PDA

View Full Version : MIG-3 Modelart by Emil Zarkov......my first paper model ever !!!

vanhalen
06-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Ok guys,

itīs time for my first paper model ever.Since nearly two years Iīve been watching different forums, but I never had the courage to start an own model.
But now Iīve started.
The choice was a Mikoyan and Gurevich MIG-3 by Modelart, designed by Emil Zarkov.
I have got the plane as a download version in pdf-format.
Printed out on card 160g/mē and plain paper with an inkjet printer.
There arenīt so many details at the kit, and no weathering...but that will follow afterwards :D
Here some fotos from the start.
Itīs a pity...the pilot didnīt clean his boots, before testing the cockpit....:-)
I have to say, that there are some filthy sections, but that was my fault, not the kitīs culpability.
The kit is deadly exact.
As I said...itīs my first paper model ever, so I have to try out a lot.:o

Thatīs all for today.
Greetings from germany,

Stephan

Papercut
06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Hello Stephan and glad to see you posting. I like the subject you have started this thread about. I look forward to watching your progress.:DRick

Gharbad
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Looking great! This is a nice plane, should be fun to see it come together.

shrike
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Looks like a great start.
You made a good choice, all of the good Doktor's kits are well designed and buildable with a balance of detail/complexity.

Yu Gyokubun
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Contrary to what you said your build is extremely clean compared to my first build. I want to show you my first one, ah I didn't take any photo of first one. This is not excuse. I really didn't take any photos (lucky):D

Cheers,
Yu

vanhalen
06-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, Yu-san...what has been in history...who cares ???:D
Your building reports are such a great inspiration, not only for me...I dare to say for many other modelers.....:)
@all: Thanx for the kind words.....unfortunately I made a greater mistake at the next section...pictures will follow:mad:

Paragon
06-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Surely that is not your first build ever, its too clean!

Very impressive, I look forward to future progress.

SJPONeill
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
You will see what these guys mean when I get my camera back and post some pics of my first (current) experiment in paper modelling...like Frankenstein but uglier...

vanhalen
06-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Well, I swear by the great KAMI...Yu-san knows, what I mean, that IS my first build.
I studied the forums for two years and soaked up every hint I could get.....and some Frankenstein Pics will follow, for sure !!!!
Next section for the front went a little wrong, the edges got wavy a little bit, because I placed the former to much in the front, so the it interleaves in the connecting strips....but the fitting of the kit is great.

aduhot1
06-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Very impressive, I look forward to future progress.

Don Boose
06-15-2009, 04:41 AM
All that preparation is clearly paying off in a very fine first model.

You may run into the occasional problem, but based on the evidence of the initial photos, it will come out well in the end - with many more in the future.

Many thanks for sharing this experience and the photos with us.

Don

Yu Gyokubun
06-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Well, I swear by the great KAMI...Yu-san knows, what I mean,

KAMI bless you!
*note: In Japanese 'KAMI' has two meanings. One is 'paper' and the other is 'god'

I'm very glad to know that we have succeeded to induce one KAMI believer who will share the insanity with us:D

Ron0909
06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Stephan, that's an exceptional start! My first builds were Modelart as well
but I didn't have the stones (for the lack of a better word) to touch anything like that. I can't wait to follow the rest of your build(s)
Beautiful work!

Ron

vanhalen
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Ron, thank you for your kind words.
As I predicted before....now the "Frankenstein-Photos" will come.
Ok, itīs not that bad, but Iīm not satisfied with the result.
Look at picture 15, there you can see the followong error I will describe.
At one setion, the edge of the card is upwelled and the surface is rubbed of colour a little bit.
I will conceal that with weathering later :D
The fitting of the kit is great, mistakes had come by me.
The radio section in the rear cockpit is added, but the pilot could not close the canopy....so rain gets inside and the Radio section got rusty a little bit ;-)
So I missed sometimes to sand the formers a little bit more.
As you may see, I chose the junior method with flat gun channels, because right now, I hadnīthe courage to form those parts.
I will improvise there to get a more realistic look later on.
But overall, Iīm satisfied with my first work a until now I learned a lot about paper modelling.....thank you all for your hints and tips !
Now some fotos of the progress I made so far.
Props are ready, thanks Yu-san for your outstanding illustration.
Ah, I love papermodeling,and have got lots of plans, ahem, models for the future......but....so much models to build, and so short of time:D
With this in my mind......have fun, dudes and show me planes, planes, planes...
Greetings,

Stephan

ccoyle
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Looks pretty good, Stephan. Everything is lined up nicely.

