PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein's Monster

ShadowCory
11-08-2016, 08:38 PM
This one will be a little tough because I am still rolling it around in my head. I think I will start out with a bust, and see where it goes.

I made this much of the head so far. I hand drew the parts, then scanned it and edited it a little to get it symmetrical. Printed back out, cut, folded and glued.

Interesting thing about this style is the whole thing is made from a single part. I think I can add the mouth from the bottom of his chin and fold it up like I folded the forehead and nose down. Then the majority of the head will be a single shape.

airdave
11-08-2016, 11:00 PM
At least you called it "Frankenstein's Monster" and not "Frankenstein".
That's always irritated me!

To be honest, looks a lot like that animated Monster...
from a few years back.
Can't remember the name of the short.
I'll try to fnd it.

John Bowden
11-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Frankenstein Jr.

clif52
11-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Frankenstein Jr.

Didn't Webdude make a Frankenstine Jr. model?:rolleyes:

ShadowCory
11-09-2016, 03:05 AM
Didn't Webdude make a Frankenstine Jr. model?:rolleyes:
Here it is:
The Professor's Paper Empire: Robots & Hero Models (http://www.professorplastik.com/monster_site/proscenium/kits/xtrakits/paperkits/page_heroes.html)

My design wss also compared to Herman Munster as well :)
We will see where the idea leads me. I hope to have something like a stylistic depiction of the Boris Karloff version.

John Bowden
11-09-2016, 06:52 AM
well........... you could always do a Young Frankenstein....:-)

gotham
11-09-2016, 01:21 PM
This will be interesting, it's going to be fun seeing you design a non - robot figure.

ShadowCory
11-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Ha,ha! Young Frankenstein would be good too! I think his head was round, wasn't it? May be better if I stick with the flat top :)
I think it will be interesting too. I imagine it being about the same size as Gort. Since I have a pretty decent idea of how to construct the body. I would like to depict depth on the clothes. Some wrinkles and bends.

elliott
11-09-2016, 06:57 PM
This will be interesting to watch you develop Cory, especially the clothing with wrinkles and bends.

ShadowCory
11-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Elliot. Not quite sure how, but I am going to take a stab at it!

ShadowCory
11-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Still designing. Working out the facial features...Probably going to make the mouth/chin narrower, and extend the top edge of the skull to get a little more forehead.

John Bowden
11-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Don't forget the bolts!

ShadowCory
11-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Still experimenting with shapes and different techniques to produce shadows and highlights. I am pretty much cutting and trying things by hand. I kinda like how these eyes, nose and general shape of the head are looking, but I have a major proportion problem with the features. I think making the eyes bigger and making a better chin/lower lip area will go a long way in correcting this. I have scanned a few of the cut pieces, now I can size them, then print out a better guide.

ShadowCory
11-18-2016, 11:58 AM
More refinement on the shapes and proportions. The one on the left is the updated "mockup". The one on the right is a cleaned up version with final shapes in place.

Bengt F
11-18-2016, 02:47 PM
You're doing great, ShadowCory,

If you need more photos of Boris Karloff's face, this archive page might be helpful, with covers from some of the venerable fan magazine issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland, which I remember very well from my early teens (in the late 60s), especially the photos with Boris and Elsa Lanchester from the movie The Bride of Frankenstein. I might still have a few tattered issues in old boxes in the attic: :)
Frankensteinia: The Frankenstein Blog: The Covers of Frankenstein : Famous Monsters of Filmland No. 257 (http://frankensteinia.blogspot.se/2011/08/covers-of-frankenstein-famous-monsters.html)

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm :rolleyes:

ShadowCory
11-19-2016, 05:06 PM
You're doing great, ShadowCory,

If you need more photos of Boris Karloff's face, ...[/url]

Best,
Bengt in Stockholm :rolleyes:

Excellent resource for all things Frankenstein! Thanks for that link.

Here is the latest on the face development... I think I am getting very close. I have about given up on transcribing the parts to the computer. I have most of the basics in a drawing, but the details I have to change, experiment, snip and cut, then try again. I am going to move on to the hair and neck.

gotham
11-20-2016, 04:38 AM
Latest pics are great, interesting to watch the design development for this as it evolves.

elliott
11-20-2016, 09:42 AM
You know, he (it?) almost appears handsome. You're doing good work on this Cory.

