PDA

View Full Version : P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
A short interlude between other projects.

Thought it might be quick and easy to make a few small models for presentations - wrong. The time it takes me to build is determined by the number of parts, their complexity in cutting/forming/assembling, and is inversely related to the size (obvious close work issues - I need to borrow KGLala's, Phil's, or Obi's fingers). For the presentos I did some of the simple gliders instead (found on the internet section, Neato Gliders thread).

I had the P-51 printed so, throwing judgement to the wind, I pressed on.

Score then cut. You can cut out all the FG parts at once - there aren't enough to make it confusing later and I still have the paper with the parts punched out to refer back to if needed (not so far). Do label right-left/port-starboard for paired parts (top-bottom, fore-aft, etc.).

Everything that needs it get pre-shaped - creased or curved. The little flared edges above the wing slots were just teased into shape by repeatedly squeezing and bending with the tweezers.

This one builds the wings by attaching the leading edge. This is required by the design since the leading edge is not straight (can't fold it) but the trailing edge is. A bit of work with the high tech alignment fixtures and the wing is set and rigged.

Some more tweezer work to assemble the bits. I attached the wing root fairings at the aft end first, then stretched them forward and secured the middle portion. Repeat for other side. Next, pull into place and secure the front (repeat other side). I left the bottom edge of the fairing loose to float on the wing. This fairing has no complex curve to it, so there is no problem with it buckling. It has a simple curve and twist around the wing root.

And there she is.

The only "new" trick (I probably read it on one y'all's blogs) was used to close the gores on the spinner. I smeared glue inside/between the gores, pushed them approximately closed with the toothpick, then used progressively smaller holes from a drill gauge to force the tip round and closed. A little press and twist, switch to next smaller hole, repeat ...

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I did say I built it smaller? 50% of the regular FG so that would make it 1:120.

At this scale I use plain 20# bond paper. It's plenty sturdy and curves fine, but does require care when bending. Scoring bends is needed (and you have to "blunt point" score unless you are confident you can cut half-way through a sheet of paper with your knife; then again, based on builds posted some of you do have that skill).

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Note for next time, print off a screen shot from Google Earth (20,000 ft?) for the base graphic.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 08:16 AM
For all the new arrivals looking for a first project in paper - the FG-type airplanes are a great choice. You get a good result and practice in all the various "chores" except for fitting bulkheads/formers. Once you've got the cutting, folding, bending, and gluing down - and have something decent to show for it - press on to the more challenging models.

Yogi (keepin' it simple myself)

Golden Bear
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Yes, I also call that small. Good and nice work on it, man. I've never built a FG model - didn't discover them until after I had been building Halinski and GPM - but it does seem to be a great source of models at a good complexity level for learners.

I recently stumbled across one of the instruction sheets that Wilhelmshaven used to give away with their kits; just basic instructions on forming, bending, gluing etc. They used to have a little cartoon that I would like to post if I could find it. It showed two children in a hobby shop with a man in the background asking for a huge model from the shopkeeper. One of the children is saying, "You can tell he is a beginner!" The idea being to work on projects that stretch your skills but don't exceed them.

Carl

Wyvern
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Looks great, Yogi!

Wily
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Nice FG kit!! :) <S>

Alcides
09-04-2009, 09:09 AM
A short interlude between other projects.

Score then cut. You can cut out all the FG parts at once - there aren't enough to make it confusing later and I still have the paper with the parts punched out to refer back to if needed (not so far). Do label right-left/port-starboard for paired parts (top-bottom, fore-aft, etc.).

Well you are very gifted I'm just cut the necessary parts or I'm going to lost some piece :o

Your build looks very nice and clean, I've to try some FG in small scale.

Regards
Alcides

rmks2000
09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Nice job. I recently built one of the FG P-51 racers - the Samauri. One thing different is that the spinner has no gores. It's a simple cone, which is odd because I thought that John Dell designed both the racer and warplane series. The air scoop was a little fiddly for me. I also mistakenly mounted the wing fairings with the wider end at the front.

hawkman67
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
John Dell did design the racer set and the newer set of fighters, and they have the petal spinner layout. Very nice P-51 Yogi, and in smaller size too. I'll have some pics of the My EC-47 up this weekend .. finally, had to fight for my turn with the camera,lol
Jeff

Texman
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Yyeessss, I feel another coming to the dark side....

Don Boose
09-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Fine little model, Yogi! You're really on a roll and I'm enjoying every one of your model build threads.

Don

Retired_for_now
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry Ray - I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

But thanks all. Happy to oblige (though, Don, I really should be writing that **** article, and I still have a monograph from JSOU to review).

Yogi