PDA

View Full Version : Fgmm p-38

AndyC
04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Scaled to 1/48. Thus far, hard to get all of the pieces aligned properly. I think this is an older hand-drawn kit. The tail booms were a nightmare.
43989 43990 43991
Will have clear canopy, prop disks, guns in nose section..etc.(hopefully)

wag
04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
This is one I'd like to try purely as a challenge. The Lightning is one of the most complex shapes ever made into an airplane. I'll be watching closely.
Wayne

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm very curious to see how this one comes out. It has quite a reputation for fit issues, but it looks like you're whipping it into shape nicely!
Chris

2Kamser
04-27-2010, 03:37 PM
it gave me the fits :D
i tried it on at normal print size, but had fitting problems here and there
i learned that the front end of the booms should be switched to make it fit better
i had problems getting the booms fit the wings right and at the same time get the rear wing to sit properly, so finally i scrapped it before i learned all this vital info
have reprinted again but not sure when i will do it again
so i'll too be watching this to learn

AndyC
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
This model is just a nightmare to build. It seems that every part is almost exactly 1/16 inch off from it's match. The booms are a giant headache from front to end. The cowel when finished is exactly 1/16th bigger in diameter than the boom forcing me to put two wraps of 67# cover around it to help keep it centered. If not, the wing holes will not line up..my thoughts are if I ever build this model again(doubtful), the booms should be cut into two sections, each section rolled/glued then put the boom together. Trying to roll and glue that entire boom as one section is nasty. The wings - the right wing is almost 1/16th inch longer than the left. The curve of the finished wing at the root doen not even come close to matching the curve on the center nacelle. Trying to cut the roots to match this is almost impossible.
I got as close as I could with the cutting and ended up with a huge piece of wing missing at the rear. I did some patching now, I'm stuck as to how to make it look decent...I still need to add silkspan to wing roots to seal the nasty gaps. I'm chalking this up to a learning experience. I wanted to try some new things with adding guns and canopy methods so this is now the model to try it on. It will be hanging in the closet-o-shame when it's finished. Very aggrevating.

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Now I'm even more intrigued than before! I think models like this are the most rewarding, when and IF you can turn them into something decent. Don't give up! We're rooting for you!
Chris

AndyC
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Oh, I'm not going to sh*t-can it. I'm going to finish it one way or another. I'm thinking of using some water color paints to stain the new sections to sorta match the blu-ish/silver color on the rest of the wings....we'll see. My son suggested lighting it on fire and calling it battle damage...lol

AndyC
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, after some coloring and filling it's not terrible...not good but not terrible.

The center nacelle and wings with some coloring on the patches and the gaps filled with my super filler...( mix of white glue, baking soda and a few drops of water coler paint).

Dry-fitting the booms to see what kind of unholy gaps and mis-alignments I will end up with. I'm going to have to tweak the booms a bit to acount for the dihedral...lovely.

May not need the silkspan with the colored filler I used...need to let it completely dry to see.

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Really coming together well, Andy. Better than I expected and I can't wait to see how it all turns out when it's finished.
Chris

AndyC
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks Chris. It should look a bit better after I add the missing panel lines and trim the rear ends of the wings. I'm cutting the canopy while the wings and nacelle dry.

AndyC
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Well, this is about how I am feeling with this model at the moment...

But seriously...the canopy came out fairly well. One thing had to turn out right...
44032 44033
More later....

murphyaa
04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
This one is on the top of my list of redesigns when I can get back into it. The Lightning is my favorite WWII plane, and I want it represented properly in the FG lineup. After that, the Tomcat.

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 08:59 PM
That canopy looks great! Hope you've rounded the bend on this one and the rest will just fall together by itself! ....well, we can dream, can't we?

This and the P-47 are the American fighters I'd really love to see brought up to current FG standards. While these early designs are great for what they are/were, the current standard of FG models is a great place to be; still simple and relatively easy models to build with plenty of room to take them to the next level.
Chris

AndyC
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, sort of rounding the bend. Finished some details on the booms and nacelle. I'm getting ready to roll the MGs for the nose and trim the center tail section to fit the booms...lol. As for the Jug, it's my #1 favorite plane of any and I am holding my breath for a re-issue complete with cockpit, bombs/drop tanks and HVARs. I'm looking everywhere for a good model of it and have only found the PMI kit. I would get it but I haven't heard anything about it good or bad so, I'm holding out for an FG comback....

AndyC
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Some progress today.

Nose ready for guns.

I decided to open the vents on both sides of each boom for a bit of detail. I'm going to wash them with black later.

One boom with the intakes attached.

Working out the horizontal stab now. Needs to be trimed a bit. May make a new one from scratch though......

AndyC
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
OK, little more progress. While the new horizontal stab is drying, the gun barrels have been rolled(unrolled), glued, painted and installed.
44075 44076 44077
I really liked the idea of just unwrapping a lolli-pop stick for tubes so....I bought a bag of tootsie-pops and set my daughter to work! man was she happy!:D I had to remind her "Don't eat the sticks!".

