PDA

View Full Version : FGMM 1938 Crosby CR 4

rockpaperscissor
03-08-2010, 07:57 AM
For my Fiddlers Green Modelling Madness entry I chose to build the Crosby CR 4 racing airplane. https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Crosby-CR3-Racer.html On the FG web site, it's advertised as the CR 3, but the airplane's registration numbers say otherwise. As published, Chip's model is sort of an amalgm of the 1936 CR 3 and 1938 CR 4 with elements of both airplanes, so some modifications are required to make the model correct.

Even though it's an (probably deceptively) easy model, the build will present me with an opportunity to test myself a bit with a few first time techniques and materials: glossy photo paper, creation of a bubble canopy, split flaps, and a simple scratch interior.

In process photos to come.

jagolden01
03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice pick, Don.
This contest is going to be great!

I think you're right [(probably deceptively) easy model]. The funky shape of the cowling looks like it will take some work.
The other mods you're planning sound like they'll really snap it up!

rmks2000
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I've done a few of the FG racers in the past. The cowlings really aren't too hard, but just need a little care to shape. The Racer series in general are designed well.

cjwalas
03-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Looks like a good choice, Don. I'll bet the glossy paper will make a huge difference.
I agree that this contest looks like it should be a good one!
Chris

lepercan
03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Try glossy brochure and flyer paper, it's worked well for me and glues well.

rockpaperscissor
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I printed it out on glossy photopaper Chris, and you are right - it makes a huge difference. I've never seen such detail and crispness. If the CR 4 comes out good, I may build another racer just so I have an excuse to use the paper again :D