Regards,

Yu Gyokubun
06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
This afternoon I was unable to settle down to work because I was anxious about one modeler’s progress and tonight I was unable to go to bed because I couldn’t stop worrying about your first build but seeing you are doing well I can go to bed
Good night

Gharbad
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
If you're worried about that stuff on your first model you're going to make some of us crazy with envy :)

redhorse
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Looks beautiful! Too little time and too many models, the lament of us all!

vanhalen
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Kuba,
I donīt want to make some kind of understatement, so someone will envy or else.
I think every model builder had that feelings: So far the model got well together and then, in an unconcentrated moment, a mistake happened.
I canīt really explain, how it happened there, but I think I put to many pressure at this section, when pressing the strips at the fuselage...to many glue...a little bit of panic, because glue flow on the skin of the plane....and it finally happened.
I donīt want to build a perfect model, there are soooooooo many masters in this forum.
But I will surely learn from my mistakes.
But nevertheless......every time I look at this little unfinished Mig.....I start grinning like an idiot, pick the tiny plane up....talk to it...pucker my lips...and brooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr....fly a little through the room:D...come on guys...you also do it, right?
Thank you all for the kind words, your comments are so much inspiration an motivation to me....cannot believe that I did not card modeling before:o

Greetings from germany,

Stephan

PS.:Next planes are ready to build, some smaller ones in 1:50 scale by Marek...for sure 2 variations of the Buffalo Brewster...I love that fat little cigar:D

redhorse
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
But nevertheless......every time I look at this little unfinished Mig.....I start grinning like an idiot, pick the tiny plane up....talk to it...pucker my lips...and brooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr....fly a little through the room:D...come on guys...you also do it, right?

Very good to hear you do that too:D I always have to test fly my airplanes around the room!

vanhalen
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Yu-san,

you are a very adorable precious person...what a real pity, that the distance between Germany, USA and Japan is nearly insurmountable.
Thanks again and again and again for KAMI and the common cranes, you sent to me long time ago via Kartonbau.de:D
Arigatou Gozaimasu, Yu-san

kenlwest
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
This is outstanding work for a first build (outstanding for the 10th build for that matter). Obviously, you have what it takes. I'm sure you will agree that having a quality-fitting kit helps as well.

Looking forward to the completion!

Ken

Gharbad
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Stephan, it was totally a compliment. I point to all my little mistakes too, but I have much bigger ones to emphasize!

I make spinning propellors just so it spins as I fly around the room :p

shrike
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Stephan, if that's the worst mistake you make, you are well on your way to being a Master.
If you rub the seam down with the back of a spoon, knife handle, et cetera it will be perfect.

Yu Gyokubun
06-17-2009, 06:20 PM
because glue flow on the skin of the plane....and it finally happened.

Stephan-san, did you apply glue on the glueing tab? If so, next time please do not apply glue on the tab but inside of fuselage skin so that glue will not run off from the inside unless you apply tooooooo much glue

Jim Nunn
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Excellent first build. The good Dr. Zarkov is well known of the exact fits of his models, but it still takes skill to make the model as well as you have. Keep posting I want to see the finished model.

Jim Nunn

vanhalen
06-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Stephan-san, did you apply glue on the glueing tab? If so, next time please do not apply glue on the tab but inside of fuselage skin so that glue will not run off from the inside unless you apply tooooooo much glue
Ah, Yu-san, another hint, I will put into action immediately.
@all: By the way....when gluing parts together, like fuselage sections with tabs...do you use white glue ( for wood etc.) or do you use "normal" translucent glue with ahem..how does it call...solvent ???
White glue cleaves quicker than translucent glue, but if using too much, the danger is very high, thet the card gets kinky because it is waterbased.
A hint would be great.
I tried out the white glue at the small glue contacts of the air intakes beside the front of the fuselage....it worked well and I needed only little glue.