ShadowCory
11-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Latest pics are great, interesting to watch the design development for this as it evolves.

You know, he (it?) almost appears handsome. You're doing good work on this Cory.

Thanks! It's been a nice challenge too. I am a little bummed I gave up the ability to reproduce it, but I suppose a one of a kind is ok for now :)

Here I have adjusted the top of the head, added the facial scars and staples, and started on the hairline.

ShadowCory
11-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah, here is one more showing how I want to handle the neck and shoulders.

John Bowden
11-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Raise up one side of the hair and you got a pretty good Johnny Bravo!:eek:

But for Frank, he looks pretty good...........;)

ShadowCory
11-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Raise up one side of the hair and you got a pretty good Johnny Bravo!:eek:

But for Frank, he looks pretty good...........;)

Or, paint Johnny Bravo green, his hair black, and he makes a pretty good monster :rolleyes:

Thanks!

ShadowCory
11-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Added some hair. Glad that is over with. ;)

gotham
11-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Can't wait to see this coloured now - that'll bring him to life.

ShadowCory
11-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Here is the body design and pose. Next up, a few test unwraps to check scale and match the head.

gotham
11-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Body looking good.

ShadowCory
11-30-2016, 12:04 PM
Body looking good.
Thanks, Gotham. One interesting (maybe?) design note: I made an "inner body" mannequin type structure to be printed and assembled as a base. I had the idea of using textured paper like watercolor paper or canvas textured paper to make the clothes from. Making them similar to how clothes are constructed from cloth. May look really cool, or may look really bad. If it is the latter, I'll print and assemble the clothes from card stock and assemble them a la the Gort design.

gotham
12-01-2016, 05:21 AM
Like the idea of separate, textured clothes. This idea will add more dimension to the figure - and make it more into a sculpture / collage.

bigpetr
12-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Superb work Cory, you captured him perfectly.

Will it be possible to get template from You? Would love to make him.

ShadowCory
12-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Like the idea of separate, textured clothes. This idea will add more dimension to the figure - and make it more into a sculpture / collage.
Not all of my ideas pan out, but I am going to give it a try. :)

Superb work Cory, you captured him perfectly.

Will it be possible to get template from You? Would love to make him.

Thanks! I'll make it available if you want it. The only thing is the face took so much experimenting, I cut and re-cut so many pieces, I quit trying to document them :confused: I have the major pieces, the head, forehead, nose, and ears, but I gave up on the eyes, and mouth. The chin and hair are just cut out on the fly as well. I am afraid it is not very complete :eek:
I will give what I have though, if anyone wants it...
BTW, here is a pic of the upper chest and head together. The scale seemed to have come out ok.

KCinKC46
12-01-2016, 10:35 PM
It seems as though you are inadvertantly doing Johnny Bravo. Whether you wanted it or not.

ShadowCory
12-01-2016, 10:57 PM
It seems as though you are inadvertantly doing Johnny Bravo. Whether you wanted it or not.

That sounded rather rude. Whether you wanted it or not.

ShadowCory
12-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Today's progress...My hands and eyes are giving up on me. I hope to finish his inner body tomorrow. Maybe his boots too, I unfolded those today too.

spaceagent-9
12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
that's cool!

gotham
12-03-2016, 04:18 AM
Progress looking good - protect/rest those (precious) hands and eyebalks ! Had to Google Johnny Bravo (never heard of the character) to catch up on some previous comments - there's a vague similarity (if you look at your figure from 20 miles away and you're staring at the sun.)

clif52
12-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Very nice face and head detail. Most figure models in paper I've seen the detail is mostly in the printing texture. Nice to see the 3D structural detail.

ShadowCory
12-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Progress looking good - protect/rest those (precious) hands and eyebalks ! Had to Google Johnny Bravo (never heard of the character) to catch up on some previous comments - there's a vague similarity (if you look at your figure from 20 miles away and you're staring at the sun.)

Here we go: Direct comparison :)

ShadowCory
12-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Very nice face and head detail. Most figure models in paper I've seen the detail is mostly in the printing texture. Nice to see the 3D structural detail.
Thanks! I was going for a more traditional, sculpted look. Trying to make the surfaces reflect light and cast shadows to form the features :) Thanks for noticing!

gotham
12-03-2016, 12:35 PM
I do like the way the light plays on the features - again, very sculptural.

