PDA

View Full Version : Modelik La-5n

birder
07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know how much time I'll be spending on this, but thought I'd start cutting and glueing. The engine is a problem, completely non visable due to forward fan like the FW 190, so was thinking of having it on a stand, but I'm not sure is good enough to display next to the plane, however have started in on it.

Yu Gyokubun
07-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Even the engine isn't clearly visible we could peek into it through the openings.....

buffalowings
07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
displaying a engine outside the aircraft requires much detailing, it'll be easier if you jut kept it in their, then again, I hate working

Don Boose
07-18-2009, 07:59 AM
It looks great so far, Glen. It is true that an external engine will come under greater scrutiny and requires more detailing, you have done such great work on engines in the past that it is probably time that you put all that skill and talent at engine crafting on display.

And then, maybe a stable of engines, beginning with a Nakajima Sakae to put alongside that Shvetsov (I'm great at conceiving vast projects for other modelers).

Don

birder
07-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks gents will try to make it up to look like the Wright knockoff it appears to have been, but will put in plane if doesn't meet standards, and if so have found a nice pic of how the panel on the side opened which would be more convincing way to show (keep it up Don I like your ideas):D

birder
07-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Pretty much done with the engine as have thought likely can display it in the model. Hope to start on the plane pretty soon too

ccoyle
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Nicely done, Glen!

Yu Gyokubun
07-19-2009, 10:30 PM
:eek:x10=saweet!!!

modelperry
07-20-2009, 05:26 AM
:eek:x10=saweet!!!

I'll second what YuG said!

greg

dansls1
07-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Nice job on the engine ;)

Don Boose
07-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Looks great, Glen! You have a way with engines -- I guess anyone who can do Napoleonic-era rigging can handle push rods and cylinder heads!

Don

GreMir
07-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for my next build (18 cylinder Homare) but you are not helping ;)
I'm more and more convinced that my engine should stay buried under the cowling so I can keep details on it to a minimum :o

birder
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank-you, thank-you for the kind words,:):):):):):) it's fun to try to make an engine a bit more convincing, although the zero gave me a general idea, the Shvetsov has Wright roots not Bristol jupiter, and not P+W, made the valve covers a bit large, but does emphasize the flat look of the Curtis-Wright type valve covers rather than P+W. Didn't do the wiring and exhaust as would need to to display, but the forward part will not be visable. Yu-san you are being too kind, I have seen your work:eek: you know! ( Mike no need to worry, you do small parts as well as anyone). I just make all the parts like an assembly line, before putting anything together, then put the cylinders on so the spacing is right, and eyeball the rest. I made pushrod holes in the motor housing and push the rods down then pull back up under the valve covers, not as hard as it sounds.:) There is a nice photo of a preserved Shvetsov engine, and may put some more detail in to resemble it a bit more??

peter taft
07-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank-you, thank-you for the kind words,:):):):):):) it's fun to try to make an engine a bit more convincing,

I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for my next build (18 cylinder Homare) but you are not helping ;)
I'm more and more convinced that my engine should stay buried under the cowling so I can keep details on it to a minimum :o

The best words here ! It's FUN too right friend, and your work proves this point, because if you weren't having FUN building it, you would be able to tell it in your work, and your work is BRILLIANT ;)

Mr Gremir - Sir... you are well prepared for anything you do, and i know you WONT keep the DETAILS to a minimum, if anything you'd want to add more.... Go for it friend :D

birder
07-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Many thanks, Peter for the kind words:)

birder
07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I started to play with the coloration on this kit, and found simply by decoloring would not loose detail and have a camo pattern in almost black and white, added back the red and detailed the panel with correct and more visable instruments. Fun! I like the "winter camo":)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2642.jpg

Yu Gyokubun
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
It's beautiful that the bright red national insignia shines in the black and white winter camo so I like it too;)

Barry
07-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Well it looks good enough for a seperate display.

birder
07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm glad you like it Yu-san!:) I hope it is accurrate enough this way as it seems to have been a possible color scheme for this plane judging by the graphics and models folks have made of the La-5. Thanks Barry, so small though I think if you make engines for display would have to scale up to see them well enough!:)

birder
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
have made some cockpit parts due some unexpected build time yesterday, here's the parts made so far

peter taft
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
have made some cockpit parts due some unexpected build time yesterday, here's the parts made so far

Well you made very good use of your unexpected build time my friend ;) - That looks very nice :)

birder
08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you Peter! As Jack Aubrey says "there's not a moment to lose":)

birder
08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Most of the cockpit finished, gunsight to go, all the stick parts were paper, and had more parts than any Hal kit stick, although not the same number of overall parts, it is a very nice kit so far!

