Ken

kenlwest
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
More pictures.....

kenlwest
07-24-2009, 04:53 PM
and more pictures.....

kenlwest
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
even more pictures.....

kenlwest
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
here are the last of the pictures.

mhvink
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
DAMN! My wife would be pissed off at me because I would have to park her car in the street to make room in the garage for that beast:D

Once again, excellent work Ken (excellent doesn't even begin to describe it).

Mike

peter taft
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Ken ! Please accept this attachment and thank you so much for a wonderful project - model and very entertaining thread.... You are THE man :)

shawnr5
07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Drop dead gorgeous. Release it now!!! Release it now!!! Release it now!!!

Any idea how much you will offer it at or when it will be available?

cdavenport
07-24-2009, 09:42 PM
DAMN! My wife would be pissed off at me because I would have to park her car in the street to make room in the garage for that beast:D

Once again, excellent work Ken (excellent doesn't even begin to describe it).

Mike

Hang it from the ceiling!

cdavenport
07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
For those who have never seen the real article, what impresses me most about Ken's build is the manner in which he was able to capture the subtle curvature of the upper fuselage. On the aircraft, it is graceful and sublime. On the model, you hardly realize that this is a mere recreation.

Looking forward to plunking my money down for this one!

Somebody mentioned a B-36 and FICON?

rickstef
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I think a virtual or if someone wants to design a paper version of the Collier Trophy would be more appropriate for this......

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/trophy/TROPHYIMAGE/collier.jpg

SJPONeill
07-24-2009, 10:55 PM
If this goes through Ecardmodels like the X-15, I hope that Chris has factored in some high capacity download servers to handle the rush...this model is simply the duck's guts and I can't wait for it to be released...

woppy73
07-25-2009, 02:26 AM
Hy Ken,

you sure have achieved something great !

As mentioned before - this kit is a "must have"..

Looking forward for your next "steps"

greets and congrats,
Wolfgang

lancer525
07-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Also, a fitting tribute to the 2 pilots that lost their lives in Valkyrie #2 will be presented and added to the kit.

Ashamed as I am to admit it, I'd been working on putting some graphics and text together, but real life, my boss' vacation (left me here alone for 15 days) and a couple of other things have gotten in the way, and I've not made any significant progress on it...

Mea Culpa!

Ken, I think we've all run out of adjectives to describe your magnificent work...

Well done, my friend...

gtb -red
07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm a Supercarrier fan. But this is a Masterpiece. Well done Sir!

billy.leliveld
07-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Ok, whe had the Wrebbit Mercedes, the Allan Rose DC 3, the GPM B52, The Prague castle , but now we have this, setting a new standard; and the winner is......:D

f18fixer
07-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Awsome job of a great aircraft, but I have to ask you ken how can I get one, I want to build that kit...that will make time fly here in Kuwait, where there is nothing to do but drink WATER and build models...LOL

Bomarc
07-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Outstanding effort Ken! PayPal account is standing by......

Perhaps a bit late for model reference purposes, but might make a nice addition for the display case:

North American Aviation XB-70 Tire - eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/North-American-Aviation-XB-70-Tire_W0QQitemZ330347250139QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4cea3b01db&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C29 4%3A50)

Mike

Stev0
07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
$2000 roflololahawtf?

solo67
07-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow Wow Wow....this process was absolutely fascinating .
great design and superb build .
for a 73 page model it is a good thing it is mostly white.
are you planning on making a smaller version for these of us who dont have the room for this beast?

jeanma
07-26-2009, 04:19 AM
your plane is really wonderfull
what scale do you use ? (you may ever say it but i didn't found)
félicitations !!!!

smyfe
07-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Ken, i thought your X-15 would take some beating, but yet again you have turned out, all be it a little larger, work of art:D.Paypal is ready and waiting.
Best wishes
Mick

lancer525
07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
1/24 SR-71, anyone?