Tom Lapinski
12-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Excellant job creating the monster.

ShadowCory
12-04-2016, 11:24 AM
I do like the way the light plays on the features - again, very sculptural.

Excellant job creating the monster.

Thank you, thank you!

Here is the right arm, hand, and an experimental half pair of trousers. The pants have to be a bit larger. Water color or other textured papers were really too stiff for me to work with. I decided I would try just pressing regular copy paper over a hard textured surface to see if I can get the textured look I want...

elliott
12-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Really nice job on the hand and fingers Cory! Has the monster had a manicure? ;)

ShadowCory
12-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Really nice job on the hand and fingers Cory! Has the monster had a manicure? ;)

Not yet, but maybe soon :)

Here I have both arms completed, but not really attached, just taped on for now. This is as far as I could go this weekend. Maybe one more week of constructions...I hope, anyway.

ShadowCory
12-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Made a new neck, added the sternocleidomastoid muscles. Attached the arms and then started on a shirt made from tracing paper.

elliott
12-07-2016, 10:34 PM
He (It?) is definitely looking more monster-y. You're on the right track.

Burning Beard
12-07-2016, 11:28 PM
This is really turning out neat. The hands are great! It looks like you really have the clothing down too.

Beard

bigpetr
12-08-2016, 04:07 AM
Excelent. You are realy pushing paper figure modeling.

Tom Lapinski
12-08-2016, 07:44 AM
May need some bolts on each side of the neck?

gotham
12-08-2016, 08:07 AM
The progression is great to watch.

ShadowCory
12-08-2016, 07:04 PM
He (It?) is definitely looking more monster-y. You're on the right track.
This is really turning out neat. The hands are great! It looks like you really have the clothing down too.
Beard
Excelent. You are realy pushing paper figure modeling.
May need some bolts on each side of the neck?
The progression is great to watch.

Thanks! I plan on adding the bolts to the neck after I get his shirt and coat made and in place. I fear they may get in the way and get broken off if I put them on at this point.

Today I added the tissue paper skin and detailed the hands and neck.

gotham
12-09-2016, 07:15 AM
The tissue paper skin is brilliant, it really makes things look organic.

ShadowCory
12-09-2016, 07:31 PM
The tissue paper skin is brilliant, it really makes things look organic.

Thanks! I think the tissue skin worked well on the Earth vs Flying Saucers alien, not so much on Gort. I think it will be well suited on this model though.

ShadowCory
12-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Made the monster some custom pants using a regular pants cloth pattern and creating them from tracing paper. I glued the seams then turned them inside out, as if they were made from cloth.

elliott
12-11-2016, 09:03 PM
You come up with some great, common-sense and simple ideas Cory .Making the trousers the way they are really made is one. They look great from here!

ShadowCory
12-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Thank you, Elliott!

gotham
12-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Paper trousers ! Awesome.
Reminds me of being young in the 70s and making clothes for Action Man (GI Joe) out of old socks.

ShadowCory
12-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Paper trousers ! Awesome.
Reminds me of being young in the 70s and making clothes for Action Man (GI Joe) out of old socks.

Thanks! Ah yes, GI Joe....I used to put clay on his face and make him to a Planet of the Apes action figure...lol, I could only afford one action figure so he ended up being many :)

So here I have made the boots...next it's the jacket, then the neck bolts and that should wrap up the construction phase. Then comes the finish.

This iPhone 5 camera has a weird focal length...It always tends to stretch the top and bottom of the image while compressing the sides. In portrait mode, anyway. The resolution always uploads smaller than it looks on my desktop as well. For some reason my Surface seems to take less distorted and higher res images. I think I'll stick to that one from now on.

gotham
12-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Love to platform boots ! You'll have to make 2 versions of this figure - 1 being a Kiss version !

ShadowCory
12-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Hell yes!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/busites_www/kissonline/content/articles/_non_secure_images_20090904_news_dkb1_large.jpg

gotham
12-13-2016, 12:56 PM
"I wanna Rock an' Roll all night ....."