So long,

Stephan

vanhalen
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi folks,

well, new parts have been completed, the fuselage is nearly completed, I also installed the elevators and itīs parts are ready and fit well.
But I made mistakes on both sides at the platings of the elevators, ahem, I mean the metal sheets, which are rounded around the elevators....
I hope you understood, what I mean.
I installed them a little to high, but it still lokks okay.
Photos will follow tomorrow.
The smile while looking at the Mig gets bigger from day to day....
Of course I flew a little round through the living room...:D

Broooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!

Glue paper and rock on

Stephan

Bionic Modeler
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Very nice start. Way better than my first build. That was the 4' Titanic by Alan Rose back in 1981. I still have it. So if you were wondering how long they last this should give you a hint. And this was before Clear coating.

ccoyle
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
The smile while looking at the Mig gets bigger from day to day....
Of course I flew a little round through the living room...:D

Broooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!

I think this a required step in the build process. No model is complete without it. ;)

vanhalen
06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Here are the Photos, one of the general overview and two of the elevators, from top and below.
The plane looks streamline and embodies speed to the viewer.
But their flight attributes should not have been so good, so they say.
I would take it for a round instantly ;-)
As I mentioned before, some minor mistakes, but live it looks quite good, Iīm satisfied so far.
Next project from Dr.Zarkovīs beautys is chosen...the Russian nightfighter Lavochkin LA-11, with the decals of the North Corean Airforce, flew there in 1953.
Greetings,
Stephan

Barry
06-20-2009, 09:47 AM
it's very impressive

GreMir
06-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Stephan,
Very impressive considering the fact that it's your first card model.
If I might offer an advice - it is much easier to install vertical stab before the horizontals are in place.

Keds_Girl_Lala
06-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I think it is very well done with the workmanship, even for just your first model. My first model... ugh... I not finish it even!

vanhalen
06-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Michael,

thank you for your advice, I will consider that immediately at my next build.
Well, I did not build after the chronological order of the instructions...:D
Normally the canopy is build before...but taht will be the last part of the plane, that I will build, because if scared a lot building the canopy :o
Thanx
Stephan

nothing
06-20-2009, 10:06 AM
i agree with the others. fantastic work by any standards first or otherwise. look forward to more!

vanhalen
06-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Here another little progress:
I installed the exhaust pipes and their coverage and some other tiny parts around the nose of the plane.
Some pictures show the exhaust pipes covered and one foto show them "uncovered".
For testing I plugged the vertical rudder at the fuselage....fits well and will be next part to be installed :D

Greetings
Stephan

Yu Gyokubun
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
How quickly you learned! amazing

milenio3
06-30-2009, 01:59 PM

I think whoever that does not make that theatrical approach to his/her models... lacks a big 50% of the modelers feelings.

Now imagine what I did with the F-16!! :rolleyes:

Keep on the Mig, my friend... without loosing the eye for the Lavochkin.

Paragon
07-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I think for me the whole point of building models sometimes is so I can fly them around the room.

vanhalen
07-10-2009, 01:49 AM
So, I treated the MIG a little shabby due to my excitement on the LA-11.
I installed the rudder and started wirth the wings.
As I mentioned in the building report of the LA-11......Iīm fagged out, because I was so nervous.
The more the plane grows satisfying, the fear comes closer to ruin the plane with some wacky mistakes:o

Photos will follow tomorrow for sure.

Greetings

Stephan

cdwheatley
07-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Look forward to seeing those pictures. I'm sure everything will be fine :).

airdave
07-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I think for me the whole point of building models sometimes is so I can fly them around the room.

yeah I built one like that the other day.
a really nice Pistol.
some parts didn't fit quite right.
I don't have a lot of patience.
it flew real good.
made it all the way across the room.