:D

lancer525
07-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Wow Wow Wow....this process was absolutely fascinating .
great design and superb build .
for a 73 page model it is a good thing it is mostly white.
are you planning on making a smaller version for these of us who dont have the room for this beast?

You could print it out at 50% and get four sheets to a page. :eek:
I think I read that somewhere... ;)

kenlwest
07-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I enjoyed the trophies too!

Currently, I am working on the cockpit and associated structures. This is turning out to be the biggest challenge of the project so far. Nothing that is insurmountable, but it is taking alot of thought and time. At this scale and complexity, it will be a difficult build for even the most experienced modeler. I am glad I decided to offer it as an alternative build. I'll be posting something hopefully tonight.

Lancer525,

Funny you should mention the SR-71 !!!! I am seriously thinking about a 1/32 scale for my next endeavor... I'll have to see.

BTW, for those who have asked: The Valkyrie will be available as a download from Ecardmodels.com. Probably will cost a bit more than the X-15, but in keeping with tradition, you can expect to pay less that it's probably worth. That way there will be many happy people out there, and nobody will be disappointed. :)

Ken

member_3
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Looking forward to the XB-70's appearance at eCardmodels. SR-71!!! <<leaves to wipe off drool>>

cgutzmer
07-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice work Ken and congrats on POTW! :) Looking for an email from ya :)
Chris

René
07-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Beautiful piece of design and craftmanship. Ken, you are the man !!

excellent work!

René

Ashrunner
07-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Excellent work, Ken.

I just wonder who will be the first to up-scale it to 1/24 or even 1/16...8v)

Rick Thomson
07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmm...1/16th that would look pretty impressive hanging from the ceiling of the old HAS the museum I volunteer for.

2Kamser
07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
hi Ken
wonderful design, like everybody else i need to make room for it (too small apartment i'm afraid)
just had a look at Z - no i'm not banned yet - since yesterday in the aircraft department - 3 postings, 1 yesterday and 2 today, last before that 15 July, so no action almost over there these days

was just thinking about threads at Z that are still up - if you save the pages to your computer you get the complete page with pics, links and everything (if needed)
/Hĺkan

Moshe
07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Lancer525,

Funny you should mention the SR-71 !!!! I am seriously thinking about a 1/32 scale for my next endeavor... I'll have to see.

Ken

The X-15 is black, the XB-70 white, how about something in the middle?

can you make the two seat version, one of those gray colored ones, pleeeeeeeeeease?

Moshe

rickstef
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I agree with Moshe,

the A-12 would be a cool option

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/a12.jpg

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/a-12/images-and-thumbnails/ch4_2.jpg

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/a-12/images-and-thumbnails/ch8_1.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2142/1603304054_9dcbed5b85.jpg

Goleta Air and Space Museum: Palmdale Airparks (http://www.air-and-space.com/Palmdale%20Airparks.htm)

kenlwest
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, I am deep into the design of the cockpit.

Tonight, I built the first of 2 seats; complete inside the escape pod. This is some REALLY SMALL STUFF!!!

Picture 1 - shows the parts required for 2 seat assemblies.

Picture 2 - The inner and outer shells.

Picture 3 - The shells combined.

Picture 4 - The upper shroud

Picture 5 - The shroud and seat supports added

kenlwest
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
And here are more pictures...

Pretty much self explanatory....

Picture 3 shows the size of the seat compared to a number 11 blade.

I sure hope these are visible through the windshield!

Ken

kenlwest
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Moshe, Rick,

I have to admit, the 2 seater A-12 is mighty tempting!!

Ken

cgutzmer
07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Awesome seat! :)
Chris

Scott K
07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Moshe, Rick,

I have to admit, the 2 seater A-12 is mighty tempting!!

Ken
How about the YF-12 with a detailed missile bay and AIM-47A Falcon loadout?

Scott K.

SJPONeill
07-26-2009, 08:41 PM

Scott K.

Got my vote....