ShadowCory
12-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Gort is lending a hand in fitting the jacket :)

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/design-threads/302554d1482007190-frankensteins-monster-win_20161217_15_26_44_pro.jpg
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/design-threads/302555d1482007190-frankensteins-monster-win_20161217_15_25_32_pro.jpg

I have a nice, textured paper to transfer this jacket's pattern onto. Once I get the two halves of the jacket made, I'll add the neck bolts and begin to paint :)
This is turning out to be an adventure. Much trial and error, but I like the results.

clif52
12-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Both models are Awesome! I love the Frankenstine. Wouldn't take much of a change to make a Herman Munster version from the Munsters TV show. He is just a little goofier looking.

Vermin_King
12-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Your Frankenstein's monster is coming along well. The facial expression makes him seem like he is contemplating something.

KCinKC46
12-18-2016, 01:07 AM
Nice hands!

gotham
12-18-2016, 03:22 AM
"Everybody's talkin' 'bout the sharp dressed man"

Tom Lapinski
12-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Boris would definitely approve.

gotham
12-19-2016, 01:18 AM
Just thinking, looking at the pics again, Gort kind of looks as though he's wearing part of a dress - could he be Frank's 'bride'. Sorry, suffering lack of sleep from overwork !

ShadowCory
12-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks, everyone. I am now on to painting. I have the get the majority of the finish done before I apply the jacket.
(They do look a little bit like a wedding cake topper :) )

elliott
12-19-2016, 08:08 PM
They remind me more of Ahnuld and Danny Devito in "Twins". But seriously I can hardly wait to see the monster painted. It's gonna look great.

VinceM
12-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Made a new neck, added the sternocleidomastoid muscles. Attached the arms and then started on a shirt made from tracing paper.

I had to google "sternocleidomastoid muscles". Anatomy term for "neck muscles". Which is what I guessed it was from the post. So if I ever end up on Jeopardy and the category is "human neck anatomy", I'm ready.

Good thing I never applied for medical school. It would take me the entire 12 years just to remember how to spell sternocleidomastoid!! :eek:

P.S. Great job on the model Cory.

ShadowCory
12-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Or the "Reservoir Dogs" walking images! lol Kinda mid-stride, looking away from the camera... :)

Thanks, guys! I hope to do get a lot done on him over the holidays. Well, once everyone clears out :)

Tom Lapinski
12-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Will you be offering Frank for purchase?

ShadowCory
12-21-2016, 09:07 PM
Will you be offering Frank for purchase?
Unfortunately, I have not done a very good job of making this one reproduce-able. I mean none of my "designs" have very good plans, but I was especially errant on this one. I had to do way too much adjusting, snipping, re-drawing (all of the head, fingers and clothes were hand drawn on paper) that I grew weary of scanning, then tracing, then reprinting, then doing the whole process over again.
BUT...(Why does everyone have a big but?)...having said this, I am willing to give anyone what I do have to work from, if anyone wants to try their hand at making one for themselves.
This is what I do have:
1) The body-complete with neck, arms, legs, hands, and boots. The fingers are in there, but I used rolled tubes of paper instead of card, shaped according to what is in the design sheets.
2) The basic head- Includes ears, nose, forehead, some earlier mouth and eye parts.
3) The scaled patterns for the shirt, pants and jacket. They are made the same as if you were sewing them. I cut them out, glued the seams, then flipped them inside out.
4) I will offer my support to anyone who wants to try.
What I don't have:
1) Hair, scar and staples, jowls, chin detail, the actual eyelids I ended up using. They really all are partial disks, or very flat cones to be honest though. I could walk you through it.
2) Color. Everything is white.
3) The finger details. Simple rolled pieces of tissue paper, mod podged onto the hands. I could walk you through that too.
4) Actual instructions...

I am starting with the paint now :)

gotham
12-22-2016, 03:05 AM
Looking at the face close up and painted it really looks loke a piece if stone sculpture, the is a rough surface to the skin. Brilliant.

elliott
12-22-2016, 07:27 AM
I do declare, it looks so real I wouldn't be surprised if it started to talk. Freaked, yes. Surprised, no. Excellent work!

Vermin_King
12-22-2016, 10:55 AM
He is looking really good. Almost expect him to stick Christmas lights in his neck and start singing 'Home for the Holidays'.

