PDA

View Full Version : F-14 loaded with bombs

Moshe
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I received yesterday two Halinski kits, the F-14 and F-16. Whenever I get to build the F-14, I'd like to build it loaded with bombs as seen in the attached pictures, instead of the Phoenix missiles. I searched the net and found many pictures, that show one bomb per weapon rail. But non of them shows how multiple bombs are attached to the aircraft. The closest ones that I found show 14 Mk-82 Sneakeye and 6 bombs. The 3rd picture shows only 4 bombs, one per rail. Would anyone know how are they attached to the weapon rails, that carry one missile on an air-to-air missions? It could be that they are attached to TERs (two bombs per TER), but it's not clear to me

Thanks.

rickstef
10-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Moshe,

I will check some of my references and get back to you

Rick

member_3
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Can't help much other than the F-14D was the bomb carrier (plus some upgraded F-14A and F-14B models.) Most of the photos and references indicate that "smart bombs" were the preferred ordnance in conjunction with a laser designator pod. The F-14 bombers were certified for the Mk 80 series bombs but I have been unable to find any load-out tables or other photos. Good luck on your search!

GreMir
10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Maybe this wil help HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft! (http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail.htm)
Look for Air-to Ground Ammunition and follow links for specific types of bombs to see photos.

Moshe
10-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe this wil help HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft! (http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail.htm)
Look for Air-to Ground Ammunition and follow links for specific types of bombs to see photos.

Thanks Rick.
Mike, this was one of the first links that I found, and I got there many pictures, including the three above. I sent an e-mail to the owner of this site. Hope he'll help me.

shrike
10-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Do a search for 'bombcat' and 'bombcat load out' to find a little more info.

Moshe
10-08-2009, 06:54 AM
For all interested, about F-14's ground attack capabilities.

Yesterday, I contacted the F-14 Tomcat association's forum admin with this question and here is his answer:

Moshe,
THe picture you sent me is of an early test configuration from a single aircraft at pax River used to experiment with air-to-ground loads in late 70s. There were issues with proper separation so it was never fielded. Later in 1990-1991, the Phoenix rails were used to mount BRU type bomb racks so the maximum for the A, B and D was 4 bombs.

Cheers, HJ
Dave Parsons"
Hey Joe"

A bit disappointing, but I'll get over it. Or, I could install there, four TERs with eight bombs,
instead of the four bombs he mentioned :cool:

rickstef
10-08-2009, 07:37 AM
You could always model JDAMs, or Paveway laser guided bombs, one of my books shows both pretty clearly, the Mk. 82's were carried, but only in the number mentioned your email

Rick

Moshe
10-08-2009, 07:42 AM
You could always model JDAMs, or Paveway laser guided bombs, one of my books shows both pretty clearly, the Mk. 82's were carried, but only in the number mentioned your email

Rick

Yes, I have many pictures of single mounted bombs. But, the more the better. Anyway, I have several other kits lined up ahead of this one.

Moshe
10-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I decided to hijack this thread away from me :D and post another help request here. The Halinski kit comes without the two external fuel tanks and that's a little disappointing, because he put so much work into this kit.

I looked around the net for other F-14 kits, to check if they have those tanks, but did not find anything. I found only build reviews of Maly's, but it's without the fuel tanks. Did not find build reviews for ModelCard, ModelFan and FlyModel. And also I did not find any documentation regarding them on the net.

If anyone has any of these kits, can you tell me if they have the external fuel tanks? Or if you know of a build review or pictures of the completed kits.

I know that there are reference manuals of this aircraft on the net, but I do not know what search phrases I should use. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Foxbat
10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Hello Moshe
I've found the photos of Black Tomcat. Looks like it doesn't have external fuel tanks. But you can ask the topicstarter

Kartonbau.de - Alles rund um's Kartonmodell... | Galerie | F-14 BlackTomcat, Fly 121, 1:33 (http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=20927)

rickstef
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Moshe,

you could use the term Load Out, it should get some hits.

You also might want to look at the Bombcat version of the Tomcat, those versions had Lantrin pods and carried the JDAM and Paveway bombs

Rick

Moshe
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. ModelFan's kit has the external fuel tanks.
Shopping time now :)

Moshe
10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi everyone,

A few minutes ago, I received an e-mail from the F-14 association forum's admin, with the info that I was looking for. I could not find it on the net because it was not there, once the bomber program was canceled, they got rid of most of the data. He got the drawings from a friend who used to work on this program. The attached image shows 14 Mk-82's, which I'll convert to GBU-12. He also sent me images of the BRU's (bomb rack unit) and I'll have to scratch build them and borrow the LANTIRN from the F-15E kit.

My schedule is full for the next decade :D