Stephan...I am still only a newbie with kit building, but you make me want to give up right now! lol if this is your first build, imagine your twentieth!?

and the dirt on the floor of the cockpit actually looked intended to me!

vanhalen
07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Well, Dave, while putting the wings together, I spotted out a fault, which I think it must be caused by the kit, at the LA-11.
The shaft of the undercariage does not fit equal to the wings, when I take photos, you see what I mean.
But I will modify it a little bit so that it will be nearly hidden.
Thank you for your kind words.
This great builders here in the forum inspire me a lot, even though the builders at kartonbau.de, the german forum in my native language.
At this point Iīd like to say:
Everybody, who finds some kind of misspelling in my reports, can retain it :D

Greetings,
Stephan

vanhalen
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
So, good morning, in germany itīs 06:41 am.
Here are some pictures of the progress.
As I mentioned before: Installed the rudder and started the first parts of the wings.
Some Minor mistakes due to my greenness in model building, but I think, I can fix it later on to a acceptable result.:o
I wish you a good start into a new week.
Well, this weekend model building suffered a litle bit because of my second passion....fishing:D
I have specialized in ...well I think in America they call it Walleye !

Greetings

Stephan

ccoyle
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, this weekend model building suffered a litle bit because of my second passion....fishing:D
I have specialized in ...well I think in America they call it Walleye !

Moin, moin, Stephan!

My modeling hours have also been curtailed (in part) due to some recent fishing expeditions. My son and I both took a limit of rainbow trout on the Middle Fork Tuolumne River (you can find it on Google Earth) last Thursday, and tomorrow we are going to try our hand at catching some panfish in one of the local reservoirs. I tried catching some walleye (Stezostedion vitreum) in Minnesota a few years ago, but no luck. :(

Your models are both looking fantastic!

Tschuess!

redhorse
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Walleye!?!!???

I grew up between Minnesota and NW Wisconsin and Walleye is pretty much the national fish up there! Then we had bratwurst and beer too. Most of us came from German ancestry (at least partly) and it's really good to know that there are walleyes in Germany!

Also, your model looks great!!! Fishing always helps me get rejuvinated for more models. Well, we only caught a small bluegill this weekend... but still...

Don Boose
07-13-2009, 04:26 AM
That model is impressive. I find no flaws in the craftsmanship -- and it's such a pretty airplane with that improbably long nose and the clean winter livery.

Many outstanding modelers seem to be fishermen. Maybe some kinds of similar attitudes and skills are involved. I used to love fishing, but haven't fished for many years -- maybe that's why my modeling skills do not compare with those of you three (and others I could mention).

I hope you will not mind a brief diversion from the subject of your most excellent MiG, Stephan, but the mention of walleye reminded me of a happy summer in the late 1950s that I spent working at a fishing lodge in Canada. "Walleye" was a popular game fish there; but what they called a "walleye" was not the Stezostedion vitreum, but, rather, what United Statesians call a "pickerel." And the Canadian pickerel was actual a type of pike. At least, that's the way I remember it.

Whatever the fish are called, I call your model airplanes superb, Stephan, and can't wait to see more of them. Just now, I am on a model building hiatus until an intense period of teaching ends. But your models are giving me the itch to get back to modeling.

Don

vanhalen
07-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi Don,

thanks a lot for your very honest and complimentary words.
That motivates me a lot to go on and finsih these two beauties.
Actually, the wings from the Mig-3 are finished, photos will follow.
Put the halves together and installed the landing light and the air intakes.
But foolishly I put too much pressure, when wrapping the halves around the middle frame ( The wings have no rib construction like other models ) so that you can see the contours of the frame slightly at the wings surface....ahem...does anybody got, what I mean?:o
Well due to that mistake I jumped around the room like Rumpelstiltskin:mad:
But overall slowly it turns into a real beauty.
Nevertheless...with wings the daily flight through the living room gets more comfortable :D

That was a big advantage for the Mig-3 and gets a big lead compared to the LA-11.....but the LA-11 will strike back for sure :D
Stay tuned

Stephan

buffalowings
07-13-2009, 06:13 AM
very ice job by the way, much better than my first paper model

milenio3
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
OUCH!! Yeah, it happened to me also, that the ribs appear on the wing surface.

Then I found on a Polish forum, that many times the designers ask the modeler to laminate the wing parts with paper the same kind (not card nor cardstock nor carton), then you construct the wing. That way you prevent the ribs to appear.

Nik0lai
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
hey i don't know how to create a clear canopy. Im also building this model. Anyone with suggestions?

Nik0lai
09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
they are not just beauties, they are gems crafted out of our creativity! good job mate! May I ask, does the inscription before the RED STAR means "To The West!" or "For our Motherland!"? Thank you sir!