Don Boose
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Excellent, Glen!

Don

dansls1
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Nice cockpit ;)

Texman
08-05-2009, 08:15 PM
That is coming along very nicely Glen.

birder
08-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Thxs gents, so far am impressed with this plane, although to make it in 1/144, well maybe not!:D Trying to do the gunsight, is not maybe as clear to construct as the control stick, that was cool.

bob martin
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey Glen, Lookin good:D

birder
08-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Bob!
I'm continuing today to kitbash this model, and am having alot of fun. I did have some problems with glue setting up a bit quicker than expected on the cowl, (port side), but the mechanical parts of this model are as nice as any, and really cool. Tricky building, though in places, and have not stayed totally with the kit plan, but not too far off.

bob martin
08-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Hey Glen, heard the term "Kitbash" several times. Not sure I have a true understanding what that exactly means?:o I was noticing the formers, they sorta look like balsa:confused: or is it just card board?
Looks great so far BTW:D

birder
08-07-2009, 08:41 AM
This may indeed not be the proper use of the term, but applied in this case to mean "not building the model as intended" as would be the typical way I build anything....mods, ect. Anyone like to clarify this? It is an established forum-word, and commonly used this way..at least that is how I read it:o

birder
08-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Here's a tricky part, the skin forward of the cockpit (and how much can now be seen) has side cutouts for the exhaust ports, really nice, though and goes together fine.

rickstef
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Kitbash was/is originally a plastic modeling term.

To bash kits together.

essentially taking pieces from one kit to enhance another, or take pieces from different kits, and building something other than what is intended.

To me that is what Kitbashing is

Rick

cdwheatley
08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
That's what I understood it to mean too. Great lookin' model so far by the way!

birder
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Rick and CD, maybe I'm more modifying than bashing as no parts come from other kits...(recolor, some new parts on the engine). Bob the formers are just three layers of 67# card, flattened to dry. I have never used laser cut or wood formers yet, laser cut sounds nice sometimes, though!

peter taft
08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Whatever term you use to describe what you are doing with your build - just keep doing it ! because this is WAY COOL my friend ;)

Golden Bear
08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey, Glen, nice progress with this. Getting the cockpit wrapped up and on to the things we can actually see is a big step. Laser cut formers are OK but bring their own problems. Once you've come up with a system to get your formers to the thickness that suits your build style, then the formers are a different thickness altogether. I've used 'em but wouldn't on a model that I respected like Halinski or GPM or a couple others. I haven't done wood yet because I try to do all I can with paper. We all set our own rules so do what makes you feel goooood.

I'm interested to see how this turns out after building the La-7. I don't know as much about Russian planes as I would like so I'm interested.

Carl

bob martin
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I can honestly say I've probably kitbashed about every model I've ever done:D:D:D And didn't know it:confused: Go figure:rolleyes:

"Wow Glen," love the great detail. Is there a picture of the finished plane??

Just wondered about the formers. We get these 6 pack candy bar packs which has a card board backing which is a little thicker than 3-#67, so I've been saving them for formers and reinforcement for landing gears etc. Using balsa could become expensive.

Bob

birder
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the encouraging word Peter and Bob! (Bob check out the discussions on card types, wide opinions, really. I just find what works by trial and error, but I do try what some suggest, tied into this is the glue one chooses, and give it a go!!) Carl thank you, I'm hoping it will turn out as good as your La-7!!!

birder
08-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Some progress pics of the La5 with the engine fan off, as will attach to prop, the rear star pic shows where the exhaust ends will be, and although these pics look really good, I have some goofs, the skin is rotated a bit, I'm not sure how that happened, and have knocked off part of the gunsight (I knew that was going to happen), it is photogenic though, and is just a cool looking plane model on its own, although I think the brown and green camo would distract more from the nice curves on this plane than the grey/gray?