Wyvern
04-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Looking good, Andy!

Wyvern

KCStephens
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
She's coming together nicely despite the poor fit and other design issues. You are doing a top-notch job.

milenio3
04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I really liked the idea of just unwrapping a lolli-pop stick for tubes so....I bought a bag of tootsie-pops and set my daughter to work! man was she happy!:D I had to remind her "Don't eat the sticks!".

Very rewarding when your kids are willing to help... one suggesting to setting it on fire... the other in providing the necessary material to not set it on fire.

Keep it up man, just a breath (or a dragon's burp) to finish it!

rickstef
04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
If you visit your local Craft store, check out the Wedding Candy making aisle

they have bags of paper lollipop sticks for usually under a buck or two

murphyaa
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I usually use toothpicks for the machine guns, or, as I call them "rounded pieces of 700lb cardstock"

AndyC
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the support guys! This has been one tough nut to build. I'm past the worst of it now and just have to accept that it is what it is and I've done what I can with what I have. Here's some shots of the finished nacelle and booms.

Like I said...It's not great work by any stretch. It shall hang in thy closet-o-shame....

AndyC
04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Well, little more progress on finishing touiches for this wreck.

Prop disk assemblies and canopy with antenna wires.

Finished prop disk.

Almost finished prop disk.

Will be wrapping it up soon....thankfully:D

cdwheatley
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey Andy, despite the fact that this is such an old kit and you've loads of fit problems with it, it actually looks REALLY good! I think you've done a great job :).

cjwalas
04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I agree. It looks darn good all things considered!
Chris

AndyC
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks CD! I just don't feel good about it. The entire build was plagued from the start. I had to improvise everywhere. With that said.....

This will be if for the FG builds for me for a while. I still have a Fokker DVIII that I might build before the contest ends...but I have a Nobi/Thai Paperworks kit that I am anxious to dig into at the moment while I have the time.:D

AndyC
04-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree. It looks darn good all things considered!
Chris
Thanks. It was tough and I have a headache....slowly starting to go away now...I actually hung it up in my sons room with the FW 190.

cjwalas
04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
That came out way better than I thought it would. Congratulations on conquering this particular challenge. I think you've done something here that most of would never accomplish... we'd have tossed it and gotten a model out of it.
Chris

AndyC
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
That came out way better than I thought it would. Congratulations on conquering this particular challenge. I think you've done something here that most of would never accomplish... we'd have tossed it and gotten a model out of it.
Chris
Thanks! I have binned a few models lately 3 FG corsairs and 4 FG stukas to be exact. Those darned inverted gull wings are my stopping blocks...I ruine every set every time. I get so mad, I just bin the whole model and move on...

airdave
04-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I usually use toothpicks for the machine guns, or, as I call them "rounded pieces of 700lb cardstock"

we are attempting to clarify this issue...I think you need restate as "rounded pieces of 700lb PAPERstock"

.................................................. ..................

Well Andy, considering the known issues with this kit, I think you achieved a damn fine looking model!!

I think one of the biggest issues is the different booms.
not just right and left, but hand drawn different!
First thing anyone building this needs to do, is pick one side, right or left, of boom and wing parts
and duplicate them (mirrored) so both sides go together the same.

regardless, your P38 looks great to me!

AndyC
04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Dave. I really did scratch my head a bit on this one. I never thought to take a boom and wing and then mirror and print it...omg that right there would have cleared 90% of the problems I had. I will remember that trick next time...if I do another one of these...

KCStephens
04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Andy,
Considering how well your P-38 turned out....I can't wait to see what you will do when you get your hands on a trouble free design. The good thing about models like this is that they really challenge your ingenuity.
Well done and congratulations for not giving up!

AndyC
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Thank you very much!. It was Chris' coaxing that made me keep on it. He was intrigued by the issues which presented a challenge. I couldn't let him down:D! I'm glad I finished it. It's a great subject and with a redraw, could be a great kit. It has just left a bitter-sweet taste behind it. Forward I go.

ghshinn
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
My goodness! What a beautiful aircraft. Glad you kept after it.

Garland

AndyC
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks. I am too especially because I learned a few things being forced to modify parts here and there.

2Kamser
04-30-2010, 06:47 AM
hi Andy
after seeing your build, your son's suggestion for battle damage is something i'm now considering for my build :D:D:D
marvellous work done, really well done considering the constitution of the model itself
you can be proud of yourself
and i hope your son has dropped his suggestion now that it is hanging in his room :D

AndyC
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks. I am proud of the build but I really wanted to do much better than I was able to do. Like I said, it was a learning experience for me. My son, gets any models I felt weren't up to par so he is always hoping for an unfortunate accident with each build.