PDA

View Full Version : Maly 7-8/2003 AH-64 Apache

Moshe
09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone,

After a ship and two vehicles, it's the air time. The Apache arrived a little over a week ago and jumped right away to the top of the pile :D
The kit looks like as computer generated and nicely colored, except the cockpit that is mostly black/dark gray, including the pilots seats and belts.
Can't see much of them in the pictures.

So far I completed the fuselage. I made two mistakes but managed to undo the damage. part#6, the skin that is to be glued under the cockpits is about 2mm longer than the cockpit frame. I'll leave the nose part unglued until after I install the canopies, and than it'll be easier to fix this problem.

Enjoy.

Gharbad
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Ooo I've been wanting to build this for years but never got to it. Can't wait to see how it goes. Looking great so far, hardly think it's a Maly :D

member_3
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow, that's looks great so far, Moshe! I have this one in my stack somewhere - I might have to look for it now...

rmks2000
09-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I have this one too. Glad to see someone started it. Could the former thickness be the reason that the cockpit is shorter than the skin?

kenlwest
09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't think the interior is too dark. With the canopies added, it will look really good. Nice job so far!

Ken

GreMir
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Man, you are quick :eek:
Great work!

Barry
09-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Looks great Moshe

Ron0909
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Moshe,
That's stunning! So it's good to say that the overall fit is good?
I can't wait to see the rest :)

Ron

Papercut
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Doing a great job and too think this is a Maly kit, just goes to show they can be built to a high degree.:DRick

silveroxide
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Beautiful cockpit. They look good to me. and I love cockpits. They give a model definition. When I build a model without a cockpit, I attempt to hash one up by scratch building one. Beautifully done, will keep an eye out for this one.

Moshe
09-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Since I do not understand Polish, I am using only the diagrams and trying to follow them strictly in order. I could "add" a gap between the rear instrument panel and the front seat, but unless it's absolutely necessary I try not to add/change a kit.

So far the fit is okay and I need only to cut the two adjoining formers exactly the same. I do not like so much the butt glue method, but when I tried to use gluing strips with one former on two parts Maly's A-10 it did not come out so good and I returned to the butt glue method there. That kit b.t.w. is still waiting to be completed.

shawnr5
09-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Whatever shortcomings the kit may have aside, your build looks great.

Moshe
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Small progress on the nose and tail. Next will be the vertical stabilizer.

member_3
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Very crisp and clean, Moshe! I love that mini clamp being used on the tail.

Moshe
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Ron. I have two of these very useful hair clamps and they are with me about 40 years already (the only card modeling tools that lasted that long with me). My mother had plenty of them, and the first time I saw them, I grabbed them and never gave back :D

Foxbat
09-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Got that Apache as well, so I'm following your thread with big interest. Nice and clean build, Moshe! :)

Sergey

member_3
09-15-2009, 06:16 AM
<<Door slams as the Old Troll heads out the door to the closet womens hair accessory store...>>

Moshe
09-15-2009, 07:48 AM
<<Door slams as the Old Troll heads out the door to the closet womens hair accessory store...>>

Ron, If you are looking for hair clamps as mine, you will need a time machine :D The other halves do not use this kind anymore.

member_3
09-15-2009, 08:11 AM
<<Returns home from unsuccessful search...heavy sigh>>

Apparently that is the case but it has given me some ideas for making some mini and micro clamps.

conchhouse727
10-17-2009, 11:42 AM
patience is a vertue my friend. All looks great so far can't wait to see the finished project. Loved the pics, had to go out and purchase one for myself.When I received it I was amazed! by the complexity & Detail. On that note cockpit looks great keep up the good work.

Moshe
10-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Construction slowed down a little. Finished the cockpit doors and started with the left wheel strut. When I have at least 10 pictures I'll show them. Now I accumulated only 6-7 pictures.

Moshe
11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone,

I'll take a short break from this kit. No assembly problems, just feel like doing another kit right now and I also need to add shelves because the completed kits are piled one on top of the other. Here are the pictures of what I did so far.
The first picture shows, what you'll not see in the instruction diagrams. I had to look at the I.A.F.s magazine's 1/50 Apache, for directions, how to assemble the vertical rudder. I hope I did it right. And I almost finished the left wheel housing, when the bell rang for the break :)