Don Boose
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Great work, Glen. That two-toned gray scheme was very attractive, in my opinion.

Don

Wily
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
geez. Nice build!! <S>

peter taft
08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Great work, Glen. That two-toned gray scheme was very attractive, in my opinion.

Don

Agree and agree again - Really nice work thus far Glen ;)

birder
08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks Don, Wily and Peter for that, I have no complaints on this kit from Modelik (first of their's for me). I've been using acrylics for edge coloring on this, and I think it makes a difference, not only does it give a more consistant color, but also can remove remnants of the cut-line, which makes the seam less noticable. I like this plane's look and have for a long time, just trying to find a kit, I think this La5 is a great design.

birder
08-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Searching for information re the La5(FN) interestingly it seems the forward fan is actually a method for closing air from the radial when cold, and it seems to me that the blades rotated centrally to allow full airflow, disappearing from view rather than feathering. This site clearly shows the detail on the cowl opening also
La-5 cowling (http://www.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/la5/cowling/cowling.html)

peter taft
08-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Searching for information re the La5(FN) interestingly it seems the forward fan is actually a method for closing air from the radial when cold, and it seems to me that the blades rotated centrally to allow full airflow, disappearing from view rather than feathering. This site clearly shows the detail on the cowl opening also
La-5 cowling (http://www.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/la5/cowling/cowling.html)

This is a very complex mechanical system, imagine if the fan mechanics failed and stayed closed {stop air flow} = 1 cooked engine :eek: Nice find for the detailing ;)

CharlieC
08-13-2009, 04:39 AM
One of the insights I've had looking at Russian design (mostly in armour) is that their designs are most often very simple and utterly reliable. My guess is the actuating mechanism for the air flow shutters on the La-5s will be exactly that - simple and reliable.

Regards,

Charlie

dansls1
08-13-2009, 07:14 AM
This is a very complex mechanical system, imagine if the fan mechanics failed and stayed closed {stop air flow} = 1 cooked engine :eek: Nice find for the detailing ;)

I would imagine that the failure would be open, maybe something spring loaded with an actuator to close or the like.

peter taft
08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
One of the insights I've had looking at Russian design (mostly in armour) is that their designs are most often very simple and utterly reliable. My guess is the actuating mechanism for the air flow shutters on the La-5s will be exactly that - simple and reliable.

Regards,

Charlie

I would imagine that the failure would be open, maybe something spring loaded with an actuator to close or the like.

You are both probably right my friends... Is the mechanism like a LENS SHUTTER on a camera ? all connections around a main ring :confused: Just trying to visualize how all the parts would be connected to one point ! whatever the mechanism is, it's a clever thought they put in to overcome cold weather problems :)

birder
08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
However it worked it seems that the blades rotated out of sight, and must have been durable given the conditions these planes flew in. Changing topics slightly, some may be interested in this, I typed the Polish instructions using English type characters and Google translated the instructions readably well. Then printed out English instructions, I think this will be very useful!!

birder
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Sorry Peter, been working and hastily posting between things today, but I am excited about having instructions I can read!! Despite that Polish letters include quite a few not on the typical English keyboard the translation comes across quite well. While working today typed as much as able and there is a Polish co-worker who checked the translation and it looks reasonably good. I also have quite a few captions for Cleopatra that I can translate also, this really is a great help. I'm not good at typing particularly, so slow so far, but this is really cool!

birder
08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Some progress on the airplane today, exhaust ports and cover, forward cockpit, working on panels for engine

peter taft
08-15-2009, 04:40 AM
Some progress on the airplane today, exhaust ports and cover, forward cockpit, working on panels for engine

This is really starting to take shape my friend and still looking sweet and clean - the cockpit is awesome, you feel like you could climb in and use it, very nicely done :)

Don Boose
08-15-2009, 05:56 AM
It looks great, Glen! Winning combination of a good-looking airplane, an appealing color scheme, and outstanding craftsmanship.

