PDA

View Full Version : A fugitive from Zealot - is this welcome here?

Wily
07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey.

I'm "Wily" from Zealot.

Back there, I'd post my WW2 blog updates and a few of them didn't seem to mind.

I'm a cardmodeler...but the blog updates have nothing to do with cardmodeling. I just posted them here because I figured you all were wingnuts like me.

WWII Fighter Plane Profiles (http://www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com)

Tell me now if this is unwelcome and...I won't. do. it. again. :)

Don Boose
07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't speak for the others, but if "wingnut" in this context refers to a passion for airplanes and aviation history rather than political ideology, then I for one am glad to have you lead us to this kind of work.

I would think that it would easily fit into the "other things we make and do" category, especially as the kind of images and information you provide add to our knowledge of the aircraft we model.

Of course, I am one of the worst offenders in terms of weighing in on build threads with non-modelling historical background information, but I trust that Dan and co will provide an authoritative view.

Don

Wily
07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Don -

Well...thank you for your tacit welcome.

However, I'm not here to raise hackles or ire. But, I am very much aware that my experiences are novel and enjoy sharing them with others.

Regardless, I'll follow the wishes of the admin and post my modeling stuff too.

Thank you.

<S>

PS - Yes, wingnut is aviation related. I'm apolitical.

redhorse
07-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I can't see why that would raise any hackles, it's very interesting!

rickstef
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
as Referee Mills Lane in the MTV series Celebrity Deathmatch would say when ruling on a move or attack, "I'll allow it!"

Rick

dansls1
07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I suppose I fit the wingnut moniker in 2 ways then - as it's also used as a nickname for rabid Detroit Red Wings fans - and I fit that category in addition to the WW2 airplane fanatic one ;)
I had ran across your blog previously but I admit I didn't save it as a favorite and follow every update yet. Now that you are posting here, I will try and be more diligent about keeping up with it as I also find it very interesting (and certainly have no issues with you posting about updates).

elliott
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Wily, I remember you from there and am delighted to see you over here. The stories and drawings you post are fascinating. Many of the men who fought in WW2 are passing on every day and anything that can be done to document their actions and memories before they are lost is welcome in my book. Not that anyone reads my book...... ;)

silveroxide
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome wingnut, You are clear for landing on runway 1. Crosswinds are gentle and we are ready for your approach, have a nice stay with us and come back often, Bring pics.

Wily
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Thank you for the welcome! It has made my night, actually. :)

Right now, I'm doing the Me(Bf)-109G6/R6 as flown by Kyossi Karhila of the Finnish Air Force. Karhila is aware...and I hope to get a proof to him within a few weeks.

Are there any Finnish 109G6/R6 cardmodel kits available?

Stev0
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I love your artwork.

I would like to afford prints to put on my wall.

As for Zealot, it seems they only know how to make money and be rude if anyone questions their policy.

To give you an idea about how ignorant the admins are about our hobby, they are running a month long contest to build models (anything plastic to paper) and the prizes are 2 old plastic AMT ERTL model kits.

Just lame.

outersketcher
07-29-2009, 02:10 PM
I like your stuff... you add a touch of humanity and grace to the the old birds and their pilots.

The drawings arn't bad either! ; )

David

bf109
07-29-2009, 02:58 PM
welcome willy
i followed your threads over at zflop i'm love ww2 planes 2

so show me your profiles !! :) oh and stories they where always interesting

Maltedfalcon
07-29-2009, 03:30 PM
how can anything that has excellent pictures of airplanes and sourced material for modeling authenticity not be considered good for papermodeling.

Love it!

nothing
07-29-2009, 09:00 PM
i followed your thread from "there" as well. i am glad you posted here so i can keep up with your progress. love what you do!

Darwin
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Wily, we have a references forum that such material fits well in.....great stuff on your site.

modelperry
07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I love your artwork.

I would like to afford prints to put on my wall.

As for Zealot, it seems they only know how to make money and be rude if anyone questions their policy.

To give you an idea about how ignorant the admins are about our hobby, they are running a month long contest to build models (anything plastic to paper) and the prizes are 2 old plastic AMT ERTL model kits.

Just lame.

I just couldn't help myself with this one and got myself banned for the following response to the "shark":

Guess no one's interested...Probably the prize is a bit hokey but I thought someone might want them (for free). Don't know if I'll let this contest stay up if nobody's interested. Guess I'll need to invest in a better prize. I'll give it another week...I'm actually embarrassed by the lack of interest.:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Why would anyone be interested? The prize is beyond hokey. Offer up something from Tamiya, Trumpeter or Dragon and you might have some bites from plastic builders. As for us card builders, we have better things to do elsewhere on other more friendly less restrictive forums with more interesting prizes, including just admiration from our peers.
;)

Greg

surfduke
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Welcome you are 5 by 5! Keep the jive alive!

Surfduke

doctormax
07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
keep posting and keep enjoying what your doing as there was lots on zealot that liked your stuff..

bf109
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
greg i was banned for something like that, just wanted to say this about your comment to shark : HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:D:D:D:D:D:D

whulsey
08-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Been catching up on posts that I've missed due to being out of town, work, etc. More into cars then planes, but believe you can never have too much reference (probably why I read more then I build) of anything that can be a possible modeling subject.

cdavenport
08-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for coming over here, Wily, because I had forgotten that I was reading your blog from my old account at Z. It's great to have your posts and artwork again. Wingnut, aerophile, flyboy, whatever; it's all good to me!