Moshe
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Scott K.

The more the better :) , I did not know what this bird can carry.

Moshe

dhanners
07-27-2009, 05:20 AM
After a monumental project like this, I think Ken needs to take it easy for a while and do something relatively quick and light to decompress.... Like re-visiting his X-15A-2 so one could build the original, shorter version of the X-15, 66670.... :)

willygoat
07-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Ooooo. Maybe add the booster stages to the sides as a add on :D

kenlwest
07-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Work continues tonight with the buildup of the cockpit.

A couple things.... edge coloring would enhance things quite a bit, however, since I am not going to build this for my own model, I skipped this step. Use your imagination. Also, you will notice that the instrument panel and console graphics have not yet been added. This is just an exercise in "fitment" of the parts. I don't know how this is going to come out in the end, so please bear with me as the experiment continues...

Ken

lancer525
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
As my Grandfather used to say...

"Jesus, Maria, y Jose!"

Good heavens but that model must be frakkin' huge to have a cockpit that size!

Would you post a photo with some quarters or a soda can in it for scale comparison? From the looks of it, its' about four inches wide or so!

birder
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Wonderful work on this bird, just beautiful. It was an amazing project for the Air Force to embark on, and it has finally been well represented in card! Congrats!! We can all benefit from your work now, thank you Ken!

Stev0
08-01-2009, 07:40 AM
COCKPIT TOO!!???!!!

omfg... :eek:

kenlwest
08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
To all,

I just finished up the cockpit build.

The design is fine, but as predicted, my building skills (or lack thereof) shows up here. But for people wanting a real challenge, go for it!! This assembly is difficult, but many on this forum have adequate skills to top my build of it. I hope someone builds it and posts their results.

Next: The Instrument Panel graphics.

Ken

kenlwest
08-01-2009, 01:18 PM
More pics...

Basically, it assembles as follow:

1. Build the inner structure, with seats and pedestals installed.

2. Wrap structure with the inner shell (graphics to the inside)

3. Glue plastic film over the daylight openings

4. Wrap assembly with the outer shell.

Ken

lancer525
08-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Fantastic!

Ken, thanks for the soda can. Gives me an idea of just how great this beast is!

Great, great job!

Wily
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
This thread is too cool... <S>

Bengt Fredén
08-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Amazing work, Ken!

This leaves you out of breath . . . what a cockpit.

This model is really a jewel - an absolute must for the aircraft/aerospace modeler. I will definately incorporate it in my collection, and I hope that one day soon, I will be bold enough to tackle the job of building it.

All the best from Sweden,

Papercut
08-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Ken, this is just sick, and I look forward to it being available thru ECardmodels. I wonder, I have a idea that I think you might be the one to pull it off. I know some of the guys are asking about a version of the SR-1. What I think would be grand, a B-36. Don't know if you know this, but the 1st Broken Arrow was aboard a B-36. The heavy bomber with a fuel take the size of a boxcar never dropped a single bomb in anger. But this bird did keep those in the World that would have caused trouble, to be good. This aircraft could stay in the air for over 50 hours and reach any target in the World. just a idea:)Rick

cdavenport
08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Ken, your work is a thing of beauty. As for the B-36, there is a large scale model from FG, but it is rather basic as far as models go.

I would counter the suggestions of a B-36 with one for the B-58 Hustler. The size would be more manageable, though the build would be devilishly complex owing to the geometry of the airplane. There is nothing out there that does the airplane justice (save for Monogram's plastic kit)

Here we are, lavishing our vicarious desires upon you. Thanks for listening; it makes the thread even more fun.

Texman
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Hustler, B-58, Type 1 each.

lancer525
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm still liking the idea of a 1/32 Blackbird. Can you imagine those two paper aircraft, and how beautiful they would be next to each other?

Oh, and I think that a Hustler would be the perfect bloody compliment to the pair.