Don

birder
08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Peter and Don you guys are too kind.. I had some issues with the lower seams and paint, which I'm mysteriously not photographing...:rolleyes: However, this still goes together pretty well, and hopefully can be confident enough about the eventual outcome to spend more time on my beloved Cleopatter, who has not been gathering dust nor proceeding rapidly.:p

Barry
08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Looks good Glen

birder
08-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks Barry, do appreciate you dropping in!:) Definately not a ship, but researching to do on Cleo, and decisions on how much rigging to include I'm trying to figure how many blocks and the rough run of the lines (even though the standing rigging isn't completed yet!)

redhorse
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
It is looking really good, and those last two shots look great. The photography there is wonderful!

birder
08-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks Jim, just a "side model" as I think you know what I mean... itchin to do planes all the time.. here's wing bones and sitting in place to give a sense of scale and dihedralhttp://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2683.jpg

Amazyah
08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Schweeet!
Nice progress, clean and precise!
And great pics too! Thanks!

Russell

birder
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks Russ it is too much fun to put down!

Don Boose
08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
It's terrific, Glen. One of your best builds yet.

Don

birder
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks Don it is a pretty styled plane and is not modeled much in card that I see, so having alot of fun with it. It is the first plane I've used acrylics this much for edge coloring and also the first model to extensively use Duco acetone based glue, which is better for putting the skins on than elmers, though structural parts elmers is fine. Laminating the wing formers was duco as well as much less distortion and then used white glue to assemble.

Ron0909
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Glen,
This one is being archived so that I can follow along in your footsteps when I go to build it. I haven't summoned up the fortitude to cut the paper yet :)

Thanks for bringing us along on this build. It's quite amazing :)

Ron

Werner Smuts
08-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Freaken awesome model!!!!

birder
08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Ron from what I see I don't see any reason to hold off cuttin' and gluin', I do prefer this to the Wak La7. I couldn't find a US distributer of the Answer La7, but as far as La5 goes this is the kit I think. It may be a better kit than the Answer kit, I don't know. Thank you Werner, kind of you!

birder
08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
I failed to mention Greg's Fly La5n, if Greg is reading this; how was that kit?

bob martin
08-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Hey Glen:) Been gone a couple weeks and trying to catch up. Looks like it's coming along great.;) Great Job!:D

birder
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks Bob and congrats (saw your post at fg forum):)

bob martin
08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks Glen:) The kids got me a plaque sometime ago that reads:
"With age comes wisdom....but not a hell of a lot else".:rolleyes: They didn't tell me about the Grand Kids.:eek: I guess I missed out on the wisdom too:D

birder
10-04-2009, 01:23 PM
One area of construction on this one that I don't prefer the style of are the forward wing root region, which is made of separate peices to form the complex shape. There are formers under these joints, but rather than glue the peices to the formers, I chose to form the wing parts first, then fit to the skeleton wing, bond paper and elmers sparingly used worked well and should be flexible enough to form the rest of the shape
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2730.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2731.jpg

birder
10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
For anyone contemplating this model, the wing parts worked fine, and the wheel wells are awesome! The last trim part of the wells runs forward and becomes the front peice of the wing fairing! That is really cool, unique and fun paper engineering to build.:) I didn't get the notion of what was happening until I glued it on;)

Don Boose
10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Checking back in on this one, Glen. Looks good.

Don

birder
10-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Spent some time making the flaps, not bad design there at all, had some trouble with the wing fairings, not perfect, but ok, and have not painted the edges yet of the wings or built the ailerons..or wingtips.

Clashster
10-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Beautiful work!

peter taft
10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Beautiful work!

Absolutely agree ;)

B-Manic
10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
The fairings look pretty good to me.

birder
10-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Thank you Chris Peter and Douglas! I'm moving on to the stabs so if they go on ok will be in the home stretch on this one, gear and wheels, prop and she'll be about done.:D:D

bob martin
10-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Lookin Really Great Glen:D

Don Boose
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Excellent, Glen!