ShadowCory
12-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys! I have most of the paint on him now. I am finishing up his jacket construction now.

ShadowCory
12-24-2016, 09:33 AM
The finished head. Painting the rest of his jacket now.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/design-threads/303100d1482593575-frankensteins-monster-frankpaint5.jpg

Tom Lapinski
12-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Incredible!!

Vermin_King
12-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Absolutely fantastic. Is he going to be a gift to someone?

gotham
12-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Looking nicely scary.

elliott
12-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Dang Cory! You sure know how to do it up right!

Don Boose
12-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Very impressive work, Cory. Both Gort and Frankenstein's monster are very well done.

How tall are the creatures?

Don

dusancv
12-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Great build!

ShadowCory
12-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Is he going to be a gift to someone?
Thanks, no, not a gift. I may enter it into some juried art exhibitions.
Very impressive work, Cory. Both Gort and Frankenstein's monster are very well done.

How tall are the creatures?

Don
Thanks! They are both right at 24 inches tall.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words!

Here are some shots of the finished build:

http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-50-43-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-51-05-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-51-42-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-51-27-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-53-38-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-53-54-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-54-09-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-54-45-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-55-01-pro_orig.jpg
http://rcorycollins.weebly.com/uploads/5/2/1/0/5210705/win-20161226-15-55-47-pro_orig.jpg

SCEtoAUX
12-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Excellent results. Should make a mighty fine display somewhere.:)

JohnM
12-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Excellent design and build Cory. You've achieved the crumpled clothing exceptionally well, but I have one small comment ... Do you not think it looks too clean? Break out the pastels to give it a dusting.

ShadowCory
12-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Excellent results. Should make a mighty fine display somewhere.:)
Thanks! Probably end up in my house somewhere. :)
Excellent design and build Cory. You've achieved the crumpled clothing exceptionally well, but I have one small comment ... Do you not think it looks too clean? Break out the pastels to give it a dusting.
Yes, good idea! I will do that. I did put a light gray wash on the shirt and shoes, and a dark wash on the pants and jacket. Real dust from colored chalks or pastels will do wonders I think. These pictures didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I'll probably try and find someone with a decent camera/light setup and get some better ones made.

clif52
12-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Exceptional design and build. looks like a movie studio prop.

gotham
12-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Brilliant build and paint job. I'm also going to say, just a little dirty down to add some atmosphere -Frank looks just a tad too clean.
Have you thought of a diorama display ? - I'm thinking, maybe an old tree and some grass ?

ShadowCory
12-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Exceptional design and build. looks like a movie studio prop.

Brilliant build and paint job. I'm also going to say, just a little dirty down to add some atmosphere -Frank looks just a tad too clean.
Have you thought of a diorama display ? - I'm thinking, maybe an old tree and some grass ?

Yeah, I am going with the suggestion John made, applying some pastel dust to dirty it down a little more.
I am not really crazy about doing a diorama. But, I am starting on his bride, if that counts for anything.

SCEtoAUX
12-27-2016, 02:56 PM
An Elsa Lanchester looking bride-o-monster?:)

ShadowCory
12-27-2016, 03:36 PM
An Elsa Lanchester looking bride-o-monster?:)

Yep. That's the one.

JohnM
12-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Your're gonna have to give him a smile then Cory. ;);)

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad310/jwment/s-l1000.jpg

ShadowCory
12-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Nah, my version will be from later in their relationship when they are no longer happy 😊

Bengt F
12-27-2016, 08:54 PM
What a brilliant Frankenstein's monster/ Boris Karloff figure model, ShadowCory!

Fantastic job. Looking forward to the Bride figure model, too! :)

Thanks for sharing!
All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt :rolleyes:

bigpetr
12-28-2016, 04:30 AM
Wonderfull

gotham
12-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Bride as well as Frank, forget my idea for a diorama ! What cake toppers the " happy" couple will make. Loved the film, very funny when the relationship hits the skids.

ShadowCory
01-02-2017, 12:26 PM
I am well into it now. I have a frame for the body and working on making the head look, well, look human :) It takes me quite a bit to get to the point where I am happy with the head. Still experimenting...

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/attachments/design-threads/303724d1483381540-frankensteins-monster-bridefaces.jpg