But, the fact of the matter is... It is Ken who decides what Ken does next. We mere mortals can only drool, beg, and pray.

lancer525
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm still liking the idea of a 1/32 Blackbird. Can you imagine those two paper aircraft, and how beautiful they would be next to each other?

Oh, and I think that a Hustler would be the perfect bloody compliment to the pair.

But, the fact of the matter is... It is Ken who decides what Ken does next. We mere mortals can only drool, beg, and pray. :D

nando
08-05-2009, 04:31 PM
FANTASTIC !!!
The cockpit is a model by it self ...:)

.... and my X-15 is lieing in a corner ...:cool:

About the next
I agree with Texman

Hustler, B-58, Type 1 each.

and after all, they flew together. Ok Your Valkyrie is not so dirty, but it is easier to dirty then to clean ....:D

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061122-F-1234P-025.jpg

... but the choice is yours.

I am warming my credit card....
Best Nando

dhanners
08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
The XB-70 wasn't "dirty" per se. It's just that the paint they applied to it in the beginning peeled off during the first few high-speed flights. It does make for quite a sight, though....

lancer525
08-06-2009, 05:21 PM
They hadn't learned a lot about thermal expansion and airflow heating yet. The Blackbird was still a few years away, and so each of the Valkyries, and all of the Hustlers developed some paint delamination because of the heating and expansion factors. In fact, I knew one guy in a flying club I used to belong to, who had flown the Hustler. He told me once that the ground crew guys could always tell him how fast he'd flown, by how much paint had flaked off...

peter taft
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
What a fantastic cockpit so far, and has with the rest of the build you get :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: rating. Lovely work friend :)

kenlwest
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
To all,

The Valkyrie is now available on Ecardmodels.com.

Here's the link!

http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=37&products_id=591 (http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=37&products_id=591)

NYC Irishman
08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey there, Just purchased...hahahaa 77 pages????

There goes the ink tanks

It also lists the scale at 1/32 and at 1/48 in different places...what scale is it?

Please Ken...Could you do the X-15 tanks next????

Pretty please?

John John

kenlwest
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM
To all,

The model is incorrectly listed as 1/32. It is 1/48.

I'll notify Chris to get a correction done.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ken

billy.leliveld
08-15-2009, 05:32 PM
A couple of years ago, I joined " the other forum" and my first question was ; Who knows a model of the XB 70 ?...
I just ordered my copy, and it has been a priviledge to see it been designed and a honour to be of assistence,
Thanks Ken, for make this come true.... I'll be busy...

sjsquirrel
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Ken,

Thank you for this fabulous model. I have an XB70 kit I purchased a few years ago sitting in my pile of to-build-someday, but it's nowhere near as gorgeous as yours. I bought yours yesterday and it's now in the to-build-pile on top of that other one :D. Now I just gotta finish all those other projects I've already started.

Thanks again for a fabulous model and a wonderful design thread.

Steve

billy.leliveld
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I just printed out the model (SCARRY:eek:) My printer did a impersonation of that thing in the back for The Little Shop of Horrors; "feed me..":D
76 pages of parts and 23 with instuctions:eek:
We are very lucky that the Airforce decided to paint it white, in stead of the X 15 black, I still have some ink left in the cardridge:rolleyes:
BTW the small white plane sitting ontop of the stack is the 1:96 XB 70 :eek:
It sure adds a lot of weight to my "to do" list..
Oh, BTW, it realy is a work of art.

Moshe
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
76 pages of parts and 23 with instuctions:eek:

Next time, you can print the instructions on both sides of the sheets ;)

kenlwest
08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Billy,

I never had an opportunity to have a complete stack of pages on this model sitting in front of me. OMG! It seems overwhelming, but most of the pages are 1 or 2 parts due to the size of the beast, so it's not as bad as it seems.

I would love to see someone with better building skills than me, build this model and show it here. I can't think of anyone more capable than you to do it! You did such a great job on the X-15.

Please give it some thought; I would hate to see you waste all that paper!

Ken

billy.leliveld
08-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Waste??? This is going to be one of the best build ever:D:D,and I'm planning to take it to the Dutch annual Model show in October, I can see why it takes so many sheets, they just can't be combined, and a I'm here in Europe, they did print very well on the A4 format .. I'll bussy :D:D

billy.leliveld
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Ken ,
The next time you take on something like this you can always call me, or a lot of more guys with the same skills like me to do the "alpha " build and get instand comment on the model :D:D:D

billy.leliveld
08-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Next time, you can print the instructions on both sides of the sheets ;)

Nice tip, it doesn't work for the part-sheets :D

Bengt Fredén
08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Ken,

Thank you for an amazing model! I just bought my copy from e-card models.

It has been really exciting and educating to follow your design thread in both forums. Thank you for sharing the build text and the fine and detailed photos, while completing your build - that is an amazing feat in it´s own right.

I look forward to some time off, when I can start building this beauty. Meanwhile, I will follow Billy´s build thread with interest.

All the best from Stockholm,

rutzes
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Ken,

I bought your XB-70, too, and it is a really nice construction - chapeau!

BTW, I built most recently the B-58 from Wilhelmshavener, which is one of the very best models from them. Approx. 650 parts, original model in 1/50 (I built mine in 1/33), original in aluminum finish (mine not due to ink jet printer) - it may be found for US customers at A heartly welcome from Wilhelmshaven! (http://www.papermod.de/US-shop/index.html) for USD 14.70 + shipping (customers in Good Ol' Jurrop pay twice that price).

Nevertheless, I'm waiting for your construction for comparison!

Old Rutz

willygoat
08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Ken- if you need photos to help with your build, I have easy access to a B-58 here in town. I may be able to get interior shots too. Just let me know.
Here's the one I'm near:
Strategic Air and Space Museum B-58A - Hustler (http://www.sasmuseum.com/2008/11/21/b-58a-hustler/)

Foxbat
12-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Ken, I've just noticed that your XB-70 in 1:32 scale is not available anymore. On it's place is 1:48th scale model.
was it removed from the store permanently?

billy.leliveld
12-15-2010, 05:59 AM
There never was a 1:32 one, it's just a mistake in the text..

piginapoke
12-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Looking good. A monster build that's for sure :)

goodduck
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I completely missed how you built the wheels. Are the wheels sandwiched with just layers of cards?

Foxbat
12-15-2010, 01:30 PM
There never was a 1:32 one, it's just a mistake in the text..
ok, thanks Billy :)

SJPONeill
12-15-2010, 03:32 PM
But please feel most welcome to upsize the 1/48 model to 1/32...!!!

lancer525
12-16-2010, 07:07 AM
ONeill... I thought about doing exactly that, but I couldn't figure out how to scale up the thickness of the paper, to make sure that it would match, since Ken is such a precise designer. I have a source for this absolutely GORGEOUS silver-mirrored poster size paper (19" x 24") and I believe it will be too thick to make the model from. But can you imagine a MIRRORED finish on this bird?

I'm still looking for the right silver paper to build this one with. I want that perfect mirror-finish metallic silver, and I am going to find it...

Foxbat
12-21-2010, 05:04 AM
... I couldn't figure out how to scale up the thickness of the paper, to make sure that it would match, since Ken is such a precise designer. I have a source for this absolutely GORGEOUS silver-mirrored poster size paper (19" x 24") and I believe it will be too thick to make the model from. But can you imagine a MIRRORED finish on this bird?

I'm still looking for the right silver paper to build this one with. I want that perfect mirror-finish metallic silver, and I am going to find it...
was the XB-70 silver or metallic? :confused: I've never seen such. Isn't it white?

about thickness of paper...
I would suggest the next calculation:
Example - I have model in 1:48 scale, need to be printed on 160gr/m2
in 1:32 scale (which is exactly 1.5 times enlarged) the paper should be 160x1.5 = 240gr/m2 (at least 220-230 gr/m2)
IMO the different in thickness about 0.1 or 0.05 mm is not so critical

lancer525
12-21-2010, 06:24 AM
The two prototypes that were built were white. ;)

But if you'd read carefully, you would have seen where I was going to build the B-70A, which would have been the production, in-service, line version. As if it had been put into serial production and sent to bomber squadrons... :eek:

billy.leliveld
12-21-2010, 07:11 AM
At least one of them was...
This is the other one :cool:

Diderick A. den Bakker
12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Before buying the Valkyrie, one question. It has to be printed on 'letter' size paper, which we don't use here (Europe, the Netherlands). I want to be sure it can be printed on A4 size without problems? (29,5 x 21 cms).

willygoat
12-21-2010, 08:09 AM
From what I've seen. Ken's designs work on either.

billy.leliveld
12-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Before buying the Valkyrie, one question. It has to be printed on 'letter' size paper, which we don't use here (Europe, the Netherlands). I want to be sure it can be printed on A4 size without problems? (29,5 x 21 cms).

No problem Diderick, I have printed it, Ken leaves always a lot of space around the parts

lancer525
12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
At least one of them was...
This is the other one :cool:

Billy, that is a photo of a Valkyrie after a Mach 3 flight. The aircraft heated up so much that it slightly stretched, causing massive blebs of paint to flake off from the aerodynamic heating, and the flexing of the skin in that flight regime.

SJPONeill
12-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I always wondered what the technical term for those big chunks of paint was...hmmm...blebs...;-)

billy.leliveld
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Billy, that is a photo of a Valkyrie after a Mach 3 flight. The aircraft heated up so much that it slightly stretched, causing massive blebs of paint to flake off from the aerodynamic heating, and the flexing of the skin in that flight regime.

I know, this is the one half white/ half bare metal ;)

lancer525
12-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Billy, do forgive me. Sometimes, I can't see the forest for looking at a leaf. I absolutely detest it when someone assumes that I don't know what I am doing, and here I go and do the very same thing to you. My most sincere apologies, my friend.

kenlwest
12-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Lancer,

I thought of an idea that might help with the silver version. One of the problems with using silver paper is that you see every imperfection - this is duo to how it reflects at different angles, such as between bulkhead sections.

Maybe you can offset the bulkhead sections by one more thickness of paper, then wrap them with an under-layer of paper, then the silver paper.

If you like, I can make a special set of bulkheads for you - I just need to know the thickness of the under-layer paper, and your silver paper.

Very easy and quick... no problem.

Ken

billy.leliveld
12-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Billy, do forgive me. Sometimes, I can't see the forest for looking at a leaf. I absolutely detest it when someone assumes that I don't know what I am doing, and here I go and do the very same thing to you. My most sincere apologies, my friend.

No offence Lancer and certainly no need to appologise, I was just making fun..

DEATH ANGELS
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Lancer525 I have to get a roll of paper towels and wipe up the tears. Look at P-51B in polished aluminum you will see the best mirror finish card stock. It is Mylar coated so impervious to water glues and resists dents and if half delamanated it will turn around a coat hanger wire. But SUPER BILLY is absolutly correct that making a mirror finish paper model has a major drawback. Every deflection shows. TEST: Pull a sheet of aluminum foil tight and you can see the lightest touch. Where two parts butt together the surface is interupted and so is the light reflected. Stick with white and airbrushed weathering if possable. If building silver wings use something like river paper that can be printed on or a matt finish silver card stock.

lancer525
12-24-2010, 05:48 AM
What a shame that someone from Georgia would write such an insulting statement...

I wouldn't have thought it possible on this forum.

bagpiper
12-24-2010, 08:42 AM
And that's why Dave's Boat was invented. :)

Merry Christmas Lancer - been a while since we last chatted so thought I would wish you and yours a Merry Christmas.

Take care
cheers
Jim