Don

mgolovanov
10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Interesting endeavour. Colors seem adequate but plant painted aircraft had "camuflage 1943" borders on upper surfaces straightforward and blurred as shown in the attached image (an official specification to the right, a typical application on the left)

birder
10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Bob, Don and for this additional info mgolovanov! Actually I didn't recolor the Modelik but just removed the color (almost grayscale) and just replaced the red. Quick, but didn't remove the surface details of the original, which is why no change to the color pattern. I liked this model by Lukasz, especially when I saw his beta build pictures in the kit. Admittedly it is an early design for him, but it can be made into a pretty nice model:) It would require a more extensive repaint to be fully accurate historically probably. Thanks for looking in on this mgolovanov your airplanes are an inspiration;)

birder
10-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, nice to have a few days to work on this airplane, I think it is a great WWII plane, my appreciation has just grown from the little 1/50 Marek, now to this 1/33. This is as far as I could get on the few days off, not much modeling time now so here's progress update

Ron0909
10-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Glen, It's looking magnificent! I only hope that when I need to build up a cowling like that I get half as good a result :) We'll need to see complete walk-around shots when you're finished right?

Ron

birder
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Sure thing Ron, and thank you, I'm sure you could do this cowling every bit as well! (this is a photogenic airplane:D) Lots of little things to do but will have to wait..

Michael Mash
10-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I had to get a look at your "aircraft" work Glen.
Excellent looking warbird!
Mike

birder
10-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for that Mike, just can't make myself stop making airplanes..:)

birder
10-21-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm still tinkering with this, so today put on wingtips and tried to show the appearance of tread on the main tires, with strips on paper glued on then painted, although I think still need another coat.

Barry
10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Excellent job Glen

birder
10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks Barry:) Nice of you to drop in on this one! It has been a fun build.;)

Don Boose
10-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Excellent.

The 3/4 rear shot is impressive.

Don

GreMir
10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
I like the look of this plane, have to see if Japanese ever captured one :D

birder
10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Don!! It is a pretty plane to my eye with that big radial up front and nice lines. Hope to see pics from the get-together!:) Don we have winter birds arriving and had a scoter on the lake(White-winged) you are the first birder I've told about that! About 30 Buffleheads, Horned grebes
in winter colors, Common loons same, Ring necked duck by the dock eating bugs off the water with the Mallards!
Heh, Mike I don't know anything about that..trying to imagine a way that could happen..Russian planes flew against the Japanese over China early in the war, but predates this aircraft by a few years...:)

Don Boose
10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
The first white-throated sparrow of the season flew into the back garden yesterday, so winter is on the way.

Don

Ashrunner
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Great build on the La-5, Birder...

Four inches of snow three weeks ago, freezing rain a week ago, and the "Snow birds" pecking around the feeders for a couple of weeks prove winter is on the way here 8v) Oh...the Snow birds are the Dark-eyed Juncos.

Haven't gone looking for any shorebirds yet.

CharlieC
10-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I like the look of this plane, have to see if Japanese ever captured one :D

The Japanese certainly acquired an LaGG-3, the La-5 predecessor, from a defector. I doubt whether the La-5 was deployed to the East - the Russians seemed content to keep older weaponry in the East until the end of the war when they invaded Manchuria. For example the last BT tanks in service with the Red Army were in the East.

Four inches of snow three weeks ago, freezing rain a week ago, and the "Snow birds" pecking around the feeders for a couple of weeks prove winter is on the way here 8v) Oh...the Snow birds are the Dark-eyed Juncos.

Summer's coming in the other hemisphere - we've had a family of Pied Butcherbirds move in - they've learned that raiding the cat's bowl for biscuits is a cheap feed. The local gang of Noisy Miners is quite put out by the Butcherbirds.

Regards,

Charlie

mikula
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
?? ?

Don Boose
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
We also call the dark-eyed juncos "snowbirds." They should start showing up in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, soon.

I've seen photos of the LaGG-3 in Japanese markings, usually along with a captured Brewster Buffalo and P-40. I'd love to see a repaint of the 1/48 Marek LaGG-3 in Japanese markings.

Don

birder
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM
That's cool for Mike a LaGG! I did see pictures of a captured A5m with Russian markings, too. Thanks Ash any new pictures lately? Saw the scoter again today, a few loons and dc cormorants. We don't have any shorebirds now, moved through already, but ducks are just getting good. Golden-crowned kinglets around the house in the old lilacs, and a Tounsend's solitaire a couple days ago. Seeing Scoters and cormorants here seems very odd being 300 miles from the seacoast.:)

birder
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Charlie I envy both the coming of warm weather and those wonderful birds.

GreMir
10-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Sorry to dissapoint you guys - I like the La-5/7 idea, but the LaGG-3 does